Rita Hayworth

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hollis

Rita Hayworth

Post by Hollis »

Good afternoon all,

Can someone please explain to me exactly what the fascination with Rita Hayworth was all about? There's no denying she was a beautiful woman, and I know she married into royalty and became a princess, and we've all seen the famous WWII pinup picture, but her acting skills seem marginal at best to me. She was okay in "Gilda" and I just saw parts of "The Loves of Carmen" and for the life of me I can't figure out what all the fuss was about. Are there other, better performances I don't know about? Or was all the to do merely because of her sex appeal? I'd really like to know. I know that today, every time you turn around there seems to be another "star" that's emerged that I've never heard of, and I'm at a loss to explain what creates a "celebrity," but isn't it generally acknowledged that Ms Hayworth was a huge movie star? Please tell me what her status was attributed to if you know. Thanks.

As always,

Hollis
feaito

Post by feaito »

Maybe I'm biased here because I love the lady, but I'd recommend you to check her performances in "Lady From Shanghai", "Separate Tables", "Cover Girl" and "Pal Joey", some of her best films in my opinion. Also check her classy, elegant partnerships with Fred Astaire in "You'll Never Get Rich" and "You Were Never Lovelier", which have some terrific dancing. In fact I think she was one of the best dancing partners Fred ever had.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hello Hollis and Fernando,

I echo Fernando's choices of Miss Hayworth's best movies.
She was Fred Astaire's best dance partner; I believe Mr. Astaire even said that in an interview. She was a great dancer and moved beautifully on camera; that was her forte!!
Her singing was a trifle soft and her acting was competant but not great, although she improved over time.

I think one of her other 'best' performances came in "The Strawberry Blonde" - - up against James Cagney, Jack Carson and Olivia De Havilland - - no small feat.....

Larry
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Thank you Gentlemen (Fernando and Larry)

I had completely forgotten about "The Lady from Shanghai" which aired not all that long ago. Maybe because she had so radically altered her appearance. I'm almost afraid to say this, but... I can't handle Fred Astaire. I've never liked him and musicals aren't exactly what you'd call my strong suit, so it's unlikely I'll be seeing her in any of those roles opposite him. I'll have to take your collective word for it. It's funny, but in "Gilda," when she sang "Put the Blame on Mame," I thought her movements seemed rather stiff and almost forced. But, things aren't always as they seem, so I'm open for criticism and correction! Thanks again for your replies.

As always,

Hollis
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hollis,

Pal Joey (1957) is a great musical that works well as a film. I also felt Rita's performance in The Strawberry Blonde (1941) was a good one. Lady from Shanghai you know, but if you haven't seen Separate Tables (1958) or They Came to Cordura (1959), I urge you to check them out. They show a more mature side of her work and her acting is not shoddy in either picture. Quite the contrary.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Oye why must The Lady from Shanghai be mentioned? LOL I tried watching that movie once and I couldn't get through the first half hour!

Check out Angels Over Broadway. The movie has a good story and I like the interaction between Fairbanks and Hayworth. It doesn't hurt that the movie has one of my favourite character actors in Thomas Mitchell.

They Came to Cordura
is another good performance from Miss Hayworth. In this movie she's playing against type somewhat as she's a bit of a tough cookie but one who eventually has concern for Gary Cooper's character at the end. She isn't the main focus of the movie at all but her performance is quite mesmerizing. She was a million miles away from the sexy femme fatale of her earlier years.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hey Gang!
Your suggestions are all great for RH features, but after viewing all of those, just to balance it all out for a fair retrospective, I'd recommend trying to catch up (and relish it!) with a funky little entry titled Blondie on a Budget; this one will only take you just a little over an hour, start to finish, and it's a fun romp watching the pre-Goddess Rita as Dagwood's ex-girlfriend (!), doing her best to help Baby Dumpling rescue his perennially confused & whining Daddy from Blondie's escalating, slapstick fit of spousal jealousy. A small role, granted, but a good bit of well-staged screentime & dialogue for the then-rookie redhead, already captivating, and here, for a change, appearing happy, calm & relaxed with her assigned role.
If only things had broken better for her, perhaps if the men in her life had been just a little kinder, she might have known many more days of this simple pleasure with her work!
benwhowell

Rita Cansino

Post by benwhowell »

Hollis, "The Lone Wolf Spy Hunt" (1939) is on TCM saturday 10:00 AM EDT. It sounds like a fun "B movie" detective story with Warren William, Ida Lupino and Rita-before the height of her "sex symbol" status.
I'd also love to see some of her later roles-including Clifford Odets' "The Story On Page One," "The Happy Thieves" with Rex Harrison and the low budget independent "The Naked Zoo" (1971.)
And "The Poppy Is Also A Flower-"in which she plays Gilbert Roland's drug addicted wife!
In addition to being one of Fred Astaire's best dance partners, she was probably Gene Kelly's best dance partner too-in "Cover Girl." (And Phil Silvers' too!)
Handsome Johnny Eck
Jezebel38

Rita

Post by Jezebel38 »

Rita has always been one of my favorites, from when I first got into classic films in high school, and I'm sure it was because of her glamourous looks and "movie star" appeal. I also identified with her because I have similar looks (long auburn hair with brown eyes) and a background in dance as she also had. In fact, my local mall had a touring fashion show of Edith Head costumes, and they had a contest for look-alikes and I was chosen to portray Rita. I got to stroll down the runway and vamp to a live band playing "Put the Blame on Mame". There was a bit off a gaffe when I was trying to explain to the promoter that Jean Louis did the gowns for Gilda, and not Edith Head - boy did they give me a dirty look.

Now, I do differentiate between favorite actors, and favorite movie stars, and Rita falls into the second catagory for me. For instance, Betty Grable was a big movie star at that time also, but although she holds less appeal for me, I can enjoy watching her films. I do think Rita became a better actress as her career progresssed, as can be said of other movie stars. I did want to mention Blood and Sand as a particular favorite of mine. I cannot think of another actress who would have been better cast in this role. Most consider this her breakout role, as do I, and she just oozes sensuality in this film. The "aha, torro" moment when she calls Tyrone Power to her, and he kneels before her and she runs her hand through his hair and pulls him up to kiss her, and also the nightclub scene where she dances a Paso Doble with Anthony Quinn - both very hot scenes!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

SPTO,
Thanks for shaking my memory with your mention of the darkly romantic Angels Over Broadway (1940). I've only seen about 15 minutes of this one, but must see the rest sometime. I'm glad that it is on dvd.

Klondike,
Speaking of darkly romantic movies, Blondie on a Budget (1940), made the same year as the one above is certainly evidence that they needed to be versatile in those days! I have a minor weakness (sigh, there must be something about Arthur Lake...) for the Blondie movies, so I will hunt this one down--eventually.

Another movie that I enjoy Rita Hayworth in is the Julien Duvivier anthology, Tales of Manhattan(1942). She gets to romance Charles Boyer, until her addled husband Thomas Mitchell steps in. Hmmm, poor Rita, always playing the bad girl...

Jezebel,
Good for you for straightening those clowns out about the vast distinction between Jean Louis and Edith Head's credits! Something tells me that those philistines may have been somewhat dumbfounded to see you dressed like Rita Hayworth, so it probably went right over their heads.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hollis, The Loves of Carmen is probably one of her worst, so don't take it as representative.

Besides the other fabulous movies mentioned, I urge you to see MISS SADIE THOMPSON (I think she's much better than Joan Crawford in this Maugham classic) and her exceptional supporting role in Howard Hawks' Only Angles Have Wings. Her part was originally even smaller but Hawks saw something in her and added in the business with the water dousing.

Rita was Fred's finest screen partner along with Ginger, for certain.

She radiated vulnerability as well as an ultra-glamorous sex appeal, which is why she was so justly famous.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I had forgotten Rita's supporting role in "Only Angels have Wings". A great film by all accounts. "Angels over Broadway" is an interesting, rather strange film. I'll have to watch it again.

And Moira, I had also forgotten about Rita's partcipation in "Tales of Manhattan". That's a superb film. It ought to be released on DVD. Just like the other film Duvivier made in 1943: "Flesh and Fantasy". I loved the eerie story set during Mardi Gras with Betty Field and Bob Cummings.

A Final note. On a DVD Sale at some web store I bought the DVD edition of an obscure Rita movie titled "Music in My Heart". I found it cute and quite amusing, although it's strictly a fomulaic B picture. Besides, the beautiful song "It's a Blue World" was introduced in it by Tony Martin (although my favorite rendition of that song is by the supreme Ella Fitzgerald).