Morning tea

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Morning tea

Post by JackFavell »

I thought it might be nice to revive an old custom that MissGoddess and butterscotchgreer had at the TCM website. Getting together in the morning for a little chat is always pleasant. Of course, the chat can continue or pick up at any time of day (or night), but the idea is to discuss whatever is going on in life or in the movies. I have never started a thread here before so bear with me if this topic is too general. This is just a place for old and new friends to gather for relaxed conversation and a little fun, without having to stay on-topic.
MissGoddess

Re: Morning tea

Post by MissGoddess »

Pull up a chair, everyone.

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Bonsoir, MissG!

I am sorry I didn't see your post till now, but I forgot to bookmark my own thread. hee hee!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Bonsoir, Mrs Johnson. Now where is our little sister? Her cuppa will get cold.

-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wowza, what a beautiful photo! Is it Gene Tierney with no makeup?

We seem to have lost Scotchie again.... maybe tonight is her late class?

Now I thought you'd be crashed out by now....
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:Wowza, what a beautiful photo! Is it Gene Tierney with no makeup?

We seem to have lost Scotchie again.... maybe tonight is her late class?

Now I thought you'd be crashed out by now....

Yes, it's Geniebeenie. It almost seems to forshadow her future scene
with Herbert Marshall in The Razor's Edge. Remember? When she
overturns the tea things in his lap? :)

Yes, tonight may be her late class, so we'll either see her late, late, late
or in the morn.

Believe it or not, I feel rather wound up. If you see me posting
pictures of the stars having tea at 4 o'clock in the morning...
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

If you see me posting
pictures of the stars having tea at 4 o'clock in the morning...
I'll know I have to conk you over the head with something! Maybe a large silver teapot? :D

Back to the photo - I wonder if that is her home? Obviously the dress is Cassini designed, but doesn't the room she is in look kind of like the Laura apartment, only huge?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

RE: Silver Teapot: I think that's the best Rx yet!

I wonder if it is her apartment. Since she's doing the
hostess job of pouring, maybe it is. I love the built-
in bookshelves
and I love her dress, I'd give anything to
have one like it.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love the built-
in bookshelves and I love her dress, I'd give anything to
have one like it.
I agree!I'll take the tea service and the settee. ha!

That dress is fitted so perfectly, and actually has a lot of material in it - they just don't make them like that anymore! All those little folds and tucks in the sleeves? Oh my it's just gorgeous!

And her hair.... I'd kill to look like that.

I think I am going to call it a night. I am starting to get a bit loopy and out of it. I'll see you at 4:00. :wink:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

The only problem with the dress is it was probably terribly warm to wear. In those days, nearly everything except cotton was really bad for holding in the body heat, and that looks like it was a light wool. Cotton was unheard of for anything except the house dresses that Harriet Nelson and Jeff's mom wore in Lassie. Tea in the morning sounds so good, but alas, I have nobody to share it with. Years ago I had a wonderful aunt who came over and we sucked up tea all day. I miss times like that. She was in her 60's like I am now, and she shared wonderful stories with me about things that happened when she was growing up. That would have been from the beginning of the century to the mid-sixties.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'll see you at 4:00. :wink:
:roll:

[youtube][/youtube]
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, dear.... I see you were up with Joe the bartender.... sorry I missed our 4 o'clock.

Did you have any idea that there was such a thing as tea trading cards? Apparently Barbers Tea carried these little beauties in their tea packets:

http://www.things-and-other-stuff.com/m ... arbers.htm

I tried to watch The Passionate Friends this morning. I seem to recall a morning tea chat over it when I was a newbie- you recommended it. I was just getting into it when Alice got up, and that ended my viewing. Ann Todd had just been served with divorce papers and was trying to find Trevor Howard. Todd looked simply stunning in this film, I've never seen her so beautiful. I got to see the part where they journeyed up the Swiss mountainside to have lunch. Of course, it being David Lean, the cinematography was heavenly - that mountain fairly vibrated with life, the mist rising from the ledges, and the flowers growing in amongst the peaks. Gorgeous! Now THAT'S the way to have a picnic lunch....

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Mrsl,

I was thinking the same thing - that dress looks like a light wool to me too. But wow, it is a knockout!The way it drapes.... besides, I have a hard time imagining Gene Tierney sweating, so I will steadfastly refuse to think about how uncomfortable that dress was....and concentrate on the beauty of that picture.

I hope you will share some of your stories of your wonderful aunt with us. I would love to have someone to drop by and have tea every morning. There was a small group of us a year or so ago, in my neighborhood, who got together for brunch once a month. We took turns hosting, and went round robin at each other's houses, but everyone got too busy to keep it up. We only went through one school year. That's alright, though, because one of the ladies was such a nasty gossip that the conversation inevitably turned to discussion of this woman's dislike of her son's teacher, the busdriver, her own friends, etc. It made me wonder what she was saying about us after brunch was over. :(
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'd say that gorgeous dress is either wool jersey, or crepe, two fabrics used for draping effect in the Olden Days before the synthetic stretchy stuff we are now used to.

And please, have you forgotten that we wore cotton dresses and slacks/shorts in the summer, not just housedresses, but going out of the house dresses as well? (See Ann Todd's dress - certainly cotton.) And what about summer weight organdy? And seersucker? And cotton piqué? And thin silk? And lots of other lightweight fabrics that kept us from fainting in the heat? How I wish you could still easily find garments made of such fabrics, instead of all the non-breathable polyester and rayon (who wants to wear rayon in the summer??????)

What I'm wondering is if Genie is wearing a girdle, which every woman wore back then, whether she needed it or not. Not to wear one, back in the day, was a sure sign of sluthood.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Don't forget that woolens, even jerseys, would be at least partially lined, usually
in silk. That's what I don't understand about modern construction of even the most
expensive designer clothes: they seldom line anything, even if it's the scratchiest
wool. Probably because they are often tighter fitting than those dresses used to be,
or they want to get all the profit they can without spending on what people can't
see. Not growing up with someone who sewed, too many women my age and
younger don't know something poorly made when they see it (why else do they
pay the same for something made in China as for something made in Italy? Yes,
they cost he same now, because manufacturers caught on to the fact most of
their clients aren't able to tell the difference anymore.)

I used to buy vintage dresses and my mother was a seamstress, so I always looked
for the ones that were lined, and when I have something made for myself I like
to have it lined. It not only makes the garment hang or "fall" nicer and smoother,
it keeps its shape forever. If only I could say the same about me!
:D
-- Will Rogers