What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
Sepiatone

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Sepiatone »

MissWonderly wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:37 pm These are all great selections of music, I love it that the people here ( as was the case with the people on the old TCM boards) have such excellent and eclectic taste in music.
However, I am surprised that there seems to be no acknowledgement of the passing of Gordon Lightfoot. He was truly an outstanding songwriter. Many legendary musicians and fellow-songwriters thought so, including Bob Dylan, Harry Belafonte ( who also died very recently) and Johnny Cash.

Gordon Lightfoot wrote so many timeless songs, it's hard to pick just one to post here. But I think I'll go with one of his most popular, since I remember when it first came out. I was always hearing it on the radio, and it imprinted itself in my musical memory forever. Absolutely fantastic song, vivid lyrics and unforgettable melody.

But you know Missy? Whenever the name Gordon Lightfoot gets mention, my first thought is.....

Sepiatone
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Eugene Ormandy LA MER Debussy

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Man Smart, Woman Smarter has made the rounds. I first heard it by The Carpenters.
Here is another version:
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

y'know ALLHALLOWS, I too likes me some Debussy

Sepiatone
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jimimac71 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 2:21 pm Man Smart, Woman Smarter has made the rounds. I first heard it by The Carpenters...
There's this one too:

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Jessica Lange's cover of Lana Del Rey's "Gods and Monsters" was performed in character as Elsa Mars on AMERICAN HORROR SHOW: FREAK SHOW.
It's the perfect example of how a great actor (who's not a singer) can bring a song to life.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

MARTY ROBBINS Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs  

Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

NEIL YOUNG Decade

Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Now, HERE'S a gathering I'd have gladly paid good money to see.

Sepiatone
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE BLACK EYED PEAS The E.N.D. (Energy Never Dies)

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Several years ago, a friend took me to the New Victory Theater on 42nd Street to see the Tiger Lillies perform Shockheaded Peter, a musical based on the 1845 German children's book Der Struwwelpeter. It tells the story of what happens to naughty children. There were many parents with children in the audience; the parents were shocked at the gore, the kids loved it.

My favorite song is "Snip, Snip," which tells the story of Conrad, whose mother has to go out for a while. She tells Conrad not to suck his thumbs while she's out, or "the great big scissor man" will come and cut them off. She goes out, Conrad immediately sticks his thumbs in his mouth, and the scissor man does indeed arrive, to cut off Conrad's thumbs. His mother comes home, Conrad show her his hands, and bleeds to death. Here's the song, I love the music and the singer. I bought the CD. The Tiger Lillies have been called the "forefathers of Brechtian punk rock Cabaret."

Last edited by Swithin on May 10th, 2023, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

MissWonderly wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:37 pm These are all great selections of music, I love it that the people here ( as was the case with the people on the old TCM boards) have such excellent and eclectic taste in music.
However, I am surprised that there seems to be no acknowledgement of the passing of Gordon Lightfoot. He was truly an outstanding songwriter. Many legendary musicians and fellow-songwriters thought so, including Bob Dylan, Harry Belafonte ( who also died very recently) and Johnny Cash.

Gordon Lightfoot wrote so many timeless songs, it's hard to pick just one to post here. But I think I'll go with one of his most popular, since I remember when it first came out. I was always hearing it on the radio, and it imprinted itself in my musical memory forever. Absolutely fantastic song, vivid lyrics and unforgettable melody.

Oh Yes. I’d somehow forgotten about this song. But i won’t forget about it again. Thanks MissW.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Sepiatone wrote: May 7th, 2023, 11:52 am

But you know Missy? Whenever the name Gordon Lightfoot gets mention, my first thought is.....

Sepiatone
Wow. That is a great song. It’s a cover? I’ve never heard him do that one. Man, artists will kill you with their greatness.