POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

Swithin

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button?

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: December 14th, 2022, 10:07 pm
EP Millstone wrote: December 14th, 2022, 9:45 pm After briefly searching the Web for Pro and Con arguments regarding the Like button, I discovered that . . .

There ain't many likes for Likes.

Lotta angst about the deterioration of society. Lotta pearl-clutching and Sturm und Drang from psychologists, sociologists, social scientists, and folks who have waaaaay too much free time on their hands IMO about the pernicious and corrupting effects of the upright thumb and beating heart. Oh, Lawdy! This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a . . .
Sorry, but I just don't understand the reasoning in this. With all the negativity in the world today and especially so expressed via the internet, how and in what possible way could a simple expression of a POSITIVE response to something one has said or shown on the net become viewed as somehow being a "negative", and as long as what was said or shown does NOT press some sort of negative or intolerant thoughts or ideas???

(...nope, just don't get it here...sorry)
:smiley_clap:
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Well, I can tell you this, unlike the TCM board, once you vacate the post before you post it you lose what you have written. This is my third or fourth try at trying to explain the difference between what I was talking about and what I wasn’t and now I’m not sure there is any difference. Yeah, Millstone and Dargo, we should be kinder and gentler to all posters and always remember whatever it is we are supposed to remember, amen, and God bless us all, because time is short Daddy O.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Thompson wrote: December 14th, 2022, 10:31 pm Well, I can tell you this, unlike the TCM board, once you vacate the post before you post it you lose what you have written. This is my third or fourth try at trying to explain the difference between what I was talking about and what I wasn’t and now I’m not sure there is any difference. Yeah, Millstone and Dargo, we should be kinder and gentler to all posters and always remember whatever it is we are supposed to remember, amen, and God bless us all, because time is short daddy oh.
:smilie_happy_thumbup:

Btw Thompson, have you tried hitting the "Save draft" button located below and to the left of the "Preview" and "Submit" buttons and after you've typed into the reply box and before you vacate the reply you've typed but before you've submitted it?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: December 14th, 2022, 6:08 pm Isn't that the dark ages? I get my dates mixed up. Or was that before the dark ages?
I think the dates I gave are considered the Dark Ages, also sometimes referred to as the Early Middle Ages. Though I think there is some confusion, and sometimes the dates very. There may be some scholarly debate about it.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Dargo wrote: December 14th, 2022, 10:41 pm
Thompson wrote: December 14th, 2022, 10:31 pm Well, I can tell you this, unlike the TCM board, once you vacate the post before you post it you lose what you have written. This is my third or fourth try at trying to explain the difference between what I was talking about and what I wasn’t and now I’m not sure there is any difference. Yeah, Millstone and Dargo, we should be kinder and gentler to all posters and always remember whatever it is we are supposed to remember, amen, and God bless us all, because time is short daddy oh.
:smilie_happy_thumbup:

Btw Thompson, have you tried hitting the "Save draft" button located below and to the left of the "Preview" and "Submit" buttons and after you've typed into the reply box and before you vacate the reply you've typed but before you've submitted it?
No, of course not Dargo, I don’t do any of that kinda stuff, are you kidding?
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

But, is there a possibility that a poster who originally voted for the like button can change his/her mind and vote against the like button? Maybe we should look into that. You know how these movements go. With ya one day against ya the next. Hop on the band wagon if you want to at least try to maybe get to second base. No that’s the hayride not the band wagon. Man, when you start to slide it’s a matter of gravity. Gravity is a force, you don’t want to fool around with gravity.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Thompson wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:26 am But, is there a possibility that a poster who originally voted for the like button can change his/her mind and vote against the like button? Maybe we should look into that. You know how these movements go. With ya one day against ya the next. Hop on the band wagon if you want to at least try to maybe get to second base. No that’s the hayride not the band wagon. Man, when you start to slide it’s a matter of gravity. Gravity is a force, you don’t want to fool around with gravity.
The opposite is likely true: a rational poster who originally voted against having a like button might now see, due to the cogency of the better arguments of those in favour of a Iike button, that having a like button wouldn't hurt anyone and would be useful for some.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 15th, 2022, 8:31 am
Thompson wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:26 am But, is there a possibility that a poster who originally voted for the like button can change his/her mind and vote against the like button? Maybe we should look into that. You know how these movements go. With ya one day against ya the next. Hop on the band wagon if you want to at least try to maybe get to second base. No that’s the hayride not the band wagon. Man, when you start to slide it’s a matter of gravity. Gravity is a force, you don’t want to fool around with gravity.
The opposite is likely true: a rational poster who originally voted against having a like button might now see, due to the cogency of the better arguments of those in favour of a Iike button, that having a like button wouldn't hurt anyone and would be useful for some.
I feel like it is just simply far too much pressure to like everything or else you appear rude. That’s a bit different when you have a lot of posts/ reviews to read through and then manually click “Like” when you are done. The alternative is it looks like you are rude or do not care.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Towards the end of the old board since it was on the way out anyways I read every review but also stopped using reactions because it was too much effort for an ultimately fruitless endeavor since the board was being deleted anyways. I always hated the “pressure” or using reactions because if you don’t then it appears ungrateful on your part.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:17 am
I feel like it is just simply far too much pressure to like everything or else you appear rude. That’s a bit different when you have a lot of posts/ reviews to read through and then manually click “Like” when you are done. The alternative is it looks like you are rude or do not care.
I don't think anyone (that I know of) feels obliged to "like" everything, for fear of being rude. Most people are judicious and know how to use the "like" feature. I'm on Facebook. I do have a couple of friends who "like" everything. I call them Facebook sluts. They are also both people who talk too much!
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:21 am

I don't think anyone (that I know of) feels obliged to "like" everything, for fear of being rude. Most people are judicious and know how to use the "like" feature. I'm on Facebook. I do have a couple of friends who "like" everything. I call them Facebook sluts. They are also both people who talk too much!
I am talking specifically movie reviews in review threads where it’s easier to just read them one by one and scroll down then to stop every second and click a reaction.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:22 am
Cuthbert wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:21 am

I am talking specifically movie reviews in review threads where it’s easier to just read them one by one and scroll down then to stop every second and click a reaction.
I'm confused. Apparently you want a like button, but just for liking movie reviews? Every member could like whatever posts someone made, regardless of content.
Still opposed to it.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:19 am ...I always hated the “pressure” or using reactions because if you don’t then it appears ungrateful on your part.
Funny, but all the years I used the "like" or "LOL" button over at TCM.com, not ONCE did I ever feel like either one of these two guys here before doing so ;) ...

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I think we have entered OVERWHELMING Status!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thompson wrote: December 14th, 2022, 7:37 pm Old fogie, huh? Anti is so out, huh? We are only down by two votes , so don’t give me none of that corn. I think we still have a good chance of winning. And really, when you look back on it all, Hibi made the button obsolete with his very cool LIKE! post. That’s what I wanna see from a fellow poster — LIKE!
Well, you're down by a lot more votes today! :D