Can Scot Andy Murray break into the Tennis Big Time

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Can Scot Andy Murray break into the Tennis Big Time

Post by stuart.uk »

Last night we in Britain watched what is reckoned to be the best match of the tournament so far. The fact it involved Scot Andy Murray made it even more exciting.

Andy, seeded 12 was playing a Frechman seeded 8. The French player convincingly won the first two sets and was serving for the match. Somehow Andy broke back and won the set on a tie-break. Then with the help of a supportive British crowd Andy turned the match on its head and Brilliantly won the 4th and 5th set.

It's a big if, but if Andy could beat Nadal in the next round, unlikely, but certainly not impossible, he'd be favourite to reach the final and probably play favourite Federer.

The last time a British male player won a singles title was believe it or not way back in the 1930s by a boyfriend of Marlene Dietrich, Fred Perry, who won the Championship 3 times. So you can imagine how us Brits would like to see our own player lift the trophy, we had ten yrs of near misses from Tim Henman. It used to be the same with The Undisputed World Heavy Weight Boxing Championship when Brit Lennox Lewis won nearly 100-yrs after Bob Fitzsimmons bt Gentleman Jim Corbett.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I couldn't bear to watch 8) My husband watched, we were delighted, he's been accused of showing no personality but he came through last night.

I don't know Raphael Nadal next, that's a touch challenge. I'm hoping :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I see Andy has won the Masters title, in a tournament where all the best players in the world competed in.

He his playing in Olympics, but his best chance of winning a Gold might be in the doubles with his brother Jamie, who won the Wimbledon mixed a yr ago.

I fancy him to reach the semis of the U.S Open, but after his latest win maybe the final isn't beyond reach