The Women in His Life (1933)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

The Women in His Life (1933)

Post by moira finnie »

Think of Otto Kruger. "Boo" and "hiss" come to mind along with his curly hair, light blue eyes, and untrustworthy grin. He's a familiar, suave bad guy who pops up in lots of '30s, '40s and '50s flicks, right?
Though on occasion he had a chance to play a good joe like Doctor Livesey in Treasure Island (1934), maybe he's best remembered for his appearances as a superficially pleasant fellow in such Hitchcock movies as 1941's Saboteur (supposedly Hitch didn't want him in that one, 'cause he thought he was an overly familiar nogoodnik by that time) or the society quack in Murder, My Sweet who feels superior to private detective Dick Powell and just about everyone else on the planet. Then there's his other well-remembered nice guy part from the sobfest Magnificent Obsession (1954) in which he has the thankless task of guiding Rock Hudson from the path of selfishness to enlightenment.

This afternoon I saw a movie starring Kruger (seen above with co-star Ben Lyon) called The Women in His Life (1933) that was unlike just about any other movie the guy ever played in. This is the second time I saw this, and as an acting--and maybe over-acting tour de force, it just knocked me out.

Kruger played an interesting, rather complex character who was a big shot NY lawyer who specialized in getting the guilty sprung and in his spare time occasionally went off the rails and drank himself into a stupor. He also tended to treat women--his clients and his staff--like kleenex. At least all but Una Merkel, whose faithful gal friday put up with him while voicing her concern for him. Isabel Jewell, who so often was relegated to small, insignificant parts in films, played the lawyer's most faithful girlfriend, who goes off to Florida with him on vacation despite his cavalier, even cold attitude. With her wounded puppy eyes, Isabel is probably the perfect choice for this part. The viewer can also never truly be sure if she's working an angle by being with Kruger or if she's really in love with him. Even she must wonder, since, as she says, whenever they're in a crowd, he looks at all the faces of the people "as though he's searching for a ghost".

Kruger gets to play a character who completely breaks down during the course of the film. In two scenes in particular, when he realizes that the woman he loved and married and who left him ten years before is dead, his sophisticated shell breaks along with a framed photo of his former wife that he crushes between his hands. It really looks as though it left the actor bleeding. He then goes off on a bender, which ends at a cemetery in utter despair, crying on her grave in the rain. Now normally I would've started laughing at such melodramatics, but Kruger does these scenes with such force and sense of reality, I was completely swept along by the conviction in his acting.

I don't want to spoil the ending of this movie for anyone by describing more of the plot, but this fast-paced movie, directed by George Seitz and well written by F. Hugh Herbert, (the screenwriter, not the comedian), packs a good plot and some outstanding acting into its brief running time of 75 minutes. I hope that you'll post your thoughts here if you saw this movie.

Btw, the presence of Roscoe Karns as Kruger's investigator is very amusing in his patented smart aleck way.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I was all set to record this one, but got busy and forgot. Arrgh! Why is it the good ones always get away?
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

I messed up and missed this one too - except for the last 10 minutes. What I saw looked really good - a guy was on his way to the electric chair and all the expressionist film angles and shadowing that Dewey was raving about in Stranger on the Third Floor were on display in this climactic scene of this 1933 flick. I happen to like Otto Kruger - he reminds me of someone I know in real life. I can only hope TCM will show this again in the near future.
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

I missed about the first 10 minutes of THE WOMEN IN HIS LIFE, but stayed around for the rest. Pretty good potboiler with a nail-biting finale. Otto Kruger is one actor I'll watch any time, any place. Such an assured actor, and such a great voice!

Funny thing is, my perception of Kruger is the opposite of yours, Moira. I always thought him a good guy who played an occasional bad guy. He was essentially noble as Dr. Livesey in TREASURE ISLAND, or Madge Evans' suitor in BEAUTY FOR SALE, or Gloria Holden's pursuer in DRACULA'S DAUGHTER. He's also the prosperous guy who essentially switches places with Lee Tracy in TURN BACK THE CLOCK, which I recently named among my 25 favorite films. Among his bad-guy roles, I particularly remember him as Edward G. Robinson's shyster rival in I AM THE LAW.

Kruger was a voice coach as well as an actor, and he originally came to Hollywood in that capacity in the early days of the talkies. But he was soon in demand as an actor too, and he continued to give voice lessons on the set of just about every movie he worked in!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

HI Moira,

I recorded it and am so glad because I really enjoyed watching it. Like CoffeDan, I've seen him play several sympathetic leading men and only occasionally a smarmy one, so I wasn't surprised by that---just at where the plot and characterization took him. I didn't expect things to zig-zag like that. Una was great and she and Roscoe Karns were in a couple of snappy pre-codes back then. They seemed to have each other's number down pat. :wink: I love Isabel Jewell---she's aptly named, a wonderful, wonderful comedic performer and sweet here as a sympathetic girlfriend.

I also noticed that the budget for the ladies wardrobe in this movie seemed to have been either higher than usual, or the desiger was especially inspired. The outfits were really gorgeous and unique.

It seems to me that Otto Kruger and Lewis Stone pretty much had the "old fox" roles sewn up between them. They frequently co-starred romantically with the most glamorous young stars. That's something that would never, ever fly today.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Kruger was a voice coach as well as an actor, and he originally came to Hollywood in that capacity in the early days of the talkies. But he was soon in demand as an actor too, and he continued to give voice lessons on the set of just about every movie he worked in!~CoffeeDan
Hi Dan & Miss G.,
Not only was Otto Kruger a voice coach, but he was also a nearly professional level pianist who dabbled in classical composition and even played a mean game of golf and tennis! Though I do think that he left an indelible mark as a bad guy, I've always enjoyed his smooth style and found this little movie to be a marvelous change of pace, since his character was more multi-dimensional than usual. Oh, and his great-uncle Paul Krüger, was one of the Transvaal decendents of Prussian immigrants who pioneered the South African state and fought the British Empire during the Boer War. He had served as president of the Transvaal State and yes, the Krügerrand coin is named for the actor's great uncle.

If you have time, you might like to click here, and check out Otto Kruger's 35 year Broadway career, during which he seemed to be cast quite often in comedies. He appeared in plays produced by Cohan & Harris and David Belasco, some of which were from the pens of Eugene O'Neill, Clemence Dane, and George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart and he appeared with everyone from Edward Arnold to Mary Boland to Percy Helton on stage! Boy, wouldn't he have been interesting to interview?

One more movie role I like him in: Cover Girl(1944), as the older man who is enchanted with his former love all over again when he spies Rita Hayworth in all her technicolor glory.
A man of many parts, indeed!
Otto, sometime in the '30s, listening to his muse on the radio perhaps?
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

I thought that there was a lot of good to be said about this film but that I had to really pay attention to discover any of it, because Otto Kruger's performance was so dynamic and so obvious over the top of everything else that it effectively blanketed it all out.

Yes, there are other people in this film except him. I think.

Yes, some of these people even have lines. I think.

Give me a week, and I'll have forgotten everything except Kruger.