Noirish Westerns

ken123

Noirish Westerns

Post by ken123 »

THE GUNFIGHTER, THE FURIES, BLOOD ON THE MOON,and PURSUED starring Robert Mitchum come to mind immedediately. My favorite is Henry King's THE GUNFIGHTER, but I also like Anthony Mann's THE FURIES starring Barbara Stanwyck and Walter Huston ( his final film ) alot. :cry:
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Another fine noirish western would be DEVIL'S DOORWAY (1950) starring Robert Taylor, also directed by Anthony Mann and beautifully photographed in black & white by John Alton. It's an MGM picture and TCM runs it fairly regularly. Highly recommended!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Dewey1960 wrote:Another fine noirish western would be DEVIL'S DOORWAY (1950) starring Robert Taylor, also directed by Anthony Mann and beautifully photographed in black & white by John Alton. It's an MGM picture and TCM runs it fairly regularly. Highly recommended!
Thank You for the head's up. I will have to watchout for it. :)
vallo

Post by vallo »

Saw it once. But Station West (1948) with Dick Powell and Jane Greer. One reviewer called it:"Marlowe in spurs."
Directed by Sidney Lanfield.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I would say that "Yellow Sky" is a noirish western. Certainly the black and white photography once the characters arrive in the ghost town is quite expressionistic. (Of course, this is the noir as style as opposed to the noir as attitude position.)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

As I said in another thread, Day of the Outlaw (1959) is a great Noir Western with nods to Key Largo and On Dangerous Ground. Also stars Robert Ryan to boot!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Well, I just watched "Pursued" on DVD, and I liked it a lot.

The movie had to overcome a lot with me. It plays better than one can synopsize it, because when I used to read about "Pursued," it always sounded artificial and too complicated. However, it plays out very straightforwardly.

No doubt thanks to Raoul Walsh, who seemed to give the town scenes a strong atmosphere that made me feel like the 1890s had been like that. He also brought a sense of brooding doom to the story, even the love scenes. The cast was also unusual, with Judith Anderson, Teresa Wright and Dean Jagger, actors I never really expected to see in a Western.

I wouldn't want all Westerns to be like "Pursued," but it was enjoyable.