JAPANESE MOVIES - ANY OTHER FANS ?

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: JAPANESE MOVIES - ANY OTHER FANS ?

Post by pvitari »

I've never heard of Steven Chow, I learn something new everyday.
It's hard to describe Stephen Chow. If you put Bugs Bunny, the Road Runner, Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee (who Chow idolizes), Michael Hui (an earlier Cantonese language comic actor), Charlie Chaplin, Jerry Lewis, Jim Carrey, and any number of anime characters, and a multiplicity of other Asian and Western influences, plus everything Hong Kong, into a blender and mixed all that up, that might begin to give you an idea of what Stephen Chow is like. Except that he's totally an original, even if he's the king of reference.

He is the Fred Astaire of verbal hijinks, a nimble kung fu master of puns which are rife in Cantonese because it has nine tones, which means nine different meanings for each word. He can spew off a stream of absolutely insane verbal nonsense -- anachronisms, non sequiturs, the puns, slang (some of which he makes up), and every form of word play you can think of -- that leaves his Cantonese audience helpless with laughter. His style of wit even has its own name: mo lei tau, which loosely translated means "makes no sense." A lot of it is based on the specifics of life in Hong Kong, where Chow grew up. And yet, he is such a superb physical comedian, with such finely-tuned timing, and that even non-Cantonese speakers find him absolutely hilarious. From what I've heard, the English language subtitles on his films are barely adequate to convey what Chow is saying, and sometimes downright inaccurate. Even so... he's so funny it hurts. I would recommend that Westerners bone up on Chinese and Hong Kong culture and films as much as possible though; it really helps you appreciate Stephen Chow's art.

When asked who his favorite actor was -- you'll like this -- Chow answered Chaplin. And it's easy to see the Chaplin influence in his work, because as he gained more and more control over his films and matured as an artist (he eventually began directing his own films), they became more profound, more poignant, more tears mixed in with the laughter. Chow is incredibly adept at making you laugh out loud one moment, and then making you reach for a tissue the next. The ending of his second Chinese Odyssey film is pure Chaplin.

He's probably most well known to Westerners for his movies Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, both of which were massive hits -- I mean like tsunamis -- at the box office in Asia. Shaolin Soccer was released in the west by Miramax, but they screwed it up with a HORRIBLE English language soundtrack, various edits and cuts, and a new music track. I can't tell you what a botch it was. Kung Fu Hustle got much better treatment from Sony and it did quite well in the West -- Chow even came to the U.S. and did publicity, although his English is only so-so. There were some grumbles by Cantonese speaking fans about these two films because Chow seemed to be dialing down his verbal humor to concentrate more on physical humor, which would make his films more appealing to Westerners. But even if he is trying to appeal more to the West, his films remain absolutely rooted in Hong Kong. Kung Fu Hustle, for all its Warner Bros. cartoon influence, is set in a Hong Kong tenement much like the one Chow grew up in. Many of the situations and characters are loosely adapted from a famous 1966 Cantonese-language film, The House of 73 Tenants, an ensemble comedy set in a similar tenement that heralded a new wave of Cantonese language films reflecting the language actually spoken by the people of Hong Kong, after decades of domination by Mandarin language films. And there are references to much beloved literary characters known to all Chinese speaking people, much as Westerners would be familiar with Robin Hood and King Arthur. Plus it helps to know something about Buddhism. ;) And kung fu. ;)

He used to crank out movies every few months in the 1990s but once he started producing and directing the pace slowed, and now he takes several years just to make one movie. He has also become less interested in acting and more in directing, unfortunately for his fans, as he is hugely charismatic on camera and we love to watch him. His last movie, CJ-7, was released here in the U.S. but with little media attention. He only gave himself a supporting role anyway. He's been working on a number of projects since, including a remake of the Chinese Odyssey films and possibly a Kung Fu Hustle sequel.

Did I mention that on top of everything else Stephen Chow is also drop dead gorgeous? :)

(Yes, it's the same person!) :)

One of his goofier moments, which is saying something as Chow is the king of goofy

He's been going gray in recent years ;)

Chow was supposed to cross over officially to Hollywood when he signed on to direct the Green Hornet film starring Seth Rogen as Britt Reid and to play Kato (originally played by his idol Bruce Lee), but it didn't work out. First he dropped out as director, then as Kato. That noise you heard was the sigh of relief from millions of Stephen Chow fans around the world. :)

P.S. I'm sorry for hijacking this off topic which is Japanese films, which I do love too. Believe it or not, it was Drunken Angel that turned me into a Kurosawa fan rather than one of the more famous titles like Seven Samurai or Yojimbo. ;)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

He is a handsome man, are there any of his films you'd recommend? So much can be lost in translation but if there is a film that retains a flavour of him, I'll give it a try.

Drunken Angel is a great Kurosawa movie. Toshiro Mifune is wonderful here.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I'd start with Shaolin Soccer. It's one of Chow's more recent films but it's a good place to start. However, when you get the DVD, do NOT watch the English language version, it's a mess. Watch the one with the original Cantonese language and original music track.

If you like that, then some other good titles for newbies are God of Gamblers 2, Fight Back to School, Royal Tramp 1 and 2, King of Beggars, Love on Delivery, God of Cookery and King of Comedy. This will give you a good idea of Chow's flexibility -- he's just as home in modern-day stories or historical ones, and he can play arrogant types as well as sweet mild-mannered guys. But he always is a lightning-speed talker. ;) Usually something happens that will put a huge obstacle in his way and send him on a tailspin but he'll eventually recover and succeed. But he rings every chime in that set of bells so it's not really as formulaic as it sounds. ;) He usually (although not always) plays characters named Sing, which is his Chinese first name (Sing Chi) -- Sing means "Star."
charliechaplinfan

I've added Shoalin Soccer to my rental list. Hopefully it will be sent soon.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I watched I'm Still Waiting part of the Nikkatsu Noir series, it's the first one I've seen from this box set, it's obviously take it's influences from the American movies of the time, the story could be an American one just transposed to Japan and set amongst their underworld, however it has a slight hint of teen idol movie for me, I have the slight impression that the leading man and woman, Yojuro Ishihara and Mie Kitahara, might have been the idols of their day, they are sweet whereas their surroundings are grubby. A fine movie, I'm looking forward to watching the others from the series.
Rita Hayworth

Re:

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:I am a huge fan. Here's an old Tokyo Story essay I did that probably needs revision badly:

A short list of favorites would include:

STRAY DOG 1948
TOKYO STORY 1953
CRAZED FRUIT 1956
HIGH AND LOW 1963
RED BEARD 1965
TOKYO DRIFTER 1966
DRUNKEN ANGEL 1948
IKIRU 1952
LATE SPRING 1949
KWAIDAN 1964
THRONE OF BLOOD 1957
THE BURMESE HARP 1956
FIRES ON THE PLAIN 1959
Allison, I seen these movies (I read your entire thread, and Mr. Ark made it very easy) in my lifetime and I find them well made and I have a hard time remembering the actors/actresses that starred in them. But, I do remember the titles of the films and ALL of these films were fabulous in many ways more than one. But, I can't put a finger on it until I see it again! I would love to see Japanese Film Festival on TCM so that we all can be treated to something different than the movies that we are used to seeing on a regular basis. I seen a lot of them in the mid-1970's to mid-1980's on my Public Broadcasting System Channel - PBS.
charliechaplinfan

I don't quite know what it is and why I love Japanese films so much but I find them extremely interesting. I haven't yet seen any of the monster/Godzilla movies that they've made but I wouldn't discount them. My favourites are the family movies but I've found so far I've liked all that I've seen.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I have seen every Godzilla films made. My personal favorite is King Kong verses Godzilla!
charliechaplinfan

I'll seek that one out then.
charliechaplinfan

I've watched two other films from the noir series, The Rusty Knife and A Colt is My Passport, both stylised and wonderfully atomospheric, both deal with the yakusa, the Japanese gangsters. I'd highly recommend these to any noir film fans.
charliechaplinfan

I watched Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan or The Ghost of Yotsuya from 1959 an entertaining samarai story of a samurai gone bad who kills the father of the woman he wants to marry after being refused permission and who goes on to murder more. It's beautiful but quite dark in a visual sense, I wished the screen was clearer because what I could see was beautiful, especially the women. The grotesqueness of the ghosts were quite creepy but effective.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Did anyone watch (or record to watch later, or both) KURUTTA IPPEIJI (Teinosuke Kinugasa 1926) this afternoon? Wow!

Imagine SHOCK CORRIDOR co-directed by Robert Wiene and F.W. Murnau, shot by Karl Freund, and edited by Jean-Luc Godard. Or something like that. An avant-garde silent that looks incredibly modern. Certainly not naturalistic, but it feels very real.

The only other Kinugasa film I've seen is GATE OF HELL (1953), which I liked a great deal, but I'm on a search now more.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles