Appreciation for Ginger Rogers

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Appreciation for Ginger Rogers

Post by mongoII »

After recently watching a slew of films starring Ginger Rogers on TCM I have to admit, although I liked her, that I appreciate her more. She is a star, a star who is versatile and appealing. I'm now looking forward to more of her movies.
And although I don't begrudge her the Oscar she won, I must say that Bette Davis should have won for "The Letter", that year.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Appreciation for Ginger Rogers

Post by moira finnie »

Not that this plethora of Gingerization of the board is a bad thing, but I think many of us have been pretty impressed by Ginger Rogers' talent this month, Mongo. We have two threads rolling on Ginger here and here. I loved seeing her in some of her obscure movies, but also found myself amused all over again by her rapport with Jimmy Stewart in Vivacious Lady (1938), a George Stevens movie that needs to be on DVD soon.

I've read that when they dated in real life, she was the one girl Jimmy met in Hollywood who single handedly brought the awkward, withdrawn youth out of his shell. Who knows? Maybe we have her to thank for Stewart's ultimate stellar work.
Jimmy and Ginger (without much makeup for once), out on the town in real life.

In Roxie Hart (1942), one of my favorite Ginger Rogers movies, looking like a shrinking violet next to Adolphe Menjou:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
princessmoon

Re: Appreciation for Ginger Rogers

Post by princessmoon »

I love Ginger, she is my all time favorite, so gorgeous and glamorous. And I love the way she talked. Her voice and way of speaking was very unique.