Recent British Cop Shows

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Recent British Cop Shows

Post by stuart.uk »

Sorry if you won't have heard of some of these shows. I just thought it might be an idea to mention some of them.

Morse seems to be the most famous Internationally of them, starring John Thaw as Inspector Morse, Kevin Wately as Sargeant Lewis and James Grout as their boss. It was set in Oxford. After the sad death of Thaw, writer Colin Dexter wrote the Lewis books and Wately played the now inspector Lewis.

A Touch Of Frost stars David Jason as Inspector Jack Frost, a no-nonsense detective, who investigates murders in the fictional town of Denton.

The Inspector Lynley stars Nathaniel Parker in the title role with Sharon Small as his tomboyish sidekick Barbara Havers

In Taggart Mark McManus played Chief Inspector Jim Taggert, who lived with his wheel-chair bound wife Jean. The series was set in the Scottish city of Glasgow. Taggart was joined by James Mapherson, who played side-kick Michael Jardine and they were both later joined by Blyth Duff, who played Sargeant Jackie Reid. Such was the respect for McManus that when he died in his early 60s the producers decided to keep his characters name at the top of the titles. Then Jardine was killed off, leaving Jackie and a new team to solve new murders in a still successful show.
Last edited by stuart.uk on June 27th, 2008, 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

We discussed some of these in the General TV under the thread "PBS Mystery."

You're right that "Morse" seems to be the most popular. "Frost" has been available but I haven't seen any. I haven't heard of Taggert.

Check out the other thread and see if we agree on some of them.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Sorry if I stole someone elses thunder

My own favourite is New Tricks. It stars Amanda Redman and three retired coppers played by Dennis Waterman (The Sweeney), Alun Armstrong (Braveheart) and James Bollam

Waking The Dead is another.

It's about a team who investigate old murders using up to date medical resources. It stars Trevor Eve, Sue Johnson (Brassed Off) and Tara Fitzgerald (also Brassed Off). It's like Quincey meets The Sweeney with Eve a cop and leader of the group, Johnson as a mind Doctor and Fitzgerald as a British Quincey
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

A couple of summers ago, BBC America showed "Murder City" a British cop show that starred Amanda Donahoe and the skinny guy from "Love Actually" who goes to Milwaukee to become a sex god.

It looked like a good show, although I got the impression that it was edited to have commercials fit in, and thus the epiosdes didn't "flow" as well as they should have.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

stuart.uk wrote:Sorry if I stole someone elses thunder
You didn't, nor was starting this one a mistake. Since we had one going I was hoping you'd join that one as you and Alison would be the experts for that thread.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I think you are talking about Kris Marshal, who recently had a nasty head accident recently, but recovered very quickly. He's best known over here for playing American actress Zoe Wannamaker's dim witted son in the sit-com My Family
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Here's a link about my favourite current show New Tricks.

BBC - Drama - New Tricks
Amanda Redman, Dennis Waterman, James Bolam and Alun Armstrong star as an unlikely team of crack detectives.

www.bbc.co.uk/drama/newtricks · Cached page
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

[/quote]

You didn't, nor was starting this one a mistake. Since we had one going I was hoping you'd join that one as you and Alison would be the experts for that thread.[/quote]

The only expert from this side of the pond is Stuart. All my precious viewing time is taken up watching movies. I afraid I can't give you much good advice when it comes to British cop shows.

When I was growing up there was an influx of American programmes. I remember my Mum and Dad watching Kojak and Starsky and Hutch. When I was about six there was The Bionic Man and The Bionic Woman, they were the must have toys too. There was also The Streets of San Francisco, The Rockford Files, Columbo.

Slightly later was Magnum and my two favorites Charlie's Angels and Wonder Woman. Those two were excellent games to play too.

The Incredible Hulk and The Dukes of Hazard were my brother favorite programmes.

This took my all the way through infant school. I must have watched as many American shows as I did British shows. Now quite a few of them have either been remade into films or remade for TV.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Here are two links to Taggart, one historical and one in the present

Taggart @ Taggart @ Nostalgia Central
Taggart. 1 9 8 3 - Current (UK) The pilot episode of Taggart was a three-part production called Killer (about a serial murderer of young Glasgow blondes) which ...

www.nostalgiacentral.com/tv/cops/taggart.htm · Cached page
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Here's the 2nd link to Taggart Cops & Crime | Taggart - ITV Drama
The official ITV home of Taggart on ITV Cops & Crime at ITV Drama. Visit itv.com for Drama. ... Taggart: Catch Up Now Published: Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 10:36AM. Missed the latest ...

taggart.itv.com · Cached page
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Cops & Crime | Taggart - ITV Drama
The official ITV home of Taggart on ITV Cops & Crime at ITV Drama. Visit itv.com for Drama. ... Taggart: Catch Up Now Published: Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 10:36AM. Missed the latest ...

taggart.itv.com · Cached page
markfp

Post by markfp »

I love British cop shows. Of course, most of the ones I see are from my public library so there can be a delay of a year or two before I get to see them. Right now I'm into REBUS which I really like. They have TAGGERT, but I haven't started on them yet.

Although, it isn't a cop show, my favorite British show is SPOOKS which is known over here as MI-5. I've seen the first three series and have been on the list for months to get series 4. I should have it in the next month or so. I can't wait.