New Borzage Documentary

Chit-chat, current events
silentscreen

New Borzage Documentary

Post by silentscreen »

I found this article and thought it interesting. Long past due to have a documentary spotlighting Frank Borzage.

http://www.ledger-dispatch.com/life/lif ... topStory=1
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you very much for posting this news, silentscreen. The news that someone so young is interested in Frank Borzage is splendid. The documentarian, Rebecca Bozzo, is only 20, but heck, youth didn't stop Kevin Brownlow either---wish that I could get to see this film. I hope that we hear more about this filmmaker's work in the near future.

Hey, the gist of the article noting this new documentary is the important thing, but it sure would've been nice if the Amador Ledger Dispatch reporter of this news had checked a few spellings of the names he's tossing around. He threw me for a loop when he spelled Liza's Dad's name as Vincent Minelli , (not Vincente Minnelli as the director spelled it), and left off an "e" on Orson Welles, but I had to laugh when he spelled George Cukor's last name as "Cugar". Maybe he thought that the director was a relative of Xavier "Cugar", the band leader with the chihuahua and a parade of younger and younger wives.

But I digress...:wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

LOL, that is funny! I just noticed this too: 'History is Made at Night' with Gene Arthur" It seems that Jean had a sex change operation! :lol: The writer obviously isn't into classic film himself. Where was the proof reader?
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

silentscreen wrote:LOL, that is funny! I just noticed this too: 'History is Made at Night' with Gene Arthur" It seems that Jean had a sex change operation! :lol: The writer obviously isn't into classic film himself. Where was the proof reader?
I don't know if Miss Arthur would've thought that was funny, but we should probably cut this reporter some slack. Everyone knows that people are only into visuals, not accurate spellings, nowadays. Besides, that asleep at the switch editor probably believes that correct nomenclature is only a mouse click away, right?

Maybe this reporter thinks that when he hears the name Gene Tierney, the speaker is referring to the tough guy who played Dillinger who was Born to Kill? Or was he the guy who beat Jack Dempsey twice??
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks