The Thief of Baghdad (1939)

News and Upcoming Releases
jdb1

The Thief of Baghdad (1939)

Post by jdb1 »

This wonderful fantasy is finally out on DVD. I have the not very well reproduced VHS version, and I'm looking forward to seeing a restored print. Here is The New York Times review of the disc: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/movie ... l?ref=arts. Apparently, there were several directors involved in making this movie, some with "bigger" ideas than others.

This primarily British production is quite different from the Douglas Fairbanks take on the story, is in full color, and has many more special effects, some quite good, some about as good as they can get for that time period, but all very enjoyable. I was never very keen on the neuresthenic John Justin as the hero, but the beautiful June Duprez as the princess in distress strikes the right note.

The real strengths in this Alexander & Zoltan Korda production are Conrad Veidt as the Evil Vizier and the truly excellent, energetic and enthusiastic Sabu as the eponymous thief. Sabu does all the Fairbanks athletics, and at only about 16 years old he looks much more manly, robust and energetic than does Justin, the supposed hero. We also get the towering Rex Ingram as the Genie (complete with topknot, and Southern accent, sort of like a very loud Oliver Hardy). His scenes with Sabu are a wonder to behold.

For me, films like this one, Jungle Boy (where he was only 9), The Jungle Book, and Black Narcissus show what a natural screen performer Sabu really was, and emphasize how he was wasted in so many silly "native movies" when he could have been given roles of much wider range. The Thief of Baghdad is a movie ideal for all ages.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Being a huge fan of the Fairbanks film version, I was somewhat disappointed by the Korda production when I saw it on a big screen. But I agree with Judith: the cinematography is something to behold! :)
I also found John Justin unbearably boring.... :( Thank God, Conrad Veidt can fill the screen with his wonderful charisma. 8) Sabu is charming like June Duprez. But the film feels very uneven and it's no wonder when you see the number of directors who worked on it: Michael Powell, Ludwig Berger, Tim Whelan, A. Korda, Zlotan Korda and Wm Cameron Menzies.... :o
But at least, for one aspect, it's worth purchasing: Miklós Rózsa's beautiful score. It's certainly one of his best. :D
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

When I first saw this movie I didn't like it, but that was probably because I saw it on TV in the 1950s, in black and white. With every subsequent viewing I liked it more and more and, although I do agree that it is a bit overdone, as though each director was trying to make his own mark, I think that it's fitting for this amalgam of Arabian Nights-type tales - the watchword here is "fantastic" in its most literal sense. It's a beautiful movie, but it requires a really dedicated suspension of disbelief. If you can lose yourself in its elaborateness, you'll have a great time. What's especially fine about the movie is that neither Sabu, Veidt nor Rex Ingram is in any way overshadowed by the production. They stand out and shine. Miles Malleson's bit as the befuddled sultan with the out of control clockwork toys is pretty fantastic, too.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Y'all are making me nervous. As a child, I was enchanted by the Korda version of this movie. Last spring I was delighted to learn that Criterion was releasing their version of this movie. I'm finally about to purchase it, and after reading your takes on what I remember as a jewel, I wonder if I'll be disappointed...
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I haven't seen this version since I was a child. I love the Fairbanks version, I'm not sure this could top it, I'll have to give it a try one day.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin