Don't miss HOBSON'S CHOICE on Mon. 5/19, 8pm

Discussion of programming on TCM.
markfp

Don't miss HOBSON'S CHOICE on Mon. 5/19, 8pm

Post by markfp »

TCM is showing David Lean's little seen HOBSON'S CHOICE (1954) and it's not to be missed. Charles Laughton is just great in the lead as is co-stars John MIlls and Brenda de Banzie. The film is just a delight!

Following it at 10pm is Lean's BRIEF ENCOUNTER which certainly is considered one of the greatest romance films of all times. If you haven't seen it (or even if you have) don't miss it either.

Grab the popcorn and maybe some kleenex (for Brief encounter) and make an evening of it.

THANKS TCM FOR A GREAT DOUBLE BILL!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Two of the best English movies of their era.

Hobson's Choice is still studied in school. Charles Laughton has the film stolen away from him by Brenda De Banzie and John Mills.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
srowley75

Re: Don't miss HOBSON'S CHOICE on Mon. 5/19, 8pm

Post by srowley75 »

markfp wrote:.
Grab the popcorn and maybe some kleenex (for Brief encounter) and make an evening of it.
Hobson's Choice has long been one of my favorite movies, and I freely admit that I cry at the sensational climax - not to mention the scene near the middle when Will hears Maggie ardently declaring her true feelings about him to his former fiance (which is hilariously interrupted by a slap in the face by his former mother-in-law-to-be).

-Stephen
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for giving the heads up on this charming movie. I have always liked Brenda deBanzie, although I didn't even know her name, and John Mills is a real favorite of mine. The only real exposure I've had to Mr. Laughton has been in "Witness for the Prosecution", and this film has made me want to explore his films.

I agree with Stephen about the scene where Willie overhears Maggie telling the "other woman" how much she loves Willie, and how she'll fight for him. The look on his face is wonderful, and you can almost see him mature before your eyes.

What a lovely film "by Goom"

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
charliechaplinfan

Eee by gum, it's a good un :lol:

It's my favorite John Mills performance and that's saying something because he played in so many good roles.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison, what area accent was used by Willie? He was (to my uneducated ears) :oops: :oops: actually much easier to understand than Laughton's Hobson.
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

This has some of my favorite performances by the actors. I love seeing Laughton's use of his body, his walk, his street puddle scene, and his great desire to explode in many scenes but is always thwarted by his daughters.

DeBanzie's character is either the engine or the rubber to this vessel. Or the bow. I can't tell. She does just about everything.

And we don't get to see too many films transform a character like John Mills does. Most effective, most wonderful.
Metry_Road

Post by Metry_Road »

Goodbye
Last edited by Metry_Road on May 22nd, 2008, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks! As I said before, John Mills was just incredible..by Goom!

Nancy
charliechaplinfan

deleted message
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on May 22nd, 2008, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I love to hear different accents. We had a Russian lady in the yarn shop 2 weeks ago, and I actually guessed correctly! I can tell a New Yorker from a Texan, a Down-Easter from a San Franciscan, an Irishman from a Scotsman, and actually recognized an accent from Rhodesia.

The only time I get exasperated is when I'm watching a really great program and the actors speak so rapidly, it's hard to understand. (and that happens with U.S. actors as well) Do I sound old and cranky?
charliechaplinfan

No it can be frustrating when you can't catch what people are saying.

I love accents even though I'm a complete enbarrassment and can't tell where anyone is from. I daren't hazard a guess in case I cause offence.
Metry_Road

Post by Metry_Road »

Dear charliechaplinfan. Please accept my profuse apologies for causing you such offence. My comments were not intended as criticism of your accent, or anyone else’s for that matter. It was simply my pathetic attempt at humor. I shall tread more carefully in future, bearing in mind your sensitivity on this issue.

The offending post has been removed.

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Metry, I don't think offence was intended. The great thing about this site is that we actually care about each other, and when mistakes or "goofs" are made, we're quick to apologize and just as quick to say OK. I've never been to N.O., and I didn't realize there were so many dialects just in your city.

I met a young lady from the east (can't remember where exactly she hailed from) and she said her name was "Bannie". Couldn't figure it out, so she spelled it for me....B O N N I E. We both had a good laugh, she thought my accent (!) was hilarious.

Nancy
charliechaplinfan

Metry, you didn't need to remove your post but I've removed mine too :D . I hadn't taken offence, I realised you were new to the board, I just felt the need to defend my native accent. I realised you weren't trying to offend anyone here.

As Knitwit has said we are a close bunch here, we don't hold grudges if no offence was meant. Welcome to the Oasis, hope to see you around and I hope you'll enjoy posting here. :D