Happy Cinco de Mayo

moira finnie
Administrator

Happy Cinco de Mayo

Post by moira finnie »

Happy Cinco de Mayo to all, and, since I can't pour anyone reading this a nice, frosty Margarita to celebrate, would you like to name a favorite movie, Western or otherwise, set, at least in part, in Mexico?

My first choice would probably be director Elia Kazan's Viva Zapata (1952). While it may be a largely fictionalized and sanitized account of the life of Eufernio Zapata, Marlon Brando & Anthony Quinn's performances alone make it worthwhile viewing for me--though I'm also very partial to Joseph Wiseman's acting in this movie. Wish that TCM could've run it as part of the Brando tribute this month.

Runner-up for favorite film set in Mexico for me might just be one of those movies that probably poured salt into the wounds caused by the friction between our two nations: Viva Villa (1934). Starring Wallace Beery as an endearing bandit, the vigorous Pancho Villa, and featuring Leo Carillo in an entertaining performance as his lethal right hand man, it suffers whenever the film focuses on the unfortunately weak characterization of Stu Erwin as a reporter. Of course, as many know, Erwin replaced the gifted Lee Tracy following a wee bit of trouble that the actor caused when "greeting" several Mexican military fellows who were passing below his hotel window. Nevertheless, an interesting and lively antique of a movie.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

John Ford's " The Fugitive ", I know that the name of the country is never mentioned, in the film, but is is Mexico. :wink:
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I'll settle in with a double dose of Sam Peckinpah: BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA and THE WILD BUNCH. Happy Cinco everybody!
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Happy Cinco de Mayo

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

[quote="moirafinnie"][bMy first choice would probably be director Elia Kazan's Viva Zapata (1952). While it may be a largely fictionalized and sanitized account of the life of Eufernio Zapata, Marlon Brando & Anthony Quinn's performances alone make it worthwhile viewing for me--though I'm also very partial to Joseph Wiseman's acting in this movie. Wish that TCM could've run it as part of the Brando tribute this month.
quote]

Totally agree. this needs to be issued on DVD. I am not a huge Brando fan, but this is a great film.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Dewey1960 wrote:I'll settle in with a double dose of Sam Peckinpah: BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA and THE WILD BUNCH. Happy Cinco everybody!
Two great ones as well Dewey! The Wild Bunch is defintely an Essential--much more than The Producers will ever be! I don't think Carrie Fisher would agree though. :roll:

"Alfredo" digs to the rotten core of humanity and one man's stubborness to swallow the worm at the center no matter the cost. Warren Oates gives a tour de force performance here that was worthy of notice by the Academy, but they just wrote it off as another "Bloodbath by Sam" which was a real travesty.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Y'know, Mr. A, I think it's safe to say there are a number of Sudden Sam's pictures that would easily qualify as Essentials (with or without Princess Lea's approval). What a remarkable, original artist he was!