Has America gone Mad?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: Has America gone Mad?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Anne, Tsvangirai might only have taken office this year but has faced a long, dangerous and very uncertain battle against Mugabe and his party, certainly his life and liberty were threatened and that of his family. I can't help but admire people who stand up to these despotic and dangerous regimes, not for their own glory but to halt what Mugabe is doing to his own people. This is where I have a problem about Nato steeping in and helping in some places in the world and not others, resources are limited I know but Zimbabwe's people have suffered for a good many years. You can't compare Zimbabwe to America, even if you think that the election result of 2000 was the wrong one, it's safe to vote in your elections, in Zimbabwe it's not.

I certainly don't think Obama should have refused the award, the only fault I see is the hastiness in which it was conferred which ultimately hasn't done him any favours.

Chris, I completely agree about the Olympics, it's our turn next and the spending is way over budget. I only hope that when it's over the facilities that have been built are used and not left abandoned, like I saw when I went to Barcelona last year. It's an awful lot of money for two weeks. Having said this, I love the Olympics, I'm glad they exist and why not take a turn at hosting them. Just wish it could have been in better economic times.

From what you all say about your media, our's is a lot more polite and respectful. Some of the papers can get a little carried away but on the whole I'm glad it's as it is.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Ken,

In my post I was refering to my surprise that you didn't vote for either candidate. "Btw I didnt not vote for Mr Obama or Senator McCain."I thought surely you had voted for President Obama. But I do think too much hoopla was made over the fact that we didn't get the Olympics.

Brenda
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

CCFan:

Please don't get me wrong. I would never 'knock' a man for trying to help his people. I agree that often some countries are given aid while others are denied and fall by the wayside. That, in itself is very wrong. I am just so sick and tired of Obama getting grief over every time he blows his nose. No matter what he does, someone finds a way to make it seem wrong. He has received no credit for anything yet this year, and he has achieved some things, but to reverse a several trillion dollar deficit is going to take time, and if he received an award he didn't ask, or compete for, I just think we owe him a few atta-boys.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Well, I'm not going to give Obama grief, I just think the award given a little later in his presidency would be far more meaningful.

I'm the one who gets worked up everytime the Queen's birthday honours are announced and if some one is a celebrity they are bound to get something in the course of their lives. Nowadays Damehoods and Knighthoods are given out like smarties. Dame Elizabeth Taylor, Dame Shirley Bassey, Sir Tom Jones, Sir Elton John, I like all these people. I more applaudhe average man who gives up his time or part of his paycheck and there are some amazing stories out there that just don't get the recognition they deserve. These people are so uplifting. Last week I found out about a couple who had won millions on the lottery and given most of it away to good causes because it gave them so much pleasure, it makes me believe in mankind.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Obama is not the one getting the grief about the award but the panel that gave it to him. However, after reading a Wall Street Journal article on some of the history of the recipients this award is not too far out of line with some of the past winners.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

CCFan:

You're definitely correct in what you say. People like Paul Newman, although an actor who received millions for each movie, started his food line and every penny goes to various children's charities. Although it's more expensive than I can really afford, I buy his stuff for that reason, and when people ask on the phone or outside of the grocery store, I say I donated to Paul Newman.

Movieman1957:

I hear what you're saying, but some people have literally said he should not have 'accepted' the award because he has not been in office long enough. To me, those people are ludicrous just to suggest such a thing.

Anne

charliechaplinfan

God bless Paul Newman. Many celebrities give money and time to charities, many do it discreetly, one day they will be repaid. I suppose in the long run it doesn't really matter about awards given to one another but what one does whilst's one's alive and the sheer pleasure in giving to others.

There have been other controversial recipients of the award. I can't see what good Obama refusing the award would do, it would just give different ammunition for the media to fire.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

In an AP story Liz Sidoti asks the question " Is Obama obnoxiously articulate " ? :( :oops:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ken123:

I just looked up AP/Liz Sodoti and all I could find was stuff from July. Where did you see the article?

Anne

ken123

Post by ken123 »

mrsl wrote:Ken123:

I just looked up AP/Liz Sodoti and all I could find was stuff from July. Where did you see the article?

It was listed @The Huffington Post today. :(
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I'm watching that idiot Pat Buchanan weep crocodile tears over Rush Limbaugh having his group withdraw Rushs name from the the group that want to buy the NFL St. Louis Rams, because of Elrushbo's hateful comments. Old Pat always has tears for the super rich. :cry:
klondike

Post by klondike »

Rush should be grateful this deal went t.u. - if he thinks he had a pain-med addiction problem before, the one thing he doesn't need is to own the team competing with the Raiders & the Lions for dead last in November NFL power rankings.
Mainlining morphine is frowned upon in most administrative skyboxes! :?
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

While the cynic in me thinks this whole thing was a publicity ploy by Rush, who may see his position as the "unofficial" spokesperson of the conservative party being usurped by the eternally teary-eyed Glenn ("the Nobel Peace Prize should have gone to my Tea Baggers" Beck, I have to say it is amusing that Rush and his conservative cronies are crying foul over statements Rush had made in the past being "taken out of context", or, in some cases, Rush alleges, made up entirely. (By those nefarious liberals, naturally).

Can you say "hoisted by his own pitard"?
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Both of them should have gag orders slapped on them.

Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

So when does Goodel call on NBC to get rid of Olbermann. If it is all about image and association this one makes no sense either.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."