The Iron Sheriff

mrsl

The Iron Sheriff

Post by mrsl »

I caught what I thought was a pretty good one this afternoon on the Western Channel. A 1957 B&W with Sterling Hayden as The Iron Sheriff who ruled the town with truth and justice, literally. He was tough, but not overly so, and he followed the rules. Then his son gets supposedly tangled up in a stagecoach robbery where the driver is killed and all clues and witnesses point to him. As the sheriff investigates it looks more and more like his son is actually guilty, and the movie shows his torment in whether he will throw his son to the wolves and let him be found guilty, or try to do something else. It also follows some modern investigative methods, like looking closely at the scene of the murder, and who was where, instead of just shooting away and hoping for the best.

It was a cheap movie, made with no big names - Hayden I guess being the biggest - but that in itself is kind of a shame. This is the kind of film these goofballs today should be trying their hand at remakes instead of tried and true classics like 3:10 to Yuma, The Time Machine, etc. This had a good plot, and held my interest all the way through. Unfortunately the acting was stiff and talentless. These guys today might be able to improve on it. Who knows, anythings' possible. The tenseness of whether a father will knowingly let his son be hung, and all the clues building to a climax might make for some good scenes.

Anyway, if you have the Western channel, check it out.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************