The Proud Ones

mrsl

The Proud Ones

Post by mrsl »

I don't know how many of you are aware that cinemalover has a terrific thread under General Chat about his Friday nights with his family where they all sit and watch one or two movies, rate them, then on Saturday or Sunday, he does his own review here.

The other day he did a review of The Proud Ones which was really good. This is running on the Western Channel of Encore this month and stars Robert Ryan, and Jeffrey Hunter. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and enjoyed it again while reading Chris' review.

I know he posts his reviews over on TCM and copies them over here, but the movies they watch are all genres so he can't keep copying under each different thread, so they all go under the one. You would do well to check it out every couple of days, because of course they are older movies, and you won't get any kind of lengthy review anywhere else. His are better than most of TCM or imdB's.

Being a Western addict, I've seen most of the westerns he writes about, so it's fun for me to compare notes silently with his. I also like about 65% of the rest of the movies they watch. They also do horror, teenage, and TCM underground, and those are the ones I skip over, but on the whole I look forward to new reviews every few days.

As for The Proud Ones, it's a very good western and all he says about it is true and it is worthy of your giving it a look. You really don't even have to be a western fan, because the story may be set in the old west, but could be anywhere, at any time.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi Anne:

I like Chris's reviews as well. I think it's great he can get his whole family to sit and watch something. It's hard enough for me to get my family in the same room for five minutes, never mind a movie. Written with great care for our benefit he performs a fine service and it makes for a good discussion.

Since you, Chris and Judith all like "The Proud Ones" (and I can't believe I've never seen it) it's going on my list.

If you get a chance tonight is Henry Fonda western night on TCM.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Thanks, Anne and Chris. You are both too kind. I actually moved all the old reviews over from TCM and will no longer be posting there for a variety of reasons.

As far as getting the family together on Friday nights it is one of the biggest pleasures in my life. Lately we've been watching the tv show Smallville instead of movies, but that will run its course. I was pleasantly surprised to find one show that each of us could enjoy on entirely different levels. (Some weeks are very challenging to find movies that appeal to all of us).

Jeremy loves the action, Tina loves the teenage life, and the fact that the star is a hunk doesn't hurt. Karie enjoys the ongoing drama and story arc. I grew up as a comic nerd so I enjoy a different take on a classic hero.

Back to The Proud Ones, it's a good flick. It's a 20th Century Fox film, so it may never show up on TCM, I'd recommend catching it where ever you can.
Last edited by cinemalover on October 11th, 2007, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

I'd also like to chime in and say I always look forward to Cinemalover's reviews. I like the variety and that there's newer movies and tv shows in the mix. Have you ever considered being a movie reviewer by profession, Cinemalover?
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Thanks, Brad.
In the past I never had a ton of respect for the people who write movie reviews. From a distance it looks like a pretty cushy vocation. Since I've tried to write my own I have a whole new appreciation for the reviewers out there who can consistently capture the spirit and uniqeness of a film within a few paragraphs. I'm not even in their stratosphere. But I enjoy it, and I've learned from doing it. I pay much closer attention to small details than I used to and I'm able to put more names to more background faces than I ever could. I actually keep a composition book next to my well-worn lounge chair to jot down notes and quotes while I'm watching. And I love hearing how my wife and kids rate the movies compared to my own opinion.
Chris

bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

I know on the surface it seems like reviewing movies would be a fun job, and I'm sure sometimes it is. But if you stop and think about it, just imagine all the crappy movies they not only have to sit through, but pay attention to. I would be dying to "tune out" a bad movie I was subjected to :)
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Brad,
You couldn't be more correct. Any critic forced to review every current release would be in for some very painful views. Though from reading some of the reviews, it appears that there are some writers out there that just take their notes from the press packet and never subject themselves to the agony of the film.

This thread says "Proud Ones" across the top. So, I figured I'll toss in my review of it from the other thread and hope to elicit people's opinion on the film.
What are your feelings about The Proud Ones?

Date watched:10/7/2007
Title: The Proud Ones Made: 1956
Genre: Western Studio: 20th Century Fox
Format: DVD Extras: FS/WS
Number of times viewed: 2

Stars:
Robert Ryan--Marshal Cass Silver
Virginia Mayo--Sally
Jeffrey Hunter--Thad Anderson
Walter Brennan--Deputy Jake
Robert Middleton--"Honest John" Barrett
Arthur O'Connell--Deputy Jim Dexter
Ken Clark--Pike
Rudolfo Acosta--Chico
George Mathews--Dillon
Fay Roope--Markum
Edward Platt--Dr. Barrow
Whit Bissell--Sam Bolton

Tagline: When the law is broken, justice can't be far behind.

A quiet town is about to undergo a radical personality change. A recently completed railroad depot is going to turn the place into a rowdy boomtown as cattle herds from all over will be driven there to get transported to market. With the herds come the trail hands just itching to whooop it up and spend their wages. The local business men are drooling at the prospect of overflowing profits, which blinds them to the potential dangers to the citizens. That's where Marshal Cass Silver (Ryan) comes in. It's his job to maintain the peace and protect the townsfolk. He takes his job very seriously and rides out to meet the first group of trailhands who are approaching his town.

Cass, "You're the first trail crew to come in here and I don't want any trouble...so let's keep everything nice and peaceful. As soon as anybody draws a gun, I've got to go to work. I don't like hard work. My ambition is to be the oldest living marshal west of Kansas City!"

The trail crew includes Thad Anderson (Hunter) who believes that Cass murdered his father and had revenge on his mind. When he confronts Cass about his father, Cass tries to explain that Thad's dad was no angel.
Cass, "It was him or me, I've never drawn on an unarmed man in my life!" A fact that will come into question later in the film.

Thad is young and headstrong and his immediate reaction is to try to get a job with Cass' nemesis, "Honest John" Barrett (Middleton), who runs a gambling saloon rigged to empty the wallets of the trail crews. Honest John and Cass have a troubled history. At the last town they were both working and when Cass wanted to shut down Honest John's gambling operation his girlfriend, Sally (Mayo), talked him out of it. She convinced Cass to move to this new town with her and lead a peaceful, happy life. Honest John interpreted this as cowardice on Cass' part, so he thinks that he will be able to walk all over Cass once again in this new town of opportunity. Honest John couldn't be further from the truth. Cass has no intention of turning the other cheek, no matter how strenuously Sally pleads.

Honest Johns response to Thad's employment inquiry, "You don't come with the best recommendations. You've got a temper and a dead gunslinger for a father!"

Thad's pride leads him back to Cass. He is now open to the possibility that Cass' story may be at least partially true. So he goes to work for him as a deputy. Cass tries to teach Thad how to survive as a lawman.

Thad, "I can take care of myself!"
Cass, "Taking care of yourself is one thing, taking care of a town is another!"

After Cass arrests Dillon (Mathews), who runs the saloon for Honest John, for murder Honest John won't sit still. He assigns his men Pike (Clark) and Chico (Acosta) to kill the Marshal while he's walking his night rounds. While this has been going on Cass has been having trouble with his vision. When he bends over he gets a headache and his sight temporarily goes blurry. He has kept this fact from his deputies. That evening he bends to pick something up and his vision goes out. Chico and Pike pounce on the opportunity and fire at the Marshal as though he were big game. Cass manages to stumble down an allety and escape his pursuers.

Days later when Chico is out in the streets drunk and threatening Cass, Cass shoots him. When the townsfolk search Chico's body no gun is found. The town turns on Cass believing him to be a trigger happy murderer. These flames are fanned by the business men who feel that Cass' protective services are scaring away some of their profits.

Can Cass prove his innocence and get the town to realize the danger they have put themselves in or has Cass turned vigilante to settle his old score with Honest John?

Ryan is the master of the face contortion when he's angry, and he has plenty to be angry about in this film. Hunter gives one of his better performances and shows a decent range of emotion as his opinion of Cass morphs. Middleton is a professional villain and fits the part perfectly. Walter Brennan has a small role as Cass' Deputy Jake, but he wrangles every scene to his advantage.

In an otherwise ordinary story the background issues between Honest John and Cass add layers of interest. The question of whether the Marshal is protecting the town or his own pride is an interesting one. Adult oater that doesn't pretend all answers wear white or black hats.

7* (out of 10) I would have loved to have seen Gary Cooper in the role of the Marshal.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks Chris:

I didn't feel it was my place to copy it over to here, and that is the reason I named this thread as I did . . . to get your attention . . . and you came through. I don't know if you realize it, but western fans are few and far between on this particular site, and I knew many people wouldn't see the movie unless urged onto it by your review.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Happy to oblige, Anne.
Okay, all you cowpokes out there, have you seen this movie? What do you think of Ryan as the heroic, and sometimes romantic, lead? This tough hombre walked away from a fight against Honest John with his tail between his legs to resettle with his girl in a new location. Does the Marshal's testosterone level demand compensation at the price of his own values?

Does this come across as just another sagebrush-opera or is there a deeper, psychological level waiting to be explored?
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched "The Proud Ones" last night and while ok I must say I'm not as enthused as much as the rest of you.

Brennan (with a mustache) seemed wasted. Hunter didn't have a great deal to do. They spent a good deal of time on O'Connell's home situation. For me, it took some time to get rolling. Ryan's vision issue showed right on cue in the finale. Mayo had less to do than Brennan.

Having said that I thought Ryan was very good. Very matter-of-fact, no nonsense sheriff. He wants to keep the town clean but smart enoough to know he needs help.

Not great but enjoyable enough that I'm glad I saw it.

Keep those suggestions coming.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I bought the westerns box set several weeks ago that contained The Proud Ones and the main reason I did so was for this movie and for Broken Lance.

I found it to be a good western, not a great one. I agree the supporting players this time around didn't have enough to do, except Robert Middleton, who was there to provide the main conflict. It mostly fell on Ryan's shoulders to carry the film and he did on the strength of my admiration for him as an actor.

Whether there are deeper issues or meanings hidden in the film I can't say for sure. If there were, I'm afraid I missed most of them.

In a way, I felt Jeffrey Hunter's character switched over to Ryan's side too quickly. I wanted that switch to take place either in the very beginning of the film or closer to the end.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

MissGoddess,
I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, though perhaps not as much as I did. Did that boxed set also contain Forty Guns? It sounds like I may have bought the same set as you did. Forty Guns is a ton of fun with Barbara Stanwyck as the tough matriarch of a ranch that likes to push everyone else around. Good set all the way around.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Chris,
I thought the back story between Honest John and Cass made it more interesting than your run-of-the-mill western. They gave us some of the details but I think a lot of what happened was left to our imagination. Brennan's part was small but you always knew he was floating around the background because he was so memorable. Miss Goddess's point about Hunter switching sides too quickly being unrealistic is true, but I think it was only done to keep the plot moving forward. There were enough sub-plots already but that sudden shift didn't feel accurate to the character.
Chris

Vienna

Re: The Proud Ones

Post by Vienna »

I like THE PROUD ONES. for a start, it stars Robert Ryan and Virginia Mayo.
CinemaLover mentions how Jeffrey Hunter's opinion of Robert Ryan morphs. True too that Hunter's character morphs into Ryan, even dressing like him at the end!
There is a touch of High Noon too, with Ryan wanting a second chance, having deserted another town without facing up to Robert Middleton.
I agree Walter Brennan didn't have enough to do.