Errol Flynn

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Errol Flynn

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Has anyone read Rory's book about her father, advertised here on Amazon

It is a very gentle Flynn, and a more traditional father who emerges in Rory's affectionate coffee table book, which features pictures more than text--though she is well aware of her father's foibles and loved him still. I believe that our member VecchioLarry is a friend of Rory Flynn and has mentioned her before. Here is a brief video about Flynn and his beloved home on Mulholland Farm, (now bulldozed and gone for some modern house in its place--maybe it's just as well. Residents said it was haunted by the actor, according to Tracy Nelson--Ricky Nelson's daughter--who lived there for a time). The video is a promo for yet another book, Errol Flynn Slept Here (Paladin), which I know nothing about. Anyone else?
[youtube][/youtube]

For the best book I've ever read on Flynn as a person and an actor, I would recommend Thomas McNulty's Errol Flynn: The Lfe and Career (McFarland), which is pricey but worth it. This bio is a labor of love, with a healthy distance from the subject and events, the author chronicles Flynn in a way that no one else has been able to--as a troubled man and a hard-working individual who longed to both escape from and to conquer the world of fame, and create something of lasting value. Btw, if you've never read My Wicked, Wicked Ways, the bio that Flynn wrote primarily to make money, you might want to read the edition that includes excerpts from journal entries from Flynn, which indicate a much more reflective side to his personality.

There is a new book that is supposed to be published soon, called Errol Flynn: The True Adventures of a Real-Life Rogue (The Scarecrow Press) by the scholar, Lincoln Douglas Hurst, who died in 2008. Since Hurst reportedly had unprecedented access to the actor's diary and those who knew him, it may be worthwhile reading--if it ever gets published (it was supposed to come out in April).

...he might have been a carouser but there was something else there too, some thing that comes across only from people who were close to him, like Nora Eddington and Shelley Winters. I've always thought Errol was saveable (is that a word?) but unlike Bogie, he didn't meet the person who would give him that important peace of mind and validation. I think he would have been a great character actor in his later years. I'd love to see the film he made about John Barrymore.
Too Much, Too Soon can be purchased in the U.S., though I don't think it is available in the UK...yet. Flynn was very good, though I wished the film had been a John Barrymore bio, instead of poor Diana's sad life.

Before I forget--you might enjoy perusing the very informative and current The Errol Flynn Blog, found here: http://www.theerrolflynnblog.com/blog
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

JackFavell wrote: I must be crazy, but I absolutely adore Elizabeth and Essex. To me this is Bette Davis at her Bette-best, her mannerisms flourish, she's all mannerisms in fact, but this actually makes me love her even more at the last moment of the movie. I think the tension (if there really was any) between Flynn and Bette adds to the picture, and Flynn's discomfort and eventual anger at being the subordinate partner really rings true. It's by far my favorite telling of the story, even when other good actors and actresses have played the roles. If someone mentions Elizabeth or Essex, these are the faces I picture.
The Bride and I love "Elizabeth and Essex" as well. It is pure Hollywood but it is well done and they both play their parts with verve. Sometimes she just pulls it off the shelf and have fun. I like the way the characters interact and the difference between when they are alone and with the "subjects."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm so glad you and the Bride like it too! I like the way it all plays out between them - neither one being able to give an inch, not out of stubbornness, but out of character - it's just who they were - and the thing that draws them together is also the thing that keeps them apart. So human!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Charge of the Light Brigade ... 1936 Errol Flynn Classic

This movie is based on the Battle of Balaclava (the Charge of the Light Brigade, the Charge of the Heavy Brigade and the Thin Red Line) ... War: Crimean War, Date: 25th October 1854.

Although, this movie is not totally accurate based on Historical Facts, Hollywood decided to cash in on Errol Flynn's charm with his long-time co-star Olivia DeHavlliand in this movie loosely based on the battle of Balaclava. The reason that I like this movie its reminded me of his movie when he did General George Armstrong Custer ... both are very similar in nature ... matter of fact the same rousing aspects! To me, Hollywood does a great job with Errol Flynn. His dashing good looks, his charm, and most importantly showcased his flair to the maximum.

I love the lush scenery, the wonderful photography, the romance of Errol/Olivia, and most importantly the costumes in this movie. It was a spectacle ... its truly was ... I wished TCM or any Movie Channels to show this epic film again, because it is done such a way that is rightfully entertaining ... It's has a galaxy of stars ... and that alone make it good.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Moira, thank you for the informative rundown on Errol's biographys. The recommended read is very expensive, I read My Wicked Wicked Ways years ago, you have to read it tongue in cheek because some of the tales are very tall but it's very entertaining and I could hear his voice telling the story. I also read the book by Earl Conrad, he was the man who helped write My Wicked Wicked Ways, it didn't contain a lot of information on Flynn as I remember. I have Inherited Risk which is interesting because it talks about his son Sean and his relationship with his father but it's not good on details about Errol.

Errol was the first male star from the by gone era that I became interested in, it's not hard to see why, that high wattage smile, the cheeky boy looks and ways and devil may care attitude, how I wish these sites had been around then, I was desperate to know more about him and after a couple of years of trawling through book shops I managed to find a copy of My Wicked Wicked Ways. He's almost like a first love to me. The films I had were worn out, I could probably recite Robin Hood at one time. I'm sure my parents thought it was strange for their teenage daughter to ignore the bands of the day and have pictures of Errol on her wall instead.

Elizabeth and Essex was one of my favorites, I've never warmed to Bette Davis as a person despite her being a very good actress, she might be the better actress but was anyone actually watching her with Errol on the screen, or perhaps that's just my favorable view of Errol coming through.

I loved the youtube clip :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Well, really...isn't that the truth? With Errol on screen, Bette HAD to be practically bouncing off the walls to get anyone to look at her. The man was excitement itself.
charliechaplinfan

Olivia De Havilland only really flourished when she stopped being Errol's leading lady, she was a great actress but what female would realise it?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Olivia De Havilland only really flourished when she stopped being Errol's leading lady, she was a great actress but what female would realise it?
I'm a little confused by your comment here ... "only really flourished when she stopped being Errol's leading lady" ... I thought she was so well known with Errol Flynn when they did 8 movies together. To me, her career already (at that time) was flourishing ... maybe I'm missing something here. Care to elaborate ... Allison?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think she meant that De Havilland wasn't thought of as a serious actress, winning awards and such, until she broke free of the title "Errol Flynn's leading lady".
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Jack ...

Good thing ... I'm a fast reader ... I did a quick glance at Olivia's IMDb and I finally figured out what you and Allison are thinking ... sometimes we need to pause a bit ... do a quick glancing ... and make an educated summation. Your post jarred my memory bank of Olivia's career as an actress. Thanks for your post ... Jack.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

No problem, kingme!
charliechaplinfan

Sorry for the confusion, Kingme. For years Olivia De Havilland was Melanie in GWTW and Errol Flynn's love interest in many movies. Only later on did I realise what a good actress she is, in films like The Heiress, The Snake Pit, Hold Back the Dawn and To Each His Own.

Wendy, you always seem to know what I mean.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

A penny for your thoughts, Errol? What was that? Jack Warner can what?

(Sorry. I just couldn't resist when I saw this picture.)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Haha, whatever he's thinking I'd like to bet it wouldn't be printable here.

He had a fractious relationship with Jack Warner, he liked the fact he lived above him so he could look down on him, yet did the men have a grudging respect for one another, I might be wrong but did I read that it was Jack Warner who gave the eulogy at Flynn's wake? Would Errol have liked that, had they made peace?

It's my feeling when reading about him I can't help feeling that his marriage to Nora and two daughters with her was perhaps the closest to domesticity that he ever achieved, I know he had another go with Patrice Wymore but that seems less successful.
charliechaplinfan

I'm confused about the Hurst book, our library has it available to be ordered printed in 2000, is the copy you spoke of Moira an updated version? Unfortunately they don't stock the McNulty book, it's way too expensive for me.