31 Days of Oscar Schedule 2009 is posted

Discussion of programming on TCM.
srowley75

31 Days of Oscar Schedule 2009 is posted

Post by srowley75 »

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid= ... d=2/1/2009

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid= ... d=3/1/2009

Outside of a handful of features, nothing too impressive or dazzling to report. The only ones that caught my eye were the 1937 version of Artists and Models, starring Jack Benny and Ida Lupino (Feb 1, 2pm); the 1945 Brewster's Millions (Feb 2, 8pm); and the Mitchell Leisen comedy No Time for Love (Feb 15, 8pm). Other than that, nothing earth-shattering. (I scan every time hoping to see Private Worlds [1935] tucked away somewhere.)

I also noticed a fair helping of post-1950 Warners titles - at least, more than what station has been broadcasting in the past couple of years: East of Eden, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Friendly Persuasion, maybe 3 or 4 more.

-Stephen
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hooray! the 1991 version of Enchanted April is on at 10 pm ET, Feb 10. This one is better than the 30's version (with apologies to our Ann Harding). One of the best Joan Plowright performances ever! The Italian countryside is stunning, and Michael Kitchen (sigh :oops: :oops: )is in it to boot!

in case no one noticed, this is one of my favorite movies! :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:The Italian countryside is stunning, and Michael Kitchen (sigh :oops: :oops: )is in it to boot!
So, does he boot by restarting computers, or is he just booting opponents during brawls?
:roll:

{Sorry, Nancy, but Anne has me all hyper-defensive over that whole "exploringing" thing!}
:x :? :x
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Klonnie, he BOOTS the competition down the hill!

Hey, K, don't ever let anyone discourage you, you are one of the most endearing parts of this board! Your willingness to share not only your insights into movies, but your personal thoughts, and the love you hold for your family.....you're the tops! (cue chorus)

so you go exploringing as much as you want, just as long as we get to go along for the trip!!!!!

N
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

I'm excited that they are showing Friendly Persuasion. It is a wonderful, moving, thought provoking story about a family of Quakers trying to stick by their peaceful faith in the midst of the Civil War. Directed by William Wyler and starring (my fave) Gary Cooper and Dorothy McGuire it has bits of humor, drama, and romance and it is a movie the whole family can enjoy.

It was nominated for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor (Anthony Perkins), Best Director, Best Original Song, Best Sound Recording, and Best Adapted Screenplay.

FYI, Gary was hoping to get Ingrid Bergman to play the role of his wife to get her career in Hollywood going again. She was very moved by his gesture (they had starred in two films together in the 40s and remained friends) but she turned it down not wanting to hurt his reputation or career.
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
drednm

Post by drednm »

Yes it's rare TCM shows anything new during Oscar month.... I already have ARTISTS AND MODELS but BREWSTER'S MILLIONS is one I've not seen....