Who is this Guy???

Gagman 66

Who is this Guy???

Post by Gagman 66 »

Everyone,

:? Who is this man Flirting with Renee Adoree in this photograph? He does not look at all familiar? Does anyone know who He might be???

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

He's not anyone I would recognise. Is it possible it might be someone from outside the film world? Do you have a date to help you?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
drednm

Post by drednm »

I still think it's Marshall Neilan
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Brenda, it sure looks like Borzage, from the picture on the link you posted

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Everyone,

:o I suppose that it could be either Neilan or Borzage. The trouble is as far as I remember, Renee Adoree never made a movie with either of these two directors? Though I could be wrong?

:roll: Neilan made a few with Colleen Moore, but not Adoree. Borzage made THE CIRCLE in 1925 with Eleanor Boardman. She worked on the MGM lot at the same time. That same year, AN EXCHANGE OF WIVES featured both Eleanor, and Renee together in the same feature. That's a must see for me! The film is not lost!
charliechaplinfan

It looks more like Neilan than Borzage to me, but I'm not an expert.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Everyone,

:o According to Jorge, the guy is actually Renee's second Husband William Gill. At least that is what it says in this link he found:

http://www.jamd.com/image/in-search/ren ... 34g3268141
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

8) I'm glad you found out Jeffrey. He sure does resemble both Neilan and Borzage. I looked it up, and they were married less than two years. Such a shame-she seemed to have no luck with men. She had an affair with John Gilbert even though she knew he was in love with Greta Garbo.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Brenda,

I never heard that She had an Affair with Gilbert before? That surprises me, If true? As for his being in love with Garbo, I would have been in love with Renee. :lol:
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Jeffrey, I could be wrong, but I did read that somewhere, or heard it in a documentary or something. If I remember correctly, it was toward the end of his career. It was during a talking picture that they made together. They had been friends all along and he liked her very much according to his daughter's bio. With John though, you had a very unstable man who could never be faithful to any woman no matter how much he loved or esteemed her. I'll see if I can find where I heard this.
Last edited by silentscreen on November 9th, 2008, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Yes in Leatrice Gilbert Fountain's book about her father, she describes Renee as a former lover who had become a dear and affectionate friend.

So you see, you learn something new every day! :shock:
charliechaplinfan

I'd read about it in a book called Garbo and Gilbert in Love the scource is probably Leatrice's book. I distinctly remember talk about an affair when they were making The Big Parade together.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Oh, I thought it happened when they made their last and only talking picture together, Redemption. I think they made four movies together, and John was well John. It does make better sense that it occured earlier on though.
Gagman 66

Or Could It Be.....

Post by Gagman 66 »

Brenda,

:? Huh? Now according to sources on Nitrateville, it is not hubby William Gill in the photo at all, but rather Director William Wellman! Anyway, there appears to be a William in there someplace? It's possible, Wellman made a few films at MGM in 1926, and Renee made TIN GODS that year at Paramount. In any event, the mystery deepens! Five different websites have five different names mentioned for this photo? They don't agree on the year that it was taken either. So after all that, we still are not for certain who it really is with Renee in this picture! :( Whoever it is, I'm not to sure that I like 'Em? :lol: