Should Tina Turner have been given more movie oportunitys

stuart.uk

Should Tina Turner have been given more movie oportunitys

Post by stuart.uk »

in the 70s and part of the 80s i thought the three great female all round entertainers were Shirely Maclaine, Barbra Striesand and Liza Minnelli (though Debbie Reynolds was probably as good)

however, as the 90s progressed i felt there was three more names to come to the fore, Cher, Bette Midler and Tina Turner. while Cher and the Devine Miss. M made there share of movies, Tina Turner only did Mad Max, though nearing 70 she recently played a town Mayor in some film.

i wonder if a great oportunity was missed here. She is a great singer and entertainer with legs to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even well into her 60s she still looked great in her mini-skirts. i wonder if she'll tone down a bit as the big 70 approaches, or ignore the passing of time regadless, Lol.

in the past black singers like Lena Horne suffered because of the colour of their skin when it came to doing glamorous lead roles. for example Lena played Julie in a revue of Showboat in the film Ziegfield Follies, but lost out to Ava Gardner, a girl of white complexion, who had to pass herself of as a negro girl. as it turned out Ava was brilliant, but like Natalie Wood in Kings Go Forth, were the studios to scared to cast a coloured girl in the roles.

i know Diana Ross to a degree has balanced the books, but wouldn't Tina have been sensational in the movies
klondike

Post by klondike »

The magnificent Tina (long may she reign! 8) ) has also had on-screen roles in the rock epics Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts' Club Band, & Tommy.
I believe the "mayor" role you referenced was in Last Action Hero.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

thanks for the added info. that was the movie title of her last movie
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I would certainly have paid admission to see her in movies (and I did). But I always got the sense that what she craved was performing before live audiences. I've seen her in concert and she seems to be fed by the love of the crowd. She's terrific.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I sincerely hope her woeful lack of additional films is her choice. I could live with that, but I agree with the thread's premise and other comments that I would still pay money to see her in films.

I wonder if she was a personality problem because she has seemed fairly at-ease in her few roles. (And if she was considered a "personality problem", something tells me that the mudslingers have a far greater reputation of being personality problems themselves...)