May Schedule is Up

Discussion of programming on TCM.
srowley75

May Schedule is Up

Post by srowley75 »

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid= ... d=5/1/2009

I've only browsed through a few days' worth but it already looks impressive.

Sean Connery is the star of the month.

Within the first couple of days there are two films I've been looking to collect for a while, Knight Without Armour (1937) and One Potato, Two Potato (1964).
Last edited by srowley75 on February 24th, 2009, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdb1

Re: May Schedule is Up

Post by jdb1 »

srowley75 wrote:http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?s ... =EST&cid=N

I've only browsed through a few days' worth but it already looks impressive.

Sean Connery is the star of the month.

Within the first couple of days there are two films I've been looking to collect for a while, Knight Without Armour (1937) and One Potato, Two Potato (1964).
This link is not working for me -- I get, first, "Page Not Available" and then just the general TCM schedule page, which only goes to April. Can you try it again, please?
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I edited the link above. Try now.

I also sometimes get an error message on the daily schedule page. I have to refresh 2 or 3 times before the page will appear.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Judith:

We get "The Laurel and Hardy Murder Case."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

And Sean Connery's Bond films are by far the bulk of his "Star of the Month" tribute.

So now TCM is the station with the rights to the Bond films. If during their leasing period they schedule those movies half as often as other stations that have leased them in the past (AMC, the Encore networks, Spike) then God help subscribers. Encore Action played them virtually non-stop a couple of years ago.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

For a change I actually looked over the schedule (I'm usually
so bad about that) and these are the things that stood out for me:

5/2 - Knight Without Armour (1937) - Marlene Dietrich movie I've never seen.

5/3 - Young Widow - Early Jane Russell movie, never seen.

5/5 - Silents in primetime including Ramona (1910) by DW Griffith

5/6 - Rio Bravo!

5/7 - One Sunday Afternoon - Rarely seen Gary Cooper movie (this is the one where his name is Grimes)

5/11 - The Hucksters (8:00pm) and later, Riptide!

5/16 - Edward Arnold in primetime

5/18 - Precodes all day, including Rain or Shine (1930), a rare Capra movie I've never seen; and Myrna Loy in primetime

5/21 - Bobby Montgomery all day, including one I have never seen...The First Hundred Years.

5/31 - The White Sister (1923) Ronald Colman. I've only seen the version with Gable.

Lots of 60s thru 80s movies in May, including several of the James Bond series, a permier for TCM I think.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

srowley75 wrote:I edited the link above. Try now.

I also sometimes get an error message on the daily schedule page. I have to refresh 2 or 3 times before the page will appear.
Got it.

Thanks.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Knight Without Armour is a lavish Korda production directed by Jacques Feyder. It's got incredible sets by Lazare Meerson. The story is pretty far fetch but it's very enjoyable.

The White Sister was first shown on TCM France in 2006. It's a fabulous silent. 8) The Fleming remake is studio-bound and really boring.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

srowley75 wrote:And Sean Connery's Bond films are by far the bulk of his "Star of the Month" tribute.

So now TCM is the station with the rights to the Bond films. If during their leasing period they schedule those movies half as often as other stations that have leased them in the past (AMC, the Encore networks, Spike) then God help subscribers. Encore Action played them virtually non-stop a couple of years ago.
Enocre is currently running most of them again. Widescreen on On Demand and mostly full frame on the channel.

Someone mentioned that TCM may have sublet them from Encore or SpikeTV. Not sure but sounds good.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Lots of the old reliables, and some interesting new things. Here's what caught my eye:

May 2 -- At 10:30 AM, the charming The Little Fugitive (1953), by the husband and wife indie film team Morris Engle and Ruth Orkin. A little Brooklyn boy runs away to Coney Island because he thinks he killed his brother with a BB gun. Absolutely spot-on, take it from me. At 1 AM, One Potato, Two Potato (1964), dealing with interracial romance. We discussed it before -- worthwhile viewing.

May 3 - TCM is showing the French "Marius Trilogy," with Marius (1931) on this date at 2 AM, Fanny on May 10, and Cesar on May 17.

May 4 - Chaplin's not often seen The Pilgrim (1923) at 6 AM.

Later that day, films of amorality, crime, punishment and guilt: at 8 PM Payment Deferred (1932) with Charles Laughton; at 9:30 PM The Big Clock (1948), a stylish noir, and at 11:15 PM Crime and Punishment (1935) with Peter Lorre and Edward Arnold.

May 5 - As pointed out in a previous post, a silent short version of Ramona (1910), with Mary Pickford, will air at 8 PM. Sounds interesting.

May 6 - At 8 AM, Bataan (1943). This is the first installment, not as well known as the more popular and more often-aired Back to Bataan (1945), with John Wayne. The former stars Robert Taylor, and features Desi Arnaz's supporting Oscar nomination bid (I don't think he was nominated, but he chews the scenery up pretty good in his last few moments on screen).

At 1:45 PM you can see The Good Earth (1937), an old-style epic about China. Paul Muni is interesting; Louise Rainer is excellent.

May 8 -- Far out! At 2:15 AM, when the Happening's just getting started, we can groove on The Trip (1967), one of the most ludicrous and unintentionally funny drug culture movies Roger Corman ever made. Honestly, folks, even back in the day I found this one a trip indeed. Awful.

[Continued]
Last edited by jdb1 on February 24th, 2009, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Aaarrrggghhhh!!! I did it again! I deleted everything I just typed, and it was ever so good. Rats. Well, I'll try again.

May 9 - Lovers and Lollipops (1956) at 10:30 AM, another sweet indie from Engel & Orkin.

May 10 - Freaky Friday (1976) at 6 PM, the first incarnation of this mother/daughter switch comedy. I like this one the best. It features Jodie Foster as the daughter, and the underutilized, multi-talented and high-strung Barbara Harris as the mother.

May 11 - BritFilms all morning and afternoon, mostly comedies. A really cute Glynis Johns as a mermaid in Miranda (1948) at 6:15 AM, and the series ends with I'm All Right Jack (1960), a comedy about a labor dispute. This one was very popular here, at least it was in NYC.

May 12 - Hepburn's birthday (Katharine, that is), and a morning and afternoon of her movies. Movies with Latino/union or both as themes follow.

May 13 - The TCM programmer is winking at us again, this time in the first person, with a daytime of movies all having titles with the word "I" in them, like I Dream Too Much, I Want You, I Bury the Living, and I Could Go on Singing.

May 14 - One of the last of the Big Hollywood Epics, George Stevens' Giant (1956) at 11:30 PM. I like this one more every time I see it, and I like Rock Hudson's performance better as well. Now, many find fault with James Dean's work here, calling it mannered and self-indulgent. Maybe it is, but it's still riveting, and few actors could fill up the wide screen the way he does here. And don't overlook the exceptional Mercedes McCambridge, either. I'd so love to see this one in the theater. It's a beautiful movie.

May 20 - Barbra Steisand is at her most obnoxious (if that's possible) in For Pete's Sake (1974) at 8 PM. So what -- even if it was filmed in Brooklyn, that's no excuse. Talk about self-indulgent and mannered. Sheesh!

Memorial Day Weekend (May 23-25) gives us war, war, war, as Scarlett O'Hara would put it. There are too many films to list here, and I think all of them are worth looking at, if only for the Hollywood war effort/propaganda angle. Many on the schedule are excellent, like Bridge on the River Kwai, They Were Expendable, A Walk in the Sun, Objective Burma, and Action in the North Atlantic. To keep things interesting, TCM is showing the Russian film Ballad of a Soldier (1959) on May 24 at 2 AM. This one made quite an international splash in its day. And as mentioned on another thread, the wonderful silent The Big Parade (1925) will air on May 25 at 2:15 AM.

May 27 - At 6 AM we can see The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case (1930), which parodies those movies that follow, all featuring "society sleuth Philo Vance." Various actors portray Vance, and the movies feature Mary Astor, Rosalind Russell and Virginia Bruce.

May 31 - At 2:30 AM an interesting Japanese noir called Tokyo Drifter (1966).

I must say that although I like Sir Sean, I don't love many of his movies. However, I'll take a look when it's his SOTM days. There are also a few Steve McQueen movies on offer in May. I feel the same about him: love him, not wildly enthused about most of his movies.

Wonder what the Summer Under the Stars has in store for us.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Rio Bravo and High Noon on a double bill!!! Howard Hawks made Rio Bravo because he didn't find the premise of High Noon believable. So, the film geek in me says thanks TCMProgrammr!

The Bond films, uncut and commercial free!! Yay!!! Though, since they are getting an encore performance on Saturdays they may only be leased for the month.

Latin Images looks another great tribute in the Race and Hollywood series! It looks like it runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays (and Coop's birthday is on a Thursday so that may be why he didn't get the full birthday tribute)

And silents in primetime on the first Tuesday of the series (including Doug, Sr in Zorro !)

Saturday, May 9th is filled with lots of adventure movies including Robin Hood and Captain Blood .

Lots of pre-codes and perhaps the best Memorial Day tribute ever.

Philo Vance and Jungle Jim - a strange but interesting coupling.

Lone Star
ends the Latin Images series!

The only disappointment, no Darby O'Gill as part of Connery being the SOTM. Oh well, The Wind and the Lion will just have to do.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Highlights for me:

The Verdict (1946)

Island of Doomed Men (1940)

Green Pastures (1936)

Take a Giant Step (1958)

Lion in Winter (1968)

Come and Get It (1936)

Story of G.I Joe (1945)

Junior Bonner (1972)

The Big House (1930)

The Hill (1965)

Terror in a TX Town (1958)

Bluebeard (1941)

The White Sister (1923)
bryce

Post by bryce »

Evil Dead 2 - 1st, 2am. Whoa! Not enough I can say about TCM airing this one.

Outlaw Josey Wales - 6th, 8pm. Clint Eastwood gets the prime time slot over John Wayne? I can just hear it now, "Not on my TCM!!!"

Network - 11th, 4:15am. Really? 4:15am? Perhaps the most useless timeslot on television? Thanks, Turner. As Max says, "He's saying that life is [b.s.], and it is, so what are you screaming about?"

Journey into Fear - 15th, 6am. The best movie Norman Foster never made. Actually, I don't care if the rumors are true or not. Sometimes rubbernecking is fun.

The Third Man - 15th, 10:45am. Oh, I get, let's put all the Cotten flicks in the early morning, then round-out the afternoon and evening with James Mason, and close with... James Bond. All right, I take back everything I said in the "Essentials" thread, it's time to fire the programmers.

Lady from Shanghai - 17th, 10am. Hey, I know this film...

The Pursuit of Happyness - 20th, 2:15am. It's a good thing they put this underrated Will Smith gem in the late-night hours, it's definitely not up the usual TCM crowd's alley.

Cuba - 21st, 4:15am. From the man who ruined Superman II comes James Bond in his best role yet! I love this film. It's so awful. Not in the "So bad it's good" way or the rubbernecking "trainwreck" sense; instead, it's awfully entertaining (sorry, I'll do three hail marys to atone for that sinfully delicious pun) in the way only a late 70s/early-mid 80s Sean Connery film can be.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - 24th, 5:15pm. Yes, I love this film. Yes, I love David Lean. No, I am not apologizing for it.

Sahara - 25th, 7:45am. This must be the first Matthew McConaughey film broadcast on TCM. Again, not up the usual TCM crowd's alley, so a good thing it's an early run.

Terror in a Texas Town - 28th, 4:45am. There's that late night slot that keeps popping up. I'm seeing a trend.

The Big Heat - 29th, 3:30pm. Fritz Lang following "Lady from Shanghai" is a good match. I award someone at Turner points for this, though I assume it was considered a "grave error of judgment" on their part and they've probably all ready been fired.

The Great Train Robbery - 29th, 10:15pm. See Cuba above.

Tokyo Drifter - 31st, 2:30am. No Branded to Kill double-run? Whatever. Why is this on so late? Too violent? Too 60s? Too Asian? Come on, Turner.

Man, I'm boring.