MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LOL Was there ever a sexier rabbit?

(oh, I left out Patric Knowles and John Mills)
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

LOL Was there ever a sexier rabbit?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

And now, something new to "ponder": The other and maybe too aggressive and/or stuck up and/or too business-minded woman who always loses out getting the guy to the "nicer" woman. My picks for the actresses who often got these roles:

Martha Hyer
Gail Patrick
Dina Merrill
Anne Francis

(...so, who else here?)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Dargo wrote: August 1st, 2023, 7:15 pm And now, something new to "ponder": The other and maybe too aggressive and/or stuck up and/or too business-minded woman who always loses out getting the guy to the "nicer" woman. My picks for the actresses who often got these roles:

Martha Hyer
Gail Patrick
Dina Merrill
Anne Francis

(...so, who else here?)
Angela Lansbury pretty much.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

And now for another name in these regards:

Carolyn Jones

And of whom, btw, I've just discovered of there being a British (primarily television) actress with the same exact name (1941-2018)...

Betcha Swithin knew this.

(...I'd now guess the old SAG rule of not sharing a similar name didn't and wouldn't have applied to actors based in countries other than the U.S.)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: August 1st, 2023, 7:15 pm And now, something new to "ponder": The other and maybe too aggressive and/or stuck up and/or too business-minded woman who always loses out getting the guy to the "nicer" woman. My picks for the actresses who often got these roles:

Martha Hyer
Gail Patrick
Dina Merrill
Anne Francis

(...so, who else here?)

Good ponder topic, Dargo. I will add Rita Johnson although she lucked out marrying Preston Foster and living in that beautiful Western setting from MY FRIEND FLICKA and THUNDERHEAD, SON OF FLICKA.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 4th, 2023, 1:19 pm
Good ponder topic, Dargo. I will add Rita Johnson although she lucked out marrying Preston Foster and living in that beautiful Western setting from MY FRIEND FLICKA and THUNDERHEAD, SON OF FLICKA.
Thanks, Bronxie!

Considering it's been years since I've watched those horse themed movies, I couldn't quite place "Rita Johnson" in my mind here. However and after now Googling her name, I see two of her most prominent roles (and ones I do now recall seeing her in) were 'Here Comes Mr. Jordan' where she played the deceitful wife who has her husband (Robert Montgomery) killed by her lover (the same role decades later Dyan Cannon would play in its remake 'Heaven Can Wait'), and also the role of Robert Young's ill-fated wife in 'They Won't Believe Me'.

And it seems her real life wasn't exactly a bowl of cherries either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_Johnson
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Rita did have a sad life, much like Helen Walker.

Don't forget her ultimate Other Woman role in THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 4th, 2023, 2:32 pm Rita did have a sad life, much like Helen Walker.

I can't think of her role in THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR without hearing "beguiling" in my head.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

And now a couple more ladies who seemed to be cast in this type of role quite often:

Nina Foch
Celeste Holm

(...and who I recall getting confused with each other in my younger days)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 4th, 2023, 2:32 pm Rita did have a sad life, much like Helen Walker.

Helen Walker has given some lovely performances. Although I enjoy her comic turn in Murder, He Says, I think my favorite Helen Walker performance/role is in The Man in Half Moon Street.

j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Martha Hyer
Gail Patrick
Dina Merrill
Anne Francis

(...so, who else here?)
The plots require these women to be separated from their man, so he can marry the leading lady with whom he truly belongs. Any obvious faults on their parts are to make it more acceptable to audiences that they wind up dumped.

Sometimes I would like to see a sequel to one of these films in which one of these discarded women marries a man who has been similarly rejected for someone else, and this couple is so happy neither of them wants back their exes. There actually is a film something like this--Consolation Marriage (1931), in which Irene Dunne marries Pat O'Brien after each of them has been jilted.
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

j.lunatic wrote: August 5th, 2023, 4:57 pm
The plots require these women to be separated from their man, so he can marry the leading lady with whom he truly belongs. Any obvious faults on their parts are to make it more acceptable to audiences that they wind up dumped.

Sometimes I would like to see a sequel to one of these films in which one of these discarded women marries a man who has been similarly rejected for someone else, and this couple is so happy neither of them wants back their exes. There actually is a film something like this--Consolation Marriage (1931), in which Irene Dunne marries Pat O'Brien after each of them has been jilted.
Funny you mentioning this movie here, J.L. Ya see, I caught this film for the first time a short while back on TCM, and remember thinking it probably could've been a lot better if it had been a rom-com instead of a straight drama.

(...and also remember thinking that I'm glad the bulk of Myrna Loy's career consisted of her sporting her natural brunette hair color and not that bleached blonde look she had in this picture)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: August 4th, 2023, 2:52 pm

I can't think of her role in THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR without hearing "beguiling" in my head.

Pamela was insufferable!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: August 4th, 2023, 4:57 pm And now a couple more ladies who seemed to be cast in this type of role quite often:

Nina Foch
Celeste Holm

(...and who I recall getting confused with each other in my younger days)

I can't believe it! (paraphrasing Bette in JEZEBEL) "You're funnin'!"