'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by knitwit45 »

Jackie, your ice is much worse than 30 inches of snowdrift. Hope you and family stay warm and safe!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, we're all in the house! What could be safer? I'm in shock - I still can't believe Mr. Favell didn't go to work - he's a complete workaholic. I bet a million bucks he'll go in later.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

We had a lot of ice and sleet with about an inch of snow on top. Temp is around 8 degrees this morning. I didn't go to work yesterday, but I'm going to try and get down there today.

The good news is its my business, so I can be as late as I please. The bad news is its my business and if no work gets done I'm going hungry.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Please, be careful out there, Mr. Arkadin! (love your new avatar, BTW.)
klondike

Post by klondike »

Well, the word came out today: Windham, Windsor & Orange counties in Vermont have topped the 7' mark for snowfall accumulation since Thanksgiving - which is no big deal for us, by the start of March . . but it's been about 20 years since we've reached that total by Groundhog Day! :?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lucky that we are having an early spring this year, eh? Thanks Punxsutawney Phil!

Mr. Favell decided to go to work so he went out to scrape the drive way.... turns out that the town snowplow is stuck at the bottom of our street and can't get up here. Whee! Mr. Favell decided not to go to work. Again. Even he isn't that crazy.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

We only had rain. I feel bad for all of you suffering under this nightmare. Everyone be careful. Even with our little bit of snow we've had reports of people getting run over from walking in the street and other issues from power outages.

Keep posting, if you can, so we know how everyone is making out.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Lots of ice, which means wrecks and stranded vehicles. Fortunately, I wasn't one of the casualties, although I did think about this film quite a bit:

[youtube][/youtube]
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Did Klonnie do this, or was it ChiO?????
Last edited by knitwit45 on February 3rd, 2011, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I had a real scare last night. By 10:30 my daughter was snowed in. She couldn't open either of her doors to get in or out. My car is dead with a dead battery, so I knew I was stranded here at home which has always been my cozy nest but I have some weird kind of heat that works with hot water running through the pipes, but with no electric, there is no spark to turn on the heater to boil the water that runs through the pipes. So by midnight I was freezing, wrapped in an afghan, going around making sure the candles were all still lit and safely away from any blowing curtains or anything. The wind was blowing so hard it felt like my living room windows were open. What scared me was that last time we had a bad storm, some people were out of electricity for weeks, and that thought gave me cold chills.

I sure miss my old group of neighbors who all got together during times like this, but the folks who are here now are all very unsociable for various reasons. One's son was drafted and in Iraq or somewhere, the other's husband took off with all the money, cars, and kids, so she's kind of lost, and the last is new from November. So, of course they all have valid reasons to not be overly joyous and carefree. They have all stopped in for a cup of tea at times, but we just haven't had that 'over the back fence' atmosphere like I used to have with the old group.

Anyway, I saw myself either freezing to an ice cube, or starving (heck of a way to lose weight !) Actually the whole block was dark but it must have been an easy fix because the electric came back on around 4:30 a.m. I wasn't here for the 1999 blizzard, but I sure remember the 1967 with people not getting home from work until 3 and 4 in the morning, cars buried for weeks, etc. This is one of the reasons I wish I could move back to Nevada.

I hope everyone is well stocked up just in case we get another wave. This has been like after shocks of an earthquake, more snow or ice every couple of days. Be careful with the shoveling. No place is so important that you risk your health to clear your car. A heart attack will keep you from work just as not getting the car unburied will.

Good Luck to all.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote: Did Klonnie do this, or was it ChiO?????
Ha!
Thanks for thinking of the old Sled Dog, Nancy, but I reckon it must've been that rascal ChiO - Mrs. K brews her own beer, several times every year, so's long as I keep her flattered up, I can drink my fill.
No still, yet (unlike my grandfathers), so I do need to get out for my Jameson's!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

After four neighbors with shovels and one with a snowblower helped clear the alley down to our garage yesterday, and me spending about 90 minutes this morning digging out my car, the last thing I need is a beer.

Klonny -- When you go for the Jameson's, grab one (or two) for me.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm glad that you and ChiO got through this latest assault from Jack Frost.

Good News: 45 days until Spring
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You gotta love 'em - men and their beer! I don't shovel nowadays, but back when I did, when I finished, all I wanted was a hot cup of tea or hot chocolate. Cold beer just gave me a head freeze.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Hope you all are safe and warm. We were supposed to have snow today, and schools shuttered everywhere here near the coast, but it's mainly been rain and ice...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor