Films that made you cry

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have several and some of them have become so much to me that I often read, or change the channel to avoid them. One however, that never fails to bust the dam, whether I watch or not is the end of Not Without My Daughter, when they round the corner and you see the American flag flying in the breeze at the American Embassy. It's a mixture of patriotism and relief that she and her baby have come through that harrowing experience and will soon be home on American soil. I sob like a baby and will never watch it with anyone else in the room.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

The end of You Can't Take it With You when they're all playing and singing Polly Woddle Doodle gets me.

The one that gets me the worst though is Pride of the Yankees. Obviously, the farewell speech at the end is a tear jerker but what gets me much worse is when Billy, a crippled kid who is now in his teens and able to walk on his own shows up to the game. He sees Lou as he's walking in the ball park and reminds him that when he was a kid he visited him in the hospital and told him if he tried hard enough he could do anything. Then he shows Lou how he can walk on his own now and the kid has tears in his eyes and Lou is visibly moved by it. It's a beautiful scene and it just reduces me to mush every time. :cry:
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
markfp

Post by markfp »

The recent release MARLEY AND ME had me in tears at the end and I had even read the book.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Shadowlands, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Pan's Labyrinth, Portrait of Jennie, Stars in my Crown, The Constant Nymph, to name a few.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Jenny Agutter's 14-yr-old Bobbie, reunited with her falsly imprisoned father Iain Cuthbertson after he's proved innocent in The Railway Children
klondike

Post by klondike »

The Secret of Roan Inish

Rembrandt

I Know Where I'm Going

The Sterile Cuckoo

Brazil

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Legends of the Fall

To Kill a Mockingbird

Night of the Hunter

Eight Below

Sullivan's Travels

Matewan

Kim

Mighty Joe Young (1949)

A Walk in the Clouds

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

The Sand Piper
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The "Silk Stockings" ballet. Cyd Charisse was never EVER lovelier.

That last, glorious swing thru the street in Singin' in the Rain.

A Walk in the Clouds
Our Vines have Tender Grapes
I Remember Mama
Penny Serenade
Return to Me
Heidi
It's A Wonderful Life
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I manage to shed a tear when in "The Grapes of Wrath" grandpa Joad walks into a diner and wants to buy ten cents worth of bread for grandma who can't chew much else since she has no teeth.

When Annie Johnson wants to hold her 'baby' Sarah Jane just once more in that motel room in "Imitation of Life".

When a mortally wounded Gypo Nolan walks into a church in "The Informer" and exclaims "Frankie, your mother forgives me!".

When little Jackie Cooper carries on and cries his eyes out after his dad expires in "The Champ".

When Catherine Sloper is deserted by Morris Townsend on the night they were to elope in "The Heiress".

etc.
melwalton

cry

Post by melwalton »

ALMOST

The scene in the park in FOUR DAUGHTERS with Garfield and PAT Lane sparring. brought a lump to my throat. dunno why. I've seen the movie since and found it full of cliches and hammy acting but that first time got to me. I think a lot depends on one's mood.

Another one I recall is Charles Boyer and Olivia DeHavilland running toward each other at the end of HOLD BACK THE DAWN. It's been done before and since but never better, ... mel

FOR ONE BRIEF, SHINING MOMENT .... LERNER
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The ending of Brief Encounter

The ending of City Lights

The Kid being snatched away from his 'father'

and the two biggies for me

Aslan being crucified in The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe

and

Fly's babies being sold in Babe.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

BORN FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not just the music, but seeing cute baby animal lions and then "Elsa" who was so attached to her owners...oh I used to go into a real "state" as a child watching that movie and I even decided to dedicate my whole life to preserving wildlife at that point. I'm afraid all I accomplished was preserving a "wild" life. :P

But the movie and the music still make me go to pieces.

[youtube][/youtube]
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Miss G

You'll like this I think

[youtube][/youtube]
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"Ring of Bright Water" really tore me up as a kid. Hardly anyone seems to know it today, however.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I grew up watching Ring of Bright Water on TV, I read the book it's based on and I have the movie on tape. :) It really tore me up as a child and I desperately wanted a "Midge" of my own. :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
klondike

Post by klondike »

MikeBSG wrote:"Ring of Bright Water" really tore me up as a kid. Hardly anyone seems to know it today, however.
I rented it again last Autumn (more for Scotland than the otter), and shared it with the Mrs., who'd never seen it.
Should've warned her! :?
When Mij got mattocked in the ditch, she actually cried out loud . . and she's hardly a woman faint o' heart! :shock: