poetry

Chit-chat, current events
Detective Jim McLeod

Re: poetry

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

In 1988, I went to a Dark Shadows convention where Jonathan Frid (he played Barnabas the vampire) and Lara Parker (Angelique the witch) did a reading of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Bells". It was a very memorable moment, here is an excerpt-

Keeping time, time, time,
In a sort of Runic rhyme,
To the throbbing of the bells—
Of the bells, bells, bells—
To the sobbing of the bells;
Keeping time, time, time,
As he knells, knells, knells,
In a happy Runic rhyme,
To the rolling of the bells—
Of the bells, bells, bells—
To the tolling of the bells,
Of the bells, bells, bells, bells—
Bells, bells, bells—
To the moaning and the groaning of the bells.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: March 16th, 2023, 9:26 am In 1988, I went to a Dark Shadows convention where Jonathan Frid (he played Barnabas the vampire) and Lara Parker (Angelique the witch) did a reading of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Bells". . .
I saw Frid onstage twice. Once in a traveling production of Arsenic and Old Lace and once in one of his "readers' theatre" one-man shows. During his one-man performance, two chattering magpies in the audience were gabbing to one another. Frid stopped reading, removed his glasses, and silently stared at the women . . . who instantly shut up. He then resumed his reading.

I saw Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie Evans) at a showing of House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows. After the show, Parker and Scott were in the theatre lobby. A friend of mine, who accompanied me, boldly approached them to chat. I would never have dared. Pointing to me, she informed Parker, "He's got a crush on you."

I was mortified and could have strangled her.

Parker said, "Oh, really!" smiled, then softly touched my face with one of her hands. A Memorable Moment courtesy of my friend's chutzpah.
Last edited by EP Millstone on March 17th, 2023, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

EP Millstone wrote: March 16th, 2023, 7:21 pm

I saw Frid onstage twice. Once in a traveling production of Arsenic and Old Lace and once in one of his "readers' theatre" one-man shows. During his one-man performance, two chattering magpies in the audience were gabbing to one another. Frid stopped reading, removed his glasses, and silently stared at the women . . . who instantly shut up. He then resumed his reading.

I saw Lara Parker and Katherine Leigh Scott (Maggie Evans) at a showing of House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows. After the show, Parker and Scott were in the theatre lobby. A friend of mine, who accompanied me, boldly approached them to chat. I would never have dared. Pointing to me, she informed Parker, "He's got a crush on you."

I was mortified and could have strangled her.

Parker said, "Oh, really!" smiled, then softly touched my face with one of her hands. A Memorable Moment courtesy of my friend's chutzpah.
Great story, I got autographs from Frid, Parker and Roger Davis (Jeff Clark) at that same show. I was afraid to look Parker in the eyes, thinking she might put a spell on me! But I always thought she was really sexy. There were other attractive women on the show. I had a crush on Nancy Barrett, who played cute blonde Carolyn. Kathryn Leigh Scott was very pretty too.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: March 17th, 2023, 7:16 am Great story, I got autographs from Frid, Parker and Roger Davis (Jeff Clark) at that same show . . .
Detective Jim McLeod,

At the Shock IT to Me event in San Francisco that I attended, only Lara Parker and Kathyrn Leigh Scott were the guests. I would have loved to seen the lineup that you saw.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: March 16th, 2023, 3:54 am
Thompson wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:00 pm
Swithin wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 2:13 pm

I quoted a John Donne poem for you, but it was in the horror film discussion in another thread. It's in the "Really..." thread, as part of the horror film conversation there.

viewtopic.php?p=175028#p175028
This has to be one of the twenty threads Poetry on the new SSO format. Classical music we'll have to keep for Laffite and his fellow long hairs, maybe I should be in charge of this forum.
:smiley_shock:

:D
Greetings from London, Laffite. I love your new avatar, and the movie it celebrates. One of Marcello's best.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Cheerio, mate! I salute your great taste in liking that one. Top Five all time for me.

FYI to others in case you don't know it already : La Nuit de Varennes (1982)
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

The Emperor Hadrian's dying words-
Animula vagula blandula
Hospes comesque corporis
Quae nunc abibis in loca?
Pallidula rigida nudula
Nec ut soles dabis iocos
Poor little, wandering, charming soul
Guest and companion of my body,
What place will you go to now?
Pale, stiff, naked little thing,
Nor will you be making jokes as you always do.
Masha

Post by Masha »

The Weldor's Weld
by Sonia Balcer 8/21/82

Wherefore must I wear a mask when
I hold in my hand, the pen
wherewith I write poetry with fire?

How I long to discover the secrets that are hidden
in the theater before me;
to behold the movement of tiny, metal
particles, as they waltz and interlock
in a world within a world;
as they pirouette between the boundaries set
by the fire which frees them to move.

Oh, Lord in heaven! Why are not human eyes made
to see this wonder directly?
Must I always hold this dark glass before me?

Hark! He causes my heart, to see the mystery!
The metals are assaulted, by electric energy,
carried by heaving, heavy wires. In a molten flash,
I see the crystals breaking, and sighing;
the silent order of the solid surface, giving way
to rushing, hotly-radiant tides
that crash together like waves at a beach.

It swirls before me, an intricate dance
which I cannot see, but yet feel inside.

I delight to caress the molten piece
in my heart.
It is inside of me, and I am inside of it.
I slowly feel over and underneath
the hot liquid surfaces.
I move into its every contour, and through
the whole of it.

Bodies of metal, which once were separate;
the boundaries are fading.
It swirls and whirlpools within me-
It is all blurred now, caught
Into a quickly-freezing body of what once
was separate, but now is together,

a single piece.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Laffite and I woke up about the same time and bumped into each other in the middle room. I made each of us a glass of Tang. After we cleared our heads and smoked a couple of cigarettes we decided on Antoines for brunch. The bus is only 40 cents for old timers and the bus driver didn't ask to see our IDs. On the way to the Quarter we talked about classical music and the menu at Antoines. I suggested a dozen each of Oysters Rockefeller and two of their world famous green bean Bloody Mary's to start. Build our strength up. Luckily Laffite reads French so he can choose his own entree. He went with the Grillades and Grits. After brunch the mood was greatly improved. I asked L what he thought about the grub - and he said - Pure Poetry!
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I had a couple previous posts - granted they lacked in general appeal - but to delete them or move them begs the big question - How do you justify that? What was offensive? Somebody complained, is that it? Who complained? Laffite? That can't be, I made us both a Tang and rode the bus downtown with him and we punched each other on the arm when one of us came up with a good one. So what's the skinny here?
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Thompson.....You are very entertaining!!!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

The more I think about it the more mad I get. Poetry. It's a big spit in a small spittoon.
Last edited by Thompson on April 6th, 2023, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I think it's time for a poem by H.D.

Oread
BY H.D.

Whirl up, sea—
whirl your pointed pines,
splash your great pines
on our rocks,
hurl your green over us,
cover us with your pools of fir.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

The police arrived with two cop cars and a German Shepherd. They said Where is Laffite? He's wanted on two counts of obstructing a sidewalk and one count of rolling unauthorized into the gutter. You his partner are ya, Thompson? Hiding him out? Your rep down at HQ ain't stellar you know Thompson so where is he? Just then the German Shepherd broke loose and went after the feral cats that hang around and brother that was a mistake on the dog's part. The cops took some time getting the wounded police dog back to safety. Then Laffite showed up with hot sausage Po-Boys from Vicki's and here I thought he was on the Greyhound bus bound for home. So doing some quick thinking I introduced him as my twin brother even though we don't look alike but the cops bought the story after Laffite said to the coppers These Po-Boys are for you, me and my brother write poetry, we live a quiet poetic kind of life. Sorry about your dog.