The British Open

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

The British Open

Post by stuart.uk »

The British Open started today with a gail force wind and heavy rain. nobody broke par this morning with South Africa's Ratief Goosan and Canada's Mike Weir at +1. From a home point of view it's nice to see Scotland's Colin Montgomerie nicely poised at +3.

The weather however, improved with Aussie Adam Scott and Sweden's Peter Hansen at -1 at the halfway stage of their rounds.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Twelve hours of great golf today Stuart! 6AM to 6PM CDT. Looks like it's anybody's for the taking. Where exactly on the Island is Royal Birkdale?

All the best,

Hollis
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hollis

It's in Southport in the county of Lancashire

Greg Norman was going great guns when I was home for lunch. I don't know how he finished, but he was Even par at that point. I wonder how much Chris Evert, his new wife, has influenced this return to form. He and Tom Watson are doing the old guard proud. (Sandy Lyle walked off after 9 after having enough in round one) I'm hoping the Beeb will bring Chris Evert into the studio for an interview with either Gary Linecar or Hazel Irvine. It'll be a change from when that used to happen at Wimbeldon when she and ex-husband John Llyod were often interviewed by Sue Barker.

I'm still hoping they'll be real Brit charge for the tournament. Ian Pouler is going well at +2. As I said before Colin Montgomerie would be a really popular winner. IMO he's the greatest player in the history of the game never to have won a Major having finished 2nd in many of the Majors and 6 times in a row won The European Order Of Merit
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Norman finished Even for this round and is currently leading. I heard some talk this morning that Norman plays very little golf anymore. He plays more tennis :wink: Rocco Mediate is doing well but some of the big names are well down the board at +8 or worse. That still puts them about 9th but a tough road to go.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Irishman Podraig Harrington has suddenly exploded on to the leaderboard. it looks like if nothing else he's going to make a good defence of his title
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Aside from Norman's performance, what surprises me most is David Duval's name up there on the leaderboard. When was the last time you saw that in any tournament, let alone a major?

Alison (charliechaplinfan) lives in Lancashire but I don't know what district it is (Blackburn, etc?)

Keep us posted Stuart

All the best,

Hollis
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hollis:

I think it was 2001 since the last win for Duval. I heard someone say he kind of gave up on golf for a while as when he had success he didn't enjoy it for all the work required. Of course, everyone has to make a living. He just hasn't been doing a good job of it lately. Poor guy has put on some weight in the last couple of years as well.

It's great to see him and Norman and Mediate again near the top.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I think Sandy Lyle has been harshly treated by the media and some punters for walking off the course after playing 9 holes in round one, because he was playing badly. They seem to forget that he's been very much a gentleman during his career, not to mention landing a Brit Open and The Masters in the 80s. Was John Daly any better of finishing his two rounds at 29-over par?

Greg Norman would be the oldest ever winner of a Major if he wins, but a certain Irishman Padriag Harrington might have a say in things. Tom Morris snr in the late 19th Century is still the oldest to win a British Open.

I was just thinking about potential golfing movies

The Tom Morris' father and son. Jnr one several Opens, then died at abour 24. just a few weeks after the death of his wife. it was said he died either of a broken heart or self neglect, which amounts to the same IMO

How about The Great Triumvirate with Englishmen Harry Vardon, James H Taylor and Scot James Braid, who dominated the British Open from the early 1890s throught to 1913. Vardon who won the U.S Open in 1900 amazingly finished 2nd in the same event in 1920 at age 50. (an omen for Norman perhaps).

Talking about threesomes, there was the great American trio of the 20s
Walter Hagen, Gene Sarazen and Bobby Jones. Then of course Jack, Arnold Palmer and Gary Player were known as The Big Three. There was also the modern day Brit trio Nick Faldo, Sandy Lyle and Ian Woosnam, who along with others, including Seve, turned the once American only winning Ryder Cup into a two-way competition. Seve considering his humble beginnings might also be a good biopic.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Padriag Harrington of Ireland has retained his British Open title. I hope it's not devalued because Tiger Woods wasn't there, partly because I think the great man might have struggled in those gail-force conditions.

There is a similarity to Tiger's U.S Open win, in the sense Padraig nearly pulled out on the eve of the tournament with a damaged wrist. However, along with a lack of practice, he said it was distraction and made him fresh for the battle ahead.

Padriag started great while Greg Norman faltered. Then the Irishman wobbled slightly, allowing Englishman Ian Poulter to make a charge on his lead, shooting a brilliant 69. If anything this inspired Padraig into a higher gear, shooting 4-under for the back nine. The Beeb comentators said his approach to the 17th that set up an eagle was the shot of the Championship. It was also the first time since James Braid nearly 100 yrs ago that a European defended his Open title

Padraig joked with Ian about securing their places in Nick Faldo's up coming Ryder Cup squad, as they were in danger of being up for wild card choices, rather than qualifying outright. Will Nick pick Monty that way, I doubt it as the Scot doesn't appear, despite his great record in the competition, to be playing that well.

One interesting side-line Padraig is coached by the elderly Bob Torrance. Bob is the father of BBC comentator Sam Torrance, who was a great player, who Captained a winning Ryder Cup team. He also hold the 1985 putt that returned the Ryder Cup back to Europe for the first time since the late 1950s.

I hope no one gives Greg Norman a hard time for not winning. He still did a great job and finishing 3rd is an outstanding achievement for a part-time golfer of 53.

I was wondering. When the Beeb cover The Masters they use American television pictures, so is the reverse true not only for the Open, but Wimbledon as well. Do American tv companies provide their own pictures, or do they rely on the BBC for their coverage, but still use their own comentators. Nick Faldo spent an hour in the BBC studio before going to his main job on American tv and Peter Alliss, our main comentator said he did a stint for the Americans

The next golf tournament we have is the Ladies British Open. We also get coverage of the World Matchplay at Wentworth Golf club in the attumn.

I see Scot Lewis Hamilton won the German Grand Prix on Sunday, making him the leader in the Formula One World Championship. However, I think I'm right in saying F1 isn't so important in America
Last edited by stuart.uk on July 21st, 2008, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I usually avoid golf at all costs but I couldn't today. I went to a 2 year olds party at Birkdale, of all days, the last day of the Open, it was heaving there. So many police too, I didn't know golf fans were known for their rowdiness. We ended up coming away a little early to avoid the traffic. My hubby isn't pleased he'd love to have watched the whole thing on TV. Tickets to get in cost £60 ($120) to get in everyday, that's just to stand up.

I just saw your post Hollis, I live about 20 miles inland from where the Open was held at Birkdale in Southport. There aren't any good motorway connections and we have to go around the houses to get there, on a good day it will take us 40 min. The weather has been awful for the Open as you must have seen. Thursday and Friday were washouts, Joe and I got wet on three occasions on Friday just to and froing from school and the shops.

We now hope for better weather as the children are have their summer break until September. Hopefully once the Open has gone the weather will improve.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

I was wondering if you're close to Manchester and did you get involved in the celebrations of the Championship and Eurpoean Cup double of Alex Fergurson's Manchester Utd. With the Open taking centre stage, the recall of Lancashire's Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff has almost gone unnoticed, unless you've got as I haven't Sky Sports, to England's cricket team.

When England won the Ashes a few yrs ago, I thought Freddie was going to rival Ian Botham as England's greatest all-rounder, but his form since then has disappointed. I remember in the 70s Lancashire's Cricket team with Clive Lloyd, Barry Wood, David Hughes, Frank Hayes and Peter Lever in the team, when they dominated the One-Day game. I remember a great story about Furok Engineer the Lancashire wicket-keeper. He was in America, playing golf. He was joined by a guy, who called himself Kev. What he didn't realise until his wife told him he was playing with Kevin Costner.

Have you visted the Coronation Street set by any chance
charliechaplinfan

Stuart,

I'm not really into sports, especially football, it probably comes from having a football mad father. I'd liked to have taken part in the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester but I was in the last stages of pregnancy so it was out of the question. The Games were a great success.

Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff has received 'the freedom' of the city of Preston which probably means he has the right to drive his sheep through the town centre. Preston is the nearest city for me, Manchester and Liverpool aren't far away either.

I have visited the Coronation Street set, it was some years ago, it's been closed to visitors for a few years. It was fun to stand on the famous street. I don't watch much TV but I do keep my eye on Coronation Street.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

What about Tom Finney, he must be a legendary figure in Preston. Does he still live there.

When you say you couldn't take part at The Manchester Games. Was that as a sportswoman or spectator

I come from Dundee. Mary Slessor, the Missionary was born there and went to Africa after working in the Jute factories that the town was famous for. She would be a good choice for a film Biopic

Brian Cox the actor was also born there, or Monifieth which is just a couple of miles away.

World 10-000 mtrs Champion Liz Macloglen was born there, as was footballer Peter Lorimer

We also have historical docks in the city. We are known as The City Of Dicovery, because Captain Robert Falcon Scott's ship Discovery was built there and was used on his first trip to the South Pole in 1901. The docks were also famous for whaling ships that used to search the world wide for their prey.
charliechaplinfan

Dundee is a place I've never been to, I've not really seen much of Scotland but I intend to remedy that one day. I want the children to see a lot of the Briitsh Isles.

Tom Finney's daughter lives next door to my mother in law. He's still a big figure in Preston.

The town I am from Chorley, it's most famous son is Bill Beaumont, ex England rugby captain.