Post by laffite »

So who's turn?

If me, OPEN

Was it Jack Carson or Stewart, jesus??
Mona
Dargo

Re: Movie trivia?

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: February 19th, 2023, 3:26 pm So who's turn?

If me, OPEN

Was it Jack Carson or Stewart, jesus??
Wait! I don't remember Jesus bein' in Destry Rides Again ???

Heck for THAT matter, was there even a CHURCH in Bottleneck? ;)

So, if you're passin' here laffite, then here's one for the learned assembled here:

This British film featured an Ariel motorcycle on which one of the main characters is killed.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I don't care about anything right now but one thing. Was it Stewart and Carson?????????? :headbang: I don't ask this for reasons of who's turn it is. I just want to satisfy my curiosity.

Thank yoooooooooo :smilie_happy_thumbup:
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: February 19th, 2023, 6:00 pm I don't care about anything right now but one thing. Was it Stewart and Carson?????????? :headbang: I don't ask this for reasons of who's turn it is. I just want to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm pretty sure when Lawrence earlier said "he was going for Jimmy Stewart" that he meant he was a bit surprised (and like I was) that you had first thought of the 12th billed Jack Carson as being Dietrich's "co-star" in this western and not Jimmy Stewart who I would think would normally be considered as such.

(...that's all)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: February 19th, 2023, 6:16 pm
laffite wrote: February 19th, 2023, 6:00 pm I don't care about anything right now but one thing. Was it Stewart and Carson?????????? :headbang: I don't ask this for reasons of who's turn it is. I just want to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm pretty sure when Lawrence earlier said "he was going for Jimmy Stewart" that he meant he was a bit surprised (and like I was) that you had first thought of the 12th billed Jack Carson as being Dietrich's "co-star" in this western and not Jimmy Stewart who I would think would normally be considered as such.

(...that's all)
I see. Okay, I guess the missed the "co-star" but I thought that Carson could still be answer because he was in the damn movie :D But I get it, he is not a co-star, per se. I thought it might be a trick question. Was Stewart an rising star? I thought he had already "made it." He had 23 pictures prior to Destry. Whatever :)

Thanks Dargo, for clarifying for me. I missed Lawrence's earlier comment.

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: February 19th, 2023, 6:26 pm
Dargo wrote: February 19th, 2023, 6:16 pm

(...that's all)
I see. Okay, I guess the missed the "co-star" but I thought that Carson could still be answer because he was in the damn movie :D But I get it, he is not a co-star, per se. I thought it might be a trick question. Was Stewart an rising star? I thought he had already "made it." He had 23 pictures prior to Destry. Whatever :)

Thanks Dargo, for clarifying for me. I missed Lawrence's earlier comment.

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
Aaah! NOW I see where the confusion existed. You didn't think of Jimmy Stewart's career as being "on the rise" in the year 1939.

(...I suppose a case could be made for this, and considering he probably wasn't considered a "major star" until just the year prior to this and for his role in You Can't Take It With You)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

And so now that we have this settled here, I'll now reiterate my earlier offering...
Dargo wrote: February 19th, 2023, 5:54 pm
This British film featured an Ariel motorcycle on which one of the main characters is killed.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Dargo wrote: February 19th, 2023, 7:13 pm And so now that we have this settled here, I'll now reiterate my earlier offering...
Dargo wrote: February 19th, 2023, 5:54 pm
Do we need a hint here?
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Dargo wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:38 pm
Do we need a hint here?
Is it ole Larry of Arabia?
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:58 pm
Dargo wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:38 pm
Do we need a hint here?
Is it ole Larry of Arabia?
Nope. T.E.Lawrence in real life and at the beginning of Lean's movie, rode a Brough (pronounced "Bruff") Superior to his demise.

(...good guess though, Lawrence...care for another hint here?)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Dargo wrote: February 20th, 2023, 9:08 pm Nope. T.E.Lawrence in real life and at the beginning of Lean's movie, rode a Brough (pronounced "Bruff") Superior to his demise.
Yeah, I don't know motorcycle models at all, I was just trying to think of a movie where someone died on a motorcycle at the end. Other than Larry of A, all I can think of is Easy Rider, and that certainly isn't British, so yeah, I guess another clue is needed.
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: February 20th, 2023, 9:19 pm
Dargo wrote: February 20th, 2023, 9:08 pm Nope. T.E.Lawrence in real life and at the beginning of Lean's movie, rode a Brough (pronounced "Bruff") Superior to his demise.
Yeah, I don't know motorcycle models at all, I was just trying to think of a movie where someone died on a motorcycle at the end. Other than Larry of A, all I can think of is Easy Rider, and that certainly isn't British, so yeah, I guess another clue is needed.
Sure thing then.

The movie in question, and as was your earlier guess here, is set during wartime.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Dargo wrote: February 20th, 2023, 9:33 pm
The movie in question, and as was your earlier guess here, is set during wartime.
The Second World War, specifically.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Next hint:

The actor who is killed while riding his Ariel motorcycle during the film in question here, is also briefly shown riding in the sidecar of Harley-Davidson motorcycle in a film made just a few years prior and directed by the same man.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Next hint:

The character who dies in the motorcycle crash was on his way to save the life of the lead character.