New Tricks of tp a flying start

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

New Tricks of tp a flying start

Post by stuart.uk »

It's amazing New Tricks is the one Brit cop show that isn't getting airtime in the States, it's brilliant. It got of to a flying start as expectected yesterday. The shop has such a reputation over here it attracts great guest stars like in yesterday's show James Fox as a Barrister who gets a murderer of the hook by discrediting our heros Amanda Redman, James Bollam, Dennis Waterman and Alun Armstrong in a somewhat underhanded way.

Next week it's Chaplin's stunning leading lady from Limelight Claire Bloom makes an appearence as a an actress, who yrs before accidently killed her husband, shooting him on stage.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

We do see New Tricks here, on our "public" broadcasting system (used to be called "educational television," and runs a great deal of the British television shows we see in the US). In New York City the show runs on Channel 21. It's cute, but it reminds me of Murder, She Wrote in its featuring of actors of previous eras. Nothing wrong with that -- I saw Rita Tushingham on New Tricks recently -- that was nice; I haven't seen her in years.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

The guest list on New Tricks continues to be impressive. Ronald Pickup was on one, Sylvia Sims was in it last week and Phyliss Logan of Lovejoy fame is in the last of the present series next week. John Thaw's widow Shelia Hancock regulary appears as Amanda Redman's mother and Dennis Waterman's daughter Hannah pops up now and again as his screen kid Emily.

I bought series 2 and we have the likes of Honor Blackman, Timothy West and Jane Asher on show

Any acting honours from this series would belong to Alun Armstrong, as he plays retired alcoholic Policeman Brian 'Memory' Lane, as he struugles to fight the temptation to go back on the booze.