Big Time (1929)

Ann Harding

Big Time (1929)

Post by Ann Harding »

Yesterday, I went to see a 16mm print of Kenneth Hawks' Big Time (1929) with Mae Clarke, Lee Tracy and Daphne Pollard. I was very curious to see this early talkie by Howard Hawks' younger brother. His career was very short as he died in a plane crash in 1930. Another interesting aspect is the presence of Mae Clarke whom I discovered in James Whale's Waterloo Bridge (1931). I was absolutely captivated by her wonderful performance.

The film is a 'backstage story' like some other early talkies like The Broadway Melody and Applause. Lily (M. Clarke) and Eddie (L. Tracy) are both vaudevillians who want to become successful with their double act. Pushed by Lily, they get a chance to perform a replacement one night and get a foothold on the ladder to success. But, when Lily gets a baby, Eddie hires the conniving Gloria to replace her. Gloria is not ready to relinquish the job when Lily recovers. Disgusted by her husband's attitude, Lily leaves him. But, without her, he starts a slow descent on the bill, until he cannot be hired anymore.....

This is one of the best early talkies I have seen, very close to Applause, Laughter and Bulldog Drummond. I found the film actually superior in many aspects to Hawks' first talkie, The Dawn Patrol. Kenneth Hawks gets some vibrant performances from his two lead actors. Mae Clarke is really up to the challenge displaying her talents as a hoofer and singer. Lee Tracy is sometimes quite OTT, but, after all, perfectly in character as the smug vaudevillian cracking jokes constantly.
As for camera movements, there are some interesting tracking shots framing Mae Clarke when she realises that her husband is going to be unfaithful to her with Gloria.
The film manages its pathos very cleverly. When Eddie becomes a tramp and hikes into a train, he is discovered by a train attendant who wants to kick him out. The guy gives him a chance to 'make him laugh' as he presents himself as a vaudevillian. His attempts are an abject failure as his jokes completely escape the guy. He is saved by a horse whinnying!

An early talkie worth watching! :D
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

AnnH, now it's my turn to jump on the envy train. I've become a fan of Mae Clarke since TCM showed Waterloo Bridge, and it's so very difficult to see her in anything. She was quite remarkable, wasn't she, surrounded as she was by the faux British accents, rat-a-tat styles, and amateurish acting of early talkies. Where did you see this film? And are you aware of how young she was then (always looked older)? She was born in 1910, so she was a mere 19 in 1929!

We have a Mae Clarke thread on "People of Film" that you might like to take a look at. I say - more Mae, wherever we can find her!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I saw Big Time at the French Cinémathèque in Paris. They are running a Howard Hawks retrospective at the moment. As a supplement, they included two films by his brother Kenneth.

I would had never guessed that Mae Clarke was that young in the film! :o So far, I've seen her only in Waterloo Bridge, Big Time and of course in The Public Enemy where nasty Jimmy Cagney uses her face as a grapefruit squeezer! :lol:
I'll go immediately to look at the thread you mentioned! Thanks. :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

AnnH, I've been reading your blog (très lentement, parce que j’ai oublié presque tout). It's well-written and very interesting. Where have you gotten all those wonderful photos from the films? I'm particularly impressed with the stills from the early Stella Dallas. I look forward to reading more, if my old and out of practice brain holds up.
Judith
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Judith, I am glad you're enjoying my Blog! :) All the pictures come from various sources: books, magazines, Internet or screen captures.
I'll start writing some new messages soon. :wink: