Errol Flynn

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: Errol Flynn

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I was just beginning to notice Bruce Cabot and like him as an actor. So much for that. I do hear you about the hint of a mean streak in him on screen....that explains it.

You know, that story could be the script for next year's academy award nominated movie - MY WEEK with ERROL.... only no one would believe it was true!

How very sad.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Who would you cast as Flynn, JackaaAaay?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Guy Pearce played Errol Flynn in that 1997 biopic, FLYNN.
Attachments
Flynn.jpg
Flynn.jpg (32.24 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I remember. We need someone with more bon vivant, joie de vivre...and masculinity.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Clive Owen? Maybe?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Would Hugh Jackman be a good choice--or does he lack a certain predatory glint?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was thinking about him, he's great, but I wonder if he's almost too impish. If you combined him and Owens, I think you might have the perfect actor to play Flynn, Jackman bringing the wry dark humor to the role, and Owens bringing a little scary masculine temperament.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hugh Jackman.

Clive Owen. (I saw him interviewed in SoHo's Apple store during the TriBeCa Film Festival a few years ago).

No, for me, these two don't feel quite right for Flynn. Jackman's too big...Clive too dark (temperament). We can't just slap a mustache on a guy and put a sword in his hands. (Unless it's Paul Rudd). Do you see either Hugh or Clive in Robin Hood tights? Rakish...rogueish ? I'll know the actor when I see him. Feel him.

Or has Flynn so broken the mold, that NO ONE can imitate (represent) him.

Hmmm.

?

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

To find an actor (anyone) to play the part of Errol Flynn will be a very difficult one to fill period.
CineMaven wrote: Or has Flynn so broken the mold, that NO ONE can imitate (represent) him.

Hmmm.

?
CineMaven ... I agree with you 1000%!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I almost said that - that no one could really portray him well. They just don't make them like that anymore.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Didn't Jude Law play him in The Aviator, very inadequately I might add. The one thing about Errol Flynn is whenever I see him on screen I have an intake of breath, I always forget just what a fine figure of a man he was, broad shoulders, height, very handsome chiselled features. Whoever plays him on screen has to have that ability to make the female half of the audience sit up and catch their breathe.

Thank you Moira for the write up on the William Tell debacle, I'd forgotten just how odious Bruce Cabot was and how far he took it, I didn't know about him winning a quiz show and pocketing 300k. One day I'll buy that biography, if it ever becomes affordable.

Seeing as I'm on a role I watched Never Say Goodbye, made around the same time as Cry Wolf where Errol plays a comic role of an artist divorced from his lovely wife, Eleanor Parker, still in love with her. The plot is a little hackneyed but the leads are so delightful that is doesn't matter. Errol sings, very well, does a Humphrey Bogart voice so well you'd think it was dubbed (I'm sure it was) and plays a physical coward, Warners managing to get an actor to make Flynn look small Forest Tucker doing the honours. Why didn't Eleanor Parker have a bigger career, she's so beautiful and vibrant on screen? A perfect partner for Errol.

I think I prefer the older Errol's on screen presence, the been round the block a few times knowingness really suits him.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I can see this thread is for ladies. So is this, but sometimes I have to pass some text through it.

Jude Law in The Aviator was playing a caricature, and a pretty lame one at that. From what I've seen of Jackman in interviews, I think he would play Flynn a lot more thoughtfully, with more integrity.

Sorry, I can't weigh in on the swoon factor.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

I really liked Duncan Regehr's portrayal of Flynn in the 1985 TV movie of MY WICKED, WICKED WAYS.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

intothenitrate wrote:I can see this thread is for ladies. So is this, but sometimes I have to pass some text through it.

Jude Law in The Aviator was playing a caricature, and a pretty lame one at that. From what I've seen of Jackman in interviews, I think he would play Flynn a lot more thoughtfully, with more integrity.

Sorry, I can't weigh in on the swoon factor.
:oops: :lol: I don't believe any thread on this site is for just one half of the human race. You and every other gentleman here are always welcome to chime in with your thoughtful and playful remarks.

To be honest, I don't find Flynn really attractive as a man, in part due to his deeply troubled nature, but it's hard not to enjoy his joyous and occasionally thoughtful manner in his heyday and even harder not to be a bit moved by his willful disintegration in the last years of his life, with sparks of the old brio occasionally showing through the miasma. When he was young, seeing him makes me wish I could have been him--full of ginger, bounding grace, rebellion, and high spirits, but never, ever would I wish to be with him--it seems to have been a shortcut to heartbreak.

I agree about Jude Law's complete inadequacy as a young Flynn in The Aviator. As a film I found it shockingly poor, coming from Scorsese--though from anyone else it might have gotten a pass, (Cate Blanchett is an actress I've liked in certain roles, but as Hepburn she was truly horrendous, at least to me). I wish I could forget the whole movie!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Image Image Image Image

In casting "MY WEEK WITH ERROL" if I have to sacrifice my self to meet with actors to see if they have Flynn's joie de vivre...I guess I will volunteer for that duty.

I am a fan of Errol Flynn...as an actor, a personality...and as a man who I find attractive.

Oh...and as for "The Aviator" ACK!! All of those characterizations were off. Hepburn, Ava...I think Gwen Stefani as Harlow was the best attempt.

P.S. Basil looks quite fetching as your avatar, Moira.