The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by knitwit45 »

I am so behind the times....didn't even know about this. I do know the texting/yelling/oblivious to others is becoming more and more prevalent. I may not want to join this test group (if I'm even invited). Watching drivers blow thru 'orange' lights, with phone plastered to ear is enough to turn me off talking while driving. 2 separate fatality accidents have occurred here in the past 3 years, both involving teens who were texting and driving. One young driver took out a family of four with her, the other one killed herself and her 2 best friends.
progress????
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It is that kind of thing that has caused Maryland to ban talking on a phone without some hands-free device and sending or receiving texts. The texting seems a no-brainer. The phone ban brought up a bit more of an argument.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

There's a flat fine of £60 here and 3 points on your licence for anyone caught with a mobile whilst driving and I'm in complete agreement.

Facebook has some good points. Good on Steve for turning out to rescue your daughter Chris.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm not sure if it's progress, either, but if Google came to town and offered broadband for free, I'd be using it on my home computer, that's for sure. Of course, I don't understand why normal broadband isn't fast enough for most people as it is. My ISP company keeps offering me more power--for one more cockamamie fee, of course. If I were trying to take over a multi-national corporation from my cubby hole at chez Finnie I might see the reasoning behind this, but I really don't see the point (though of course those who are addicted to video gaming on their laptops and iphones think this is an absolute must :roll: )
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I heard some details today, it is being offered in Kansas City Kansas only. The larger city of Kansas City, Missouri is not receiving it. Interesting choice, to say the least. The capital city of Topeka, Kansas campaigned strenuously for the Google site, even offered to change the name of the city to 'Google'...I hope that was a silly joke...
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:I heard some details today, it is being offered in Kansas City Kansas only. The larger city of Kansas City, Missouri is not receiving it. Interesting choice, to say the least. The capital city of Topeka, Kansas campaigned strenuously for the Google site, even offered to change the name of the city to 'Google'...I hope that was a silly joke...
I had the impression that Gardner was quite close to KC, Kansas, Nancy, and was hoping that you might
get something free out of this hoopla. The towns and cities that kissed the hem of Google's garments in hopes of getting their nod by offering to change their name made me embarrassed for them, but then I remember we live in the land where 61 years ago something similar happened. The radio program Truth or Consequences, offered to broadcast their creepy game show from the first town that spurned its own history, and changed its name to the same as the program. The obsequious Ralph Edwards soon announced that Hot Springs, NM was the "winner," and is still known as Truth or Consequences, making a home for about 8,000 people. They now have an annual chile festival there too, with events staged in Ralph Edwards Park.

Only in America, huh?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Gardner is really a 'bedroom' suburb of Olathe, which used to be a 'bedroom' suburb of Overland Park, which was a 'bedroom' suburb of KCMO. The 'burbs keep spreading, but no one wants to be a 'burb of KCKS..that was once considered a poor area. Of course, KSKS now has a NASCAR racetrack, great shopping, beautiful residential areas....but no one seems to forget the 'stigma' of the past. Class dismissed, there will be a pop quiz on Monday... :lol: :lol: :lol:
charliechaplinfan

Tomorrow we are setting off for our Easter holiday. We are going to stay outside Paris for four days and during our stay we're going to meet Christine/AnnHarding and then we travel on to Normandy for a more relaxing time. I've been a bit apprehensive about this trip because I didn't know how mine and Libby's health would hold up, I think I'll be fine as long as I don't over do it. Libby, touch wood, will be fine too. Once we go to Normandy I have my 40th birthday, I've told my husband, no war stuff on my birthday, we've seen it all before, I think I'm going to go to a nice pattiserie and sample some cakes along with some nice wine.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

how lovely! I hope your trip is relaxing and stress free. Tell Christine hello, and visit Rue Cler for me! Are you sure you don't need a baggage carrier? no? Well, maybe next time....
feaito

Post by feaito »

Have a great time in la belle France! :D
charliechaplinfan

knitwit45 wrote:how lovely! I hope your trip is relaxing and stress free. Tell Christine hello, and visit Rue Cler for me! Are you sure you don't need a baggage carrier? no? Well, maybe next time....
That's Chris, one of the reasons I married him, along with tops off jars, reaching things off shelves etc :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

...and we kill bugs too.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

And he catches spiders and the mice that Charlie brings in that he hasn't killed and rescues them, whilst Charlie goes from triumphant to bring us a present that he's going to kill and present to us, to annoyed as his well thought out gift is caught and taken back outside. That cat can sulk.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Speaking, round-about, of usefulness within marriages, I still have dread imaginings of the day back in '76 when my lovely Bride-to-Be went back home for the weekend, and dropped the Bomb on Mom that she was going to marry me.
She did tell me that at one point during her mother's resulting tirade/conniption-fit, she told her parents that after all, one day she might need something trapped or skun or chopped-down or hauled away in a pick-up truck . . . as her Mom's an anal-compulsive ex-Marine, I wager that felt like just more bamboo under her fingernails :twisted: . . .
As for my actual contributions to our household, Mrs. K is fond of reminding me that if we can manage another 33 years together, she can probably find something I'm good for . . :roll:
charliechaplinfan

What a bunch of romantics we are :lol: my other half would say I'm useful for complaining when service is bad and getting results by being tenacious and dealing with his parents. That's probably as romantic as he gets. Paris isn't going to change us in that respect.

See you all on Easter Sunday, be good :D