IMAX???????

Chit-chat, current events
mrsl

IMAX???????

Post by mrsl »

This is a real question, and I would like an answer if someone can give one. Please tell me what the popular draw for IMAX is. What do people see in it? Why do people wait in lines to get into a theater to lie on their backs, to watch a movie that is going to make them dizzy and/or give them a headache? I saw a show on the Colorado River and river rafting last week at the Museum of Science and Industry and just don't understand the popularity of IMAX. When you're looking at the right side of the screen, you can easily miss something happening on the left side, and you can't possible watch sitting upright without getting a headache or a terrible ache in your neck. So what is it that people rave about?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It all depends on what you see. I have seen two, One was a movie on the space shuttle. The other on the Blue Angels. Neither of them had the effect on me you describe.

I enjoyed them just for the immensity of it. It can be an awe inspiring thing.

We gave a theater in Baltimore but I haven't been in years. The Science Center, where it is located, doesn't advertise it like they used to. There was a film there on the Rolling Stones. That's scary.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

I don't know that I am ready to see Keith Richards on an Imax screen.

I think the image might be too scary even for those of us who like him.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, I saw two films at the Johnson Space Center in Houston (NASA). The first was on the space program, narrated by Leonard Nimoy. The second was about the mission to Mars, with actual footage of the red planet. Both of them gave me goosebumps. The trick is to sit at the very BACK of the theater, that way you have the best seat, you can see the whole screen with out doing permanent damage to your neck.

I saw Disney's "Fantasia 2" at the Kansas City Zoo (!) and since I love Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" it was pure heaven. There was a short film before it, all about Kansas City, which was really interesting (to a KC native).

If you ever go again, try sitting at the top, you'll be amazed at how much better the experience is.

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning,

Anne, I saw the film on the trip down the Colorado too. Maybe because until the point where I became disabled, a non-motorized raft trip on the Colorado through the Grand Canyon was a dream of mine, I came away mesmerized. The multitude of images from so many different angles filmed in super high resolution made me feel almost like I was actually there on the river. The seating was the best I've ever experienced in a theater, the Dolby sound the best I've ever heard and the experience was over all too soon. All this at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. In the fall when it's a bit cooler, I'll probably drive over to the Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola to see the IMAX feature on the Blue Angels as it's there as a permanent feature. I'm sure the 45 minute ride will be well worth it!

As always,

Hollis
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Y'know I went to an IMAX movie waaay back in the infancy of it. This was at Ontario Place and I believe it was the only place with an IMAX screen at the time in Ontario. It's an amazing way of seeing things but I don't know if i'd like to see most movies in that format.

Now movies like Tranformers where there's lots of action going on and such would be very good for that format but just about anything else would be too intimidating.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Knit-wit:

Actually being in a wheel chair, I had to sit on the ground level. Normally, also being in a wheel chair, I would have been elevated up to the top row, but the elevator was broken. So apparently you're correct about being higher up, especially since I was way up at Caesars Palace too, and I enjoyed that one immensely.

Hollis:

Again you are right about the sight and sound. Both are magnificent. However, I prefer the 'surround' type of movie action that was done during the Las Vegas Hilton Star Trek exhibition, with that I felt like I was really in a plane/spaceship flying around the stars, especially during take off and landing.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw another IMAX film last week at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.
This one was about the sun and it was in 3D.

One thing is the glasses are way better than they used to be. The movie used images from satellites that were sent together to film the sun in 3D. It wasn't a long film but it was interesting to see the rough surface of the sun,

If any of you are in DC and go they show about 6 different movies. Check them out.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."