Hopkins wins special Bafta, Julie loses out

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Hopkins wins special Bafta, Julie loses out

Post by stuart.uk »

Daniel Day Lewis won a Bafta for Best Actor and Atoment won best picture.
Julie Christie, who's hotly tipped for a Best Actress Oscar lost out to a European girl, who played Edith Piaf in a foriegn movie. so maybe the Oscar isn't a forgone conclusion for Julie. i saw a clip of the film and the girl looks pretty good as the legendary French singer

Tony Hopkin's was given a life time acheivement award from Lord Richard Attenbourgh. Attenbourgh said Hopkin's was the greatest actor of his generation and in return Tony called Dickie a great man.
Dawtrina

Re: Hopkins wins special Bafta, Julie loses out

Post by Dawtrina »

stuart.uk wrote:Julie Christie, who's hotly tipped for a Best Actress Oscar lost out to a European girl, who played Edith Piaf in a foriegn movie. so maybe the Oscar isn't a forgone conclusion for Julie. i saw a clip of the film and the girl looks pretty good as the legendary French singer
I haven't seen La Vie en Rose aka La Mome, but there seems to be almost universal acclaim for Marion Cotillard's performance. I didn't recognise her name so was surprised to find out I've seen her a few times: as the leading lady in the Luc Besson Taxi movies and as a supporting actress in Tim Burton's Big Fish. She's also in A Very Long Engagement which I really ought to get round to watching. That's the return of Jean-Pierre Jeunet/Audrey Tautou after Amelie.

This suggests that she started out in popular stuff then moved up to more serious fare and now to a BAFTA award and an Oscar nomination. Sounds like someone to watch.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

i don't know who exactly is nominated for best actress at The Oscars. i don't even know weather a non English speaking performer quailifies for for an Oscar nomination, though didn't Sophia Loren win for Two Women

i just been hearing from America film buffs that Julie Christie was a cert, but after this, who knows
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

i just been hearing from America film buffs that Julie Christie was a cert, but after this, who knows. does anyone think Bafta's are a sign of who'll win Acadamy Awards