All Mine to Give (1957) Sunday Dec. 23rd at Noon EST

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bogie

All Mine to Give (1957) Sunday Dec. 23rd at Noon EST

Post by Bogie »

I know this is a bit of bad time for those on the west coast but I saw this movie last year on TCM and let me tell you as someone who doesn't go for weepies....well this one made me break down and cry.

It's about a Scottish immigrant family in 1850s America and it chronicles the growth of the family from just mother and father to a huge family. Tragedy strikes as death and disease takes away the authority figures in the family.

This movie has some great acting by Glynis Johns and Cameron Mitchell as the parents and the children acted very appropriately. This movie made me cry like a baby and if it can do that to a somewhat jaded movie watcher then it'll likely do the same to you!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I admit it too--it's a heartbreaker and more true to life in many ways than expected. This flick has everything but the wolves nipping at the behinds of the poor Scottish immigrant family making their way in Canada. Hmm, come to think of it, maybe it does have some wolves in close proximity of someone...
I loved Cameron Mitchell & Glynis Johns in this one. Look for the scene when she's "needling" Reta Shaw, who's a dandy villain.
Now if only someone would unearth another Canadian immigrants making their way in the wilderness tale with Dick Powell & Evelyn Keyes called Mrs. Mike(1949)...

One thing that bugged me about "All Mine"...Patty McCormick's braids look so tight they must've been cutting off her circulation to her skull.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Does anyone know what aspect ratio All Mine to Give was filmed in? I recorded it last year off TCM and it is full-frame. I thought that it would be in widescreen.

Lovely film, though. Definitely a tearjerker!

Sandy K
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Sandy,
IMDb lists All Mine To Give as filmed in a 1.85:1 ratio. IMDb is far from a perfect source, but considering the year the film was made that's probably accurate.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Bogie:

I love your self description of a 'jaded movie watcher' as I am one also. It takes a lot for me to believe, laugh, or cry at any movie, but All Mine to Give did it with little to no trying. We all discussed it last year but very quickly and not in much depth. Leave it to Moira to bring up Reta Shaw, who was a villainess supreme. The only doubt I had was that the brother left one of the children with a couple who looked older than the doctor and his wife, and I noticed that way back the first time I saw the movie in the 60's, yet his reason for not leaving one of them with Doc was that he was too old.

This is a 'must see' for any classic movie fan. We don't get them like this one anymore :cry:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

cinemalover wrote:Hi Sandy,
IMDb lists All Mine To Give as filmed in a 1.85:1 ratio. IMDb is far from a perfect source, but considering the year the film was made that's probably accurate.
Hmmm...so that means that it SHOULD be letterboxed, am I correct?

Sandy K