King Creole

stuart.uk

King Creole

Post by stuart.uk »

When I watch King Creole now the black and white film looks ancient, but I still feel it has one of the screens great all-round performances from Elvis Presley as Danny Fisher. It's just a pity that in the 70s when IMO Presley's musical career was as it's pk he wasn't or wasn't allowed to fullfill his early potential as an actor.

King Creole has a lot going for it. It was directed by Michael Curtiz (Casablance and The Adventures Of Robin Hood) and had probably the strongest cast in any Presley movie with Walter Matthou and Vic Marrow as credible gangsters, Carolyn Jones as leading lady Ronnie and Dean Jagger as Elvis' dad.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Stuart:

Elvis was drafted in 1958, King Creole was sitting in the can to be released, but held until his induction in the army as were many pre-recorded songs. The colonel released them one-by-one while Elvis was in Germany doing his stint as a Private.

When he returned he was offered many good roles but again the colonel stepped in and put a stop to it. He knew the formula movies he made would make money so kept EP restricted to them although EP constantly complained, but the colonel had a real hold on him and for some reason was always able to tie him down.

You might not know that out of all the millions Elvis made between concerts, movies, and recordings, his estate, other than Graceland, left to Lisa Marie, consisted of just around $500,000.00, but nobody could prove what happened to the rest of it. The colonel was a real SOB and I'll never understand why Elvis' family never followed up on it, although Lisa was still just a child, and his Dad was getting on in years.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

Composer Tim Rice reckons and I agree with him that Elvis should after his 1968 comeback tv concert, that he should have done a limited amount of shows, but still carrying on with making movies instead of retiring. The Colonel worked him like a dog and possibly his addiction to prescreption drugs took hold when he need to take them to help him get through his heavy work load of concerts.

He should have sacked Parker and set up his own film company, making movies that he wanted to make. if he needed a decent manager, how about Mark Macormick.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I only knew what I read in two books by Peter Guralnick about Elvis. I've never read a biography that made me feel sadder. I know it was one person's opinion of what happened to Elvis but no one could or would stand up to him and geet him the treatment he desperately needed. Prescription drugs and overeating killed him far far too early.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Tom Parker raised Elvis from a 19 year old truck driver to one of the biggest entertainers the world had ever known and Elvis knew that. He respected Parker and at the same time, wanted to get away from him, but didn't know how. Any thing you read about Elvis, even people like Barbara Stanwyck, Lisabeth Scott and Wendell Corey said how kind, sweet and respectful Elvis was so how could he fire his father figure? He asked other people to do it for him, but nobody wanted to incur the colonels' wrath.

You're very correct when you imagine he was unhappy with his level of work in both movies and music. That's why he incorporated a lot of his Karate movements in his show, just to do something different from everyone else with the smoke, lights, and girls. He was offered so many roles the colonel wouldn't let him sign for. He was to do A Star is Born with Streisand (hand picked by her BTW), but the colonel said no co-star with an equal or bigger name - how stupid, especially after Las Vegas with Ann Margret. I believe he was also supposed to play the part that Glen Campbell ended up doing in True Grit, and Ricky Nelson's part in Rio Bravo.

He did a pretty good cowboy and was proud of being part Cherokee. Have you ever seen Charro? That's a good one.

Anne
Anne

charliechaplinfan

I agree with you about Colonel Parker, how could he ever fire him, he'd given him so much, I can't help wondering what Elvis would have done if he'd have been managed to someone who had his complete interests at heart.

I don't know Elvis's movies very well. I've heard of Charro. From the films I've seen, he was bigger than the material they gave him. I suppose I've always shied away from them because I like the 1968 comeback King. He was so lovely then, his talent so obvious and his demise took only 9 years from that point.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

It's a pity Elvis saw Priscilla as a stay at home wife, not living to see her in Dallas and other stuff. They might have made an endearing screen couple. She clearly still loves him after all those yrs, despite their divorce and his reputation with the ladies. Mind you he might have married his then girlfriend Ginger, making any kind of reconcilation, on or of screen, nearly impossible.

As far as A Star Is Born it would have been good for Elvis to be oppisite someone of near equal talent, who could stretch him. Though they fought on set Kris K, later, as far as I believe, thanked Barbra Striesand for helping him combat a serious drink problem. I wonder if she could have been just as supportive to Elvis with his issues

Sinatra, even though, according to a book on Ava Gardner, was seen as performer a performer with big ego, did films with Monty Clift, Trevor Howard, Bing Crosby and Dean Martin. I can Imagine Elvis and Dean Martin in a buddy/buddy type of western, sitting at a campfire singing a duet with EP on guitar

Tommy Steele worked with Stanley Baker in the swashbuckler Where's Jack.
charliechaplinfan

Dean Martin was the singer Elvis modelled his voice on. The both have the warm effortless timbre in their voices. I love Frank Sinatra and the way he puts over a song but Dean Martin and Elvis have far more seductive voices.

Would you put Barbra and Elvis equal in talent? Elvis's place in music history is more important than Barbra's, in terms of talent, perhaps they were equal. It's strange to think like that, Elvis has always been seen as an idol of many. I don't think of Barbra in that way. A Star Is Born with Elvis, I would have watched that :wink:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

CCF:

If you really want to find a way to appreciate Elvis' singing talent -- try to find a copy of one of his spiritual albums. His range on many of them is hard to believe. If you're familiar with In the Ghetto, did you ever feel the anger in his voice? His spirituals are the other side of the coin - you feel the love. He's good in his rock and roll, and his love ballads, but the real timbre of his voice comes through in spirituals.

Anne
Anne

charliechaplinfan

I've heard a few, I loved them so much. I believe these were the songs he loved singing the most. His voice is just beautiful in them, very moving.

We travelled in the South West of America 7 years ago, before children. One of our stops was Graceland. I liked Elvis before I went there. I felt I knew Elvis when I came out and that his spirituality still hung around his home. We might have been there with a few hundred other people that day but it felt like there was just the two of us. We stayed in Memphis for 2 more days and each morning before breakfast we went into the grounds at Graceland and went to his grave. It was a peaceful place, his fans were always welcome.

I will remember my visit there until the end of my days.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

I remember Elvis died around the same time as Charlie Chaplin. While we could celebrate the life of Chaplin, who lived to a grand old age, Elvis' death at 42 was as would be the case of anyone that age a tragedy.

I think Striesand would have been a strong leading lady for Presley. I think they missed the boat casting Nancy Sinatra in one of the clunkers, she might have been good in a hal decent film.

I mentioned before I thought Angela Lansbury was wasted as his snootymother in Blue Hawaii. At 35 she could easily have played the female lead, whereas, who remembers the girl from that film

Still Carolyn Jones, Hope Lange, Anne Margaret, Judy Tyler and Ina Balin proved to be good leading ladies for him
charliechaplinfan

Elvis dying is one of my first memories of a news event, I would have been six at the time. My Mum and Dad weren't big fans, he was very much a figure of their youth, I remember them being shocked.

I do remember Charlie Chaplin dying that Christmas, I remember thinking it was sad that someone would die on Christmas day. I didn't know who he was. Recently my daughter has been watching some of Charlie's shorts with me when I told her he died on Christmas Day, her five year old response was 'I do hope he remembered to open his presents first' Bless her.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

Have you read Paul Merton's book Silent Comedy. I think I probably asked you this already, so my apoligies for that. It's a great read. I noticed Paul referred to Laurel And Hardy as the greatest ever double act on film. What I took from that was he wasn't actually saying that they were the greatest double act full stop, as like us other Brit's who are familiar with Morcambe And Wise and The Two Ronnies, he might like me consider them better.
charliechaplinfan

I have read it, I don't know whether Paul Merton would prefer Morecambe and Wise or the Two Ronnies to Laurel and Hardy. I don't think Laurel and Hardy were his favorite silent comedians. I suspect that was Buster Keaton. I went to see him when he travelled the country with his excerpts from Silent Comedy. He was very good.
mrsl

Re: King Creole

Post by mrsl »

I'm pulling up this old antique thread because I just realized TCM did the same with Elvis movies that they did with Jennifer Jones and Sidney Poitier. They showed the silly formula movies all day, and saved the examples of Elvis' ability to act until late at night when nobody will see unless they set their timers. This is becoming a tradition here and I wonder why. Does anybody have any answers?

Anne
Anne