Billy Fury, Britain's Bobby Darin

stuart.uk

Billy Fury, Britain's Bobby Darin

Post by stuart.uk »

Billy Fury and Bobby Darin weren't all that similar, but both were dogged by heart conditions that killed them in their early 40s. IMO Billy Fury had more potential than both more famous Brit rock an rollers Cliff Richard and Tommy Steele.

i had never heard of Billy when i saw the 1965 movie I've Got A Horse with Carry-On Cleo and future Coronation Street actress Amanda Barrie. so impressed was i by him i found it strange i'd never heard of him before or since in the early 70s when i saw the film. then i found out he had a serious heart condition that prevented him from working much. he did however, play Troy Storm in the David Essex/Ringo Starr musical That'll Be The Day (there was a sequel Stardust with Adam Faith, which saw Essex as a drugged up pop star) in the early 60s he did make a pop movie called Play It Cool with Anna Palk, Michael Anderson jnr, Dennis Price and as herself Helen Shapiro.

Billy was told to retire and to never perform again. however, after a few yrs on his farm, he decided to make a comeback. he appeared on a new show called Unforgettable, a show for old acts still able to strut their stuff. he was magnificent. sadly the doctors were right, he was dead shortly after. it must have been hard for him, realising he had this God given gift, to give up performing, particulary at his young age.

his songs included his theme Halfway To Paradise and a Dean Martin classic I Will
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

My, my, Stuart, you really took me on a ramble down Memory Lane with your mention of Billy Fury. But I guess he would be pretty obscure here in the US. I haven't thought of him in years. I think I saw Play It Cool somewhere, way back when - I sort of vaguely remember it (I do remember Michael Anderson from other things). That was a long time ago, and I was very young. But I do also remember the name Billy Fury, though, even if I can't really remember him. I don't know if I was aware that he passed so young.

And, by the way, I don't think poor Bobby even made it to 40 - he was only about 37 or so when he left us.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

i think Bobby Darin was a potentially great all round entertainer. he could certainly act as well was sing, a sshown in State Fair, Hell Is For Heroes with Steve Mqueen and a western much shown in the UK Gunfight in Abilene