Discussion of programming on TCM.
Birdy

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by Birdy »

Frog Brothers: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
klondike

Post by klondike »

Yes, at this time of nostalgic sadness, let us not forget that as long as we have Corey Feldman, we still have the Frog Bros. Comics & Novelty Shop, and all the fun & mystery that was the boardwalk of Santa Carla!
Thanks Birdy! :mrgreen:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

With only one big screen appearance I can recall (The Undefeated) most would know him from "Little House on The Prairie" and "Father Murphy," Merlin Olsen has died. Moreover most people don't remember much he was a dominating defensive lineman for the Los Angeles Rams once upon a time. From AOL...

Merlin Olsen Dies at 6926
Comments
Say Something »

3/11/2010 12:05 PM ET By FanHouse Newswire

PrintAText SizeE-mail More
FanHouse Newswire

Merlin Olsen, a member of both the Pro Football and College Football Halls of Fame, died Thursday morning at the age of 69.

Olsen had been diagnosed with mesothelioma in 2009 and had since been undergoing chemotherapy treatments, according to the Cache Valley Daily.

Olsen was inducted in the NFL's Hall of Fame after a dominating 15-year career as a defensive tackle for the Los Angeles Rams, where he was part of the "Fearsome Foursome." He earned 14 consecutive Pro Bowl honors in his first 14 seasons and was a six-time first-team All-Pro selection.

In 1994, Olsen was named to the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team, alongside legendary defensive tackles "Mean" Joe Greene and Bob Lilly.

Olsen is also a member of the College Football Hall of Fame's Class of 1980. He enjoyed a legendary career at previously little-known Utah State. A two-time All-American (1960 and '61), Olsen also won the Outland Trophy in 1961 as the nation's top interior lineman.

In December, Utah State named its field at Romney Stadium in Olsen's honor.

After his football career ended, Olsen began work on television as a color commentator for NBC's NFL coverage. He also dabbled in acting, including roles on Little House on the Prairie and Father Murphy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

I remember him from LA Rams days, the glory days of the Fearsome Foursome: Rosie Grier, Deacon Jones, Lamar Lundy and Merlin Olsen with Roman Gabriel as quarterback.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

Didn't Roman Gabriel co-star with Olsen in The Undefeated?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Didn't Roman Gabriel co-star with Olsen in The Undefeated?

Yep, Gabriel had a small career in film and tv during his salad days with the Rams.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I did my own little tribute on the TV thread. I wasn't sure if he would appear on this one and I wanted to make sure he did not go un-noted. Even as much as a Bears fan as I am, I feel this man was great. I know a couple of people who met him off the field and everyone said he was as nice as could be.

R.I.P. Merlin
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Peter Graves has passed away:

From ABC Online:

Peter Graves, best known for his starring role on the television series Mission: Impossible, has died aged 83.

Graves' publicist Sandy Brokaw says the actor died on Sunday (US time) shortly after returning to his Los Angeles home from brunch with his family.

Graves was best known for his portrayal of Jim Phelps, leader of a gang of special agents who battled evil conspirators in the long-running television series Mission: Impossible.

He won a Golden Globe in 1971 for his work on the show, and was also nominated for an Emmy.

Graves also portrayed bumbling airline pilot Clarence Oveur in the 1980 disaster movie spoof Airplane, which was released in Australia as Flying High.

He is survived by his wife and three daughters.

I'm hoping that the LA Times has more comprehensive obit soon.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

And who can forget Mr. Graves in "Parts: The Clonus Horror?"
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Just in case anyone did not know he was the younger brother of James Arness.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This is an example of how much I get into movies. I was so angry at the end of the movie Mission Impossible, I told everyone not to see it unless they wanted to see their idols broken in front of their eyes. When they turned Peter Graves part into the bad guy at the end of the movie, I was furious. In fact I never saw MI II, deprivation of myself I guess, but I thought that was a dirty shame. All those years he stood for right, and they turn him into a traitor. Rotten, just rotten.

Anyway, much of his stuff on Airplane is hilarious, and that is one movie you have to watch more than once, because it is impossible to catch all the lines in one showing.

R.I.P. Peter Graves
Anne

klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:.
When they turned Peter Graves part into the bad guy at the end of the movie, I was furious. In fact I never saw MI II, deprivation of myself I guess, but I thought that was a dirty shame. All those years he stood for right, and they turn him into a traitor. Rotten, just rotten.

I disagree; IMO, "they" didn't turn Peter Graves' part into anything.
He did that, performing his role from the script "they" wrote, and handed him.
He was paid for the work he did, and could have said no to their offer; it wasn't like he had to audition for the part.
So either PG just didn't care about the character, or he approved of how the role finished out, or he found the treason his character committed to be a challenge for himself as a dramatic actor.
But whatever the case was, he was definitely a willing participant!

Mission accomplished, Pete; requiscat in pacem.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

My first memories of Peter Graves was as Jim Newton in the Saturday morning western themed show, Fury.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klondike:

i hate it when you're so logical. Believe it or not, I'm the one who usually sees both sides of the story, but you always manage to catch me when I'm not using my brain at all.
Once again I bow to the Master :oops: :P
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

he was a GREAT surprise in Stalag 17 which I should nominate in the Best war movies thread.