They Came to Cordura (1959)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

They Came to Cordura (1959)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Any other fans of this one showing tomorrow (Saturday) morning? I caught it the last time it aired and was pleasantly surprised. A nice little film with Gary Cooper as a Major in the U.S. Army on the eve of WWI having to lead men through a desert to back to their base after a fight below the Mexican border (he will nominate them for the Congressional Medal of Honor). The men dislike Cooper because he was once a coward under fire many years ago and will only follow orders under gunpoint! Cooper cannot fall asleep for fear one of the men will attack him so he battles weariness as well as his men and the elements.

They also pick up a beautiful Rita Hayworth who's always a knockout, but it's nice to see her in color for a change. Hayworth was always underated and typecast, but this film proves she could rise to the occasion with a meatier role.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I saw the last half hour of They Came to Cordura the last time that TCM aired it, and I was transfixed. Why was Gary Cooper pulling that handcart? I plan to record it tomorrow. Rita and Gary Cooper certainly make a handsome pair.

Sandy K
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

As these were posted before it showed I wondered if anyone saw it and what they thought.

I saw this years ago and thought while I was as sick as I could be I'd watch it again. Well, this viewing didn't change my opinion from the first time. This is slow going. It's a bit of an odd story to begin with.

I found it to have an odd cast. Cooper and Heflin, IMO, both seem too old to be in the Army. Hayworth seems there just to create some sexual tension. The lesser parts might have been better served with stronger actors. Everything was remarkably brown.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I didn't like this one the first time I watched it, years ago, I didn't like it last Spring or Summer whenever it was that TCM ran it, either for Rita or Coop, and so I just ignored it this time around. My reasons are, dumb script, dumb cast, and dumb/boring plot. Yes, Chris, everything is brown. The story made no sense, he was going to nominate them for heroism even though he didn't believe they were heroes, then he was the judge and jury who decided they were not heroes, then he became the big hero by pushing them into town half dead and in rags. Wow, what a story!!!

That's my take.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************