Abandon Ship (1957)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Abandon Ship (1957)

Post by moira finnie »

Abandon Ship (1957) (aka Seven Waves Away), which was shown on TCM on Tuesday, May 5th as part of a tribute to Tyrone Power on his birthday, is a film that, for its time, was remarkably harrowing.
Power, who also helped finance the movie, which was written and directed by Richard Sale, starred as an officer from a sunken ship burdened with the care of an overloaded lifeboat after a luxury liner has been sunk. Among those clinging to the bark are Lloyd Nolan (who is so real it hurts as an injured member of the crew who sees his duty and does it, no matter what), a very young Stephen Boyd, Moira Lister, the always welcome Finlay Currie and Mai Zetterling (one of Ty's girlfriends around then, who wrote about their liaison in her fitfully interesting memoir, All Those Tomorrows).

While I've read that many viewers were appalled by Power's drawn and tired appearance in this movie, I suspect that may have been part of the actor's hope--to finally shed that too handsome veneer of his youth and to be noted for his acting, rather than his dazzling appearance. He'd tried to escape his fate as the prettiest man in the movies with his fine work in Nightmare Alley. His acting here, over a decade later, as the commander of the little boat, was really first rate and if he'd lived, I suspect that much better roles awaited him in later middle age. In that sense, I found this tough to watch, knowing how little time the man had left.

The movie always leaves me wondering: which would be worse, the physical or the ethical challenges in this harrowing situation. Perhaps others find this movie depressing, but it is the sort of thing that, when well done, as it is here, highlights the inner character of a cross section of people and the dilemma of having to make choices that seemed necessary at the time to help most, but not all, to survive.

Based on a couple of real life cases, from the period of WWII and with strong similarities to the real-life sinking of the American ship the William Brown in 1841, the following statement is heard over scenes of the passenger's rescue at the end of the movie: "This was a true story. In real life Alexander Holmes was tried for murder but sentenced to only six months because of the extraordinary circumstances."

I hope you'll share your opinion on the movie.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ollie

Re: Abandon Ship (1957)

Post by Ollie »

I liked the film, and it was wonderfully paired with WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION which delivers the Matinee Idol (well, before he was stabbed and killed; I'm glad he got better but he obviously he had to flee to the merchant marines.)

The comparisons to LIFEBOAT are inevitable, but ABANDON SHIP stands well on its own. This is a compelling story and, given a decent script, it can be a good film no matter who the actors are. But this ends up with a great list of second-stringers. Mr. Shunderson is there, neck A-OK. So's Michael Shayne. I can't believe Clifton Webb didn't try to stop the Irish-Nazi spy Stephen Boyd from signing on. Well, that's OK... he ends up on the bad side of a chariot race in a year or so. A lot of favorite not-usually-star actors are aboard.

The William Castle-esque ending narration was certainly a question that movie-goers would have asked themselves. I wonder if they poured water down the theater floor during the film, too?

IMDB uses "SEVEN WAVES AWAY" as the film name. I do prefer this change to ABANDON SHIP. I'm afraid I'd have thought this was a Rosalind Russell film otherwise.

On a more serious note, I kept thinking he'd have pushed the boat away from the rescuing ship, and never let himself be recovered as a way of accepting the deaths of the others.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This movie is one of my earliest movie memories when I first got into them as a teenager. Freaked me out. I kept putting myself on that life boat.I had no idea who Power was but I enjoyed watching him. Missed it but there will be another chance, I guess.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:This movie is one of my earliest movie memories when I first got into them as a teenager. Freaked me out. I kept putting myself on that life boat.I had no idea who Power was but I enjoyed watching him. Missed it but there will be another chance, I guess.
MILD SPOILER ALERT MILD SPOILER ALERT MILD SPOILER ALERT

Yeah, Chris, I know what you mean. When I first saw this on Million Dollar Movie as a kid, the scene when Lloyd Nolan insists on sacrificing himself completely unhinged me. I don't really see this as comparable to Hitchcock's Lifeboat, a movie I really love, but find Abandon Ship much more brutally realistic.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

I have never gotten to see Lifeboat... but will be looking that one up at the library soon because I would be interested in the comparison.

As for THIS film... OH MY GOLLY!!!

I missed the beginning Of this movie, so when I came in, they were already in the boat. I had NO idea what I was watching (in fact, never having seen the Hitchcock film, for a moment, I thought this one was it) but even though I did not get in on the first part of the story, I had to keep watching anyway. It was just so riveting.

(Possible SPOILER)
The whole concept of having to choose WHO will stay and who goes into the sea was just so emotionally devastating. This movie is one of those stories that draws you in almost as a participant. My eyes kept moving back and forth between the passengers as I was trying to decide who would go and who would stay... but HAPPILY not having to decide who SHOULD go or stay. It was very easy to sit in the warm cozy comfort of my safe (dry) couch and see the right or wrong of what was going on... but it would be another thing altogether to actually have to BE in a situation like that. If I had been Holmes, I think I would have jumped in the sea myself just to avoid having to MAKE a decision like that (ha) But truthfully, who knows WHAT we would all do if it ever came down to a crisis like that. I pray I never have to find out.

And the way Powers' character was treated by the survivors at the end of it all... almost as devastating as anything else... one by one those backs started turning. Wow.

This film was a good example of how adversity can often bring out the very best AND the very worst in people. You had sniveling cowards seated next to those who were more or less stoic and resolved about their plight also seated next to still others who were bound and determined to save themselves despite what happened to anyone else.... and then...you had the ones who wanted to save EVERYONE. They were all in the same boat both literally and figuratively, because they were all looking at the prospect of imminent death unless they were able to find a way to allow just SOME to be saved by the loss of others. It was either that.... or let the sea decide.

I have to say, the way it all played out was VERY believable.

I mentioned this yesterday in a conversation elsewhere, but when the names started getting named, and people started going into the water.... (did I mention OH MY GOLLY??) I gasped, I yelled... I cried. And my sweet 6 yr old came into the room and said something like... "Mama, are you ok? Do you need a hug?" And I was SO glad she was there... because at that moment... I DID!!