Conrad Veidt's Most chilling Performance ?

sagebrush

Re: Conrad Veidt's Most chilling Performance ?

Post by sagebrush »

Veidt gave a splendid performance as a menacing magician in the 1927 silent film THE LAST PERFORMANCE.

Belle

Post by Belle »

Is "A Woman's Face" available in restoration please? If so, where can I get it?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

skimpole wrote: May 1st, 2023, 2:32 am Could somebody remind me how you post photographs in this forum? Because if we're going to talk about Veidt, I'd like to mention Contraband.
Easy peasy.

1. Always use "Full Editor and Preview" button at bottom before you start your post.

2. When you want to post your photo, click on button, above, which looks like a mountain. It's the ninth button from the left. Then, place your cursor in between the two units [img], and add the photo's url.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

skimpole wrote: May 1st, 2023, 2:32 am Could somebody remind me how you post photographs in this forum? Because if we're going to talk about Veidt, I'd like to mention Contraband.
Stolen from an earlier post responding to this question from someone else:

Below the message box, click Full Editor & Preview to open icon, formatting, and linking utilities.

Place your mouse cursor over the utilities to see pop-up descriptions of them.

The utility for inserting images in your messages looks like a box with a circle and a mountain (or cloud).

To insert an image:
Click the image utility.
img and /img (in brackets) appear in your message.
Copy the URL (address) of an image that you want to insert.
Paste the URL between img and /img.
The utility for inserting video clips (embedding media) looks like a computer (or TV) display.
Click the Media Embed utility.
media and /media (in brackets) appear in your message.
Copy the URL (address) of a video that you want to insert.
Paste the URL between media and /media.
Click Preview to see how your message will look.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!! "The bigger the ship the smaller the adventure"!!
Belle

Post by Belle »

Michael Powell apparently said that when they were filming the picture Alfred Junge, the designer, was effectively an enemy alien as the war had broken out with Germany and Junge was in the UK. Didn't stop the customs staff milling around Veidt, Hobson and (the German) Junge, full of questions (which could have proven a security nightmare for the allies!), laughter and camaraderie. They wall wanted to know what it was like being a movie star!! :smiley_worship:
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

klondike wrote: November 28th, 2009, 9:33 pm How about CV in a protagonist's role? :shock:
Check him out sometime as a heroic Danish sea captain battling Axis saboteurs during the London blackout, in Michael Powell's Contraband.
It can be a tough one to track down, but pretty darn rewarding if you can turn it up! :idea:
I love MICHAEL POWELL's films and I have not seen that one!
Belle

Post by Belle »

Allhallowsday wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 12:10 pm
klondike wrote: November 28th, 2009, 9:33 pm How about CV in a protagonist's role? :shock:
Check him out sometime as a heroic Danish sea captain battling Axis saboteurs during the London blackout, in Michael Powell's Contraband.
It can be a tough one to track down, but pretty darn rewarding if you can turn it up! :idea:
Do watch "Contraband"; it's still available on YouTube in restoration quality. But do hurry. It's hilarious and with a convoluted plot. Veidt is superb, and adorable!

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Belle wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 11:30 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 12:10 pm
Do watch "Contraband"; it's still available on YouTube in restoration quality. But do hurry. It's hilarious and with a convoluted plot. Veidt is superb, and adorable!

I don't think I've ever seen it and look forward to watching it. And I love Valerie Hobson, whom as you may know was Mrs. John Profumo.
Belle

Post by Belle »

You'll enjoy it as "Connie" Veidt is superb as Captain Anderson.

Anderson: "I'm going to buy you the biggest dinner you've ever had in your life"
Mrs. Sorensen: "Big words"
Anderson: "Big dinner!"

Of course, this banter is only a thinly-disguised sexual metaphor!!