Irene Papas and Mary Ure, Mclean heroines

stuart.uk

Irene Papas and Mary Ure, Mclean heroines

Post by stuart.uk »

i only know of 3 Alistair McLean novels turned into movies. therfor it's almost a surprise to see there is no female action heroine in Ice Station Zebra, maybe because in 1968 there was no female' working on Naval submarines and it would be unlikely to have a female secret agent on such a mission as was in the film. it's different today though and no doubt there would be a couple of women in the film if it was remade.

however, in Guns Of Naverone and Where Eagles Dare action heroines are right to the fore with Papas helping Gregory Peck and his men to destroy TGON and managing to fall in love with Anthony Quinn in the process.

i'm sometimes disappointed when Where Eagles Dare is reffered to the Burton/Eastwood film when Mary Ure's character of Mary Ellison does as much to make the mission a success as her bigger co-stars. after all when Burton was driving the bus it was her who stood shoulder to shoulder with Eastwood at the back shooting down the chasing German's
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I haven't seen "Where Eagles Dare" in ages, but I remember liking Mary Ure when I saw the film. Was she married to Robert Shaw? What kind of a career did she have?
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

sadly Mary died of an overdose of drink and pills in the early 70s at the age of 42. apparently she was fired from a Broadway show because of her alcohol problems and died not long after the opening night of the West-End play The Exorcist

Mary was married to Robert Shaw and before that the legendary playwright John Osbourne, who wrote Look Back In Anger, which Mary played the female lead in the film

it was amusing to see Burton beat her up in LBIN, but in playing an even more violent character in WED, he was up against a woman in violent terms was his equal