Can't Wait to See this Film!

klondike

Can't Wait to See this Film!

Post by klondike »

Has anyone else heard about this latest film from Quentin Tarantino, coming to theatres in August?

I think it sounds & looks too Cool 4 School!! 8) :twisted: 8)

[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Can't Wait to See this Film!

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Looks like a remake of the 1978 film.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/ex ... tards_1978

Trailer looks fun. 8)

I wish someone would make a realistic film of the S.S.F./ Black Devils someday.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The following is an excerpt from a August 27 entry on Jonathan Rosenbaum's blog:

Since many people have been asking me to elaborate on why I think Inglourious Basterds is akin to Holocaust denial, I’ll try to explain what I mean as succinctly as possible, by paraphrasing Roland Barthes: anything that makes Fascism unreal is wrong. (He was speaking about Pasolini’s Salo, but I think one can also say that anything that makes Nazism unreal is wrong.) For me, Inglourious Basterds makes the Holocaust harder, not easier to grasp as a historical reality. Insofar as it becomes a movie convention — by which I mean a reality derived only from other movies — it loses its historical reality. (emphasis in original)

Right or wrong about this movie, his point raises an interesting issue about any fictional film based on a violent reality.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

ChiO wrote:
Right or wrong about this movie, his point raises an interesting issue about any fictional film based on a violent reality.
But Inglourious Basterds isn't based on a violent reality, it is specifically based on the mythology of a subgenre of vintage films.
For that reason, it is much more accurately categorized as an Historical Fantasy Film, than a war movie; the single greatest proof of that distinction is when Tarantino's fifth chapter

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

depicts Adolph Hitler being riddled to death by a Basterd's machine gun bullets while trapped in a burning Paris theatre, as Borman, Goerring & Goebbels suffer fiery deaths, along with nearly half of the entire Nazi High Command. There are no doubles, it's not a dream, it's not a fake-out . . in the context of QT's alternate reality, it is the pivotal point of the Axis defeat in Europe.