C Aubrey Smith, sporting all rounder

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

C Aubrey Smith, sporting all rounder

Post by stuart.uk »

Most of us know of C Aubrey Smith as the great old character actor from Queen Christina, The Prisoner Of Zenda, Waterloo Bridge and Little Women.

However, Smith was also a cricketer of some note playing for Cambridge and county side Sussex. I presume he was a gentleman player back in the days when sides were a mixture of professionals and amateur Gentlemen. It's was a period of class distiction that last right up to the early 1960s where the pros were expected to tip their hats to their supposed betters and call them Mr.

Smith was a talented right arm fast bowler, who was also a useful batsmen. It's surprising to discover he only played in one test match, not only because he was Captain, but that he took, what must have been a great performance of 5 wickets for 19 runs against South Africa in Port Elizabeth in the 1888-89 season. One reason why it might have been his only match was because I think Smith was living in South Africa at the time and he was, as a gentleman player, maybe given the Captaincy as a one-off. It's quite possible he played in the same side as crickets first ever superstar England's W.G Grace, who often Captained the test side during that particular period.

Smith in 1932 formed the Hollywood Cricket Club and played with David Niven, Laurence Olivier and Boris Karloff. However, I have to imagine that in his 60s, his bowling style would have slowed down considerably from his days as a test class bowler.

I've never seen Raffles, but I'm wodering if David Niven had to show of his cricketing skills in the film. In the 70s tv series starring Anthony Valentine, Raffles was seen as a talented Test bowler.
Iscovescu

Post by Iscovescu »

I've viewed raffles a couple times and remember no cricket skills displayed by Niven. Delighted to see your note on Smith who was always a pleasure to watch.