Shhhhh! It's Time to Pick Your Bestavorite Silents!

Chit-chat, current events
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Welcome aboard, Klondike.
I will accept your five films with pleasure. Anyone who wants to submit less than 25 is fine. But, as I found out last night when trying to tabulate all the entries to date, 25 from each individual adds up quickly. So please, no more than 25, my math skills can't keep up!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
melwalton

brest films

Post by melwalton »

Chris, It would, likely, take up too much time and space but it would be very interesting and enlightening to have posts ( very brief, of course ) explaining WHY someone picked a certain movie, I mean what they liked about it. Might require another thread. .... mel
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Mel,
That's an interesting idea and would be a logical extension of this thread. I was thinking that once we get down to the 64 finalists and have one on one matchups that we would allow people to post their reasons why people should vote for one movie over another. Kind of campaigning for their choices to make it through each round. It could lead to some interesting (friendly) debate.
Chris

movieman

25 favourite movies

Post by movieman »

25 favourite movies (in no particular order) This is a hard task…:

1. Psycho (1960)
2. The Night of the Hunter (1955)
3. Out of the Past (1947)
4. White Heat (1949)
5. Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
6. North by Northwest (1959)
7. Night of the Demon (1957)
8. Warlock (1959)
9. Repulsion (1965)
De dødes tjern (1958) - Norway
Run for the Sun (1956)
L.A. Confidential (1997)
Canyon Passage (1946)
Viva Las Vegas (1964)
The Wind (1928)
Reprise (2006) - Norway
La Frusta e il corpo (The Whip and the Body) (1963)
The Killers (1946)
Ordinary People (1980)
The Last Sunset (1961)
Darby O’Gill and the Little People (1959)
The Illusionist (2006)
The Chase (1966)
D. O. A. (1950)
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)

-----Updated: nov. 16-----

Phew! I had to remove some favourites to narrow it down to 25...

Mr. Even (28 years old)
Last edited by movieman on November 16th, 2007, 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

Ok, here's my list(for now). Except for the number 1 spot, these will all be at random, as they come to mind for now, and may be subject to change.

Ben Hur (without a doubt the most awesome movie experience for me)
The Ten Commandments
It's A Wonderful Life
To Kill A Mockingbird
Double Indemnity
The Godfather
American In Paris
Singin In The Rain
Shane
Wizard Of Oz
Casablanca
Rio Grande
Twelve Angry Men
Grease
Treasure of Sierra Madre
Funny Face
My Fair Lady
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
Fiddler On The Roof
The Yearling
West Side Story
Meet Me In St Louis
Swing Time
For Love Of The Game
Brokeback Mountain

Boy, that was hard :? I'm sure I'll think of some changes. Love the lists so far.
bradtexasranger

Ok, I already see a change I need to make :) I can't believe I forgot about Now, Voyager ; that absolutely HAS to be on my list. So, goodbye, For Love Of The Game :)
movieman

Some other movies I love which has been mentioned (or not)

Post by movieman »

The Ten Commandments (1956)

Written on the Wind (1956) No Sirk films on the lists. Maybe they're considered female weepies, but the cinematography is beautiful (picture compositions, colors, symbolic use of colors and so on...)

Man Without a Star (1955) Jeanne Crain is wonderful in this one... and Kirk Douglas of course.

Big (1988)

Ok, I'll stop right there, but it was tempting to mention a few more.

Mr. Even
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Brad and movieman,
Thanks for adding your picks to our growing collection. Each of you added choices that no one previously had, that's great. This will be really tough to narrow down to 64 finalists.

Movieman what can you tell me about Be dodes tjern? I'm not familiar with it.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris

movieman

De dødes tjern

Post by movieman »

Hi, Chris!

Thank you for your comments!

De Dødes Tjern (1958) or Pond of the Dead is a norwegian horror/suspense movie. It certainly isn't particularly horriffic to me nowadays, but it was when I was younger. It is generally regarded as one of the best Norwegian movies ever made. And still, no DVD release!!!

It was filmed in black and white.

It was the first norwegian movie in a widescreen format (Agascope). There were many different scope formats over the world or different names for the same thing.

The movie was based on a well known crime novel (1942) by a very well known norwegian author/poet André Bjerke (my favourite norwegian author).
The novel was the authors second novel. His debut novel came in 1941.
The author himself plays one of the key characters in the movie.
The plot is centered around this small lake/pond in the woods and a group of people visiting a cabin next to it.
The author André Bjerke was the first one in Norway to bring Freud's psychoanalysis into the crime novel.
The psychoanalysis plays a big part in the solution to the mystery.

Many of the picture compositions are beautiful, I must say...

The novel is considered a masterpiece of norwegian crime literature.

Hope this satisfied your curiosity.

Sincerely

Mr. Even
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Thanks, Mr. Even,
I always enjoy learning about new movies. It sounds like something I might enjoy (of course it would have to have english subs for me). Thanks for the description!
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

With the latest entries added in we now have 41 films with multiple votes and over 300 total films submitted.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I would love to see some lists from any of the recently joined members (thanks Mel and movieman for being newbies that have already shared your lists). This is a nice place to start to let us get to know about your tastes in movies!
Chris

melwalton

lists

Post by melwalton »

Glad to, Chris. For me it's a labor of love, I do so enjoy topics such as this one. Can't think of anything I'd rather be doing. cheers ,,,,,, mel
Last edited by melwalton on November 12th, 2007, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradtexasranger

A couple of films I can't believe I forgot about :

Gilda
Forrest Gump
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS, PLEASE READ

First of all, thank you to all of you that have submitted our lists. If I had known that so many were going to respond so quickly I would have put a shorter time-frame so we don't lose momentum. But I said November 30th is the deadline so I'll stay truthful to that. That means there are 15 days until all the votes are due in to narrow down our field to 64 films. Right now we have had over 300 different films nominated. If the contest were to end today the 41 films with multiple votes would all automatically be included in the final 64. And we would have 260+ films tied for those final 23 spots. So I need your help. I'm going to ask all participants to take note of the following guidelines:

In order to better define which films will make the cut and which ones won't I am going to use the numbers by which they are ranked. In other words if you have labeled your films #1-#25, a film that is ranked by one person as a #2 will carry slightly more weight than a film rated by another person as a #21. I'm asking that if your films are numbered that you make sure that they are in the order you want them. If you don't want your films prioritized (as some have requested) that's fine, just please remove the numbers from your list and leave only the titles of the 25 films. One participant mentioned that they only prioritized the first five films on their list. That's okay too. Just list the first five films numerically and don't number the remaining 20 films. I hope I'm making sense. Please feel free to ask any questions if I'm not. For lists that are not numbered, all of the films will carry a middle value (say a #12 for example). This will not only help to eliminate films from the 64 but it will help me with the seeding (#1-#64) for the match-up competitions. Now is the time to campaign for films you love with single votes. If someone else adds a film to their list to give it a second vote that could be all it needs to make the cut.

And, as you know any lists can be changed and updated all the way through 11:59pm (Pacific time since I'm on the left coast) on November 30th.

Thanks for playing the game.
Chris