FREDRIC MARCH

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
feaito

Re: FREDRIC MARCH

Post by feaito »

Hi pals! This Fredric/Frederic chat made me want to investigate why Mr. March used Fredric instead of Frederick (his birth name) and I found this on Lawrence Quirk's "The Films of Fredric March":

Because he considered twelve his lucky number, he shortened Frederick to Fredric, shortened his mother's maiden name from Marcher to March, and as New Year's Day, 1924, Fredric March was born.

This has brought to my mind "Barbra Streisand"....Odd that she isn't Barbara? What about that change? :wink:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison, sorry to hear you've been ill. BTW, Ina Claire is the princess (countess?) in Garbo's Ninotchka. She was very pretty, plays a fairly unpleasant person in this. Seems like there was a backstory to her and one of the co-stars, of course I've slept since I read it, so who knows. I know! Moira or Judith or April or Lynn....
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Nancy, I think it was food poisoning from the buffet at Chris's Grandma's funeral. I'm getting back to normal now, which is a good thing because the kids have broken up for their Summer holiday, 6 weeks!!! I'll have gone mad by then. So, if I was going to be ill it was better this week than next week, at least I've had the peace to watch movies and get better.

Fernando, thanks for looking that up. Well 12 did work for him. Is there a good bio of him in that book? I've seen a cheap copy on Amazon. I don't think there are any other books out there. I think he must have led quite a quiet life, no scandal, no affairs, it would make for an uncommercial book with no headlines for the papers.

I've just rewatched A Star Is Born, the 1954 version is one of my favorite movies but I hold a soft spot for this movie too, especially certain scenes. The plate stacking scene, the honeymoon in the caravan. There is good chemistry between Fredric March and Janet Gaynor, anyway I've resurrected a thread I started a while ago on a Star is Born.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Alison, I'm glad to read that you are felling better. Take care of yourself.

I bought the book mainly because I'm very fond of the "Films of" series and March is one of my favorite actors, so I was happy to have a book which details every film he made. It also has a small overview of his life and career by Mr Quirk (23 pages). I don't believe there is any biography out there, except for one expensive (US$ 132!!) biography titled Fredric March: Craftsman First, Star Second (Contributions in Drama and Theatre Studies) available on Amazon.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know if this helps at all, but I do know that Fredric March went to the University of Wisconsin at Madison. When I was there, there was a beautiful portrait from A Bell for Adano hanging in one of the buildings and there are theatres at the University named for him.

It's possible that the University of Wisconsin has information or that their press printed a book about him. It might be a good place to start looking, anyway.
charliechaplinfan

Thanks both of you, I like the films of series, I have a few maybe I'll have to buy the one on Fredric March. I do know he had trained to be a banker, who can blame him for deserting that career for one in the theatre.

I'll have a look at the Wisconsin university website.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

It's been written that Fredric March and Veronica Lake were not happy campers on the set of "I Married a Witch":

March and Lake had problems, beginning with March's pre-production comment that Lake was "a brainless little blonde sexpot, void of any acting ability", to which Lake retaliated by calling March a "pompous poseur". Things did not get much better during filming, as Lake was prone to playing practical jokes on March, like hiding a 40-pound weight under her dress for a scene in which March had to carry her, or pushing her foot repeatedly into his groin during the filming of a from-the-waist-up shot.
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

What a delicious tidbit Joe. Thank heavens the film turned to be very good, in spite of their mutual dislike.
charliechaplinfan

I think the 40lb weight is funny but pushing her foot into his groin, that sounds quite painful. Still if he said that about her he kind of deserved some of it. I decided to look it up on imdb this is what is said.

Veronica Lake and Fredric March did not like one another, due in part to some disparaging remarks March made about her. During filming, Lake delighted in playing pranks on March, such as hiding a 40-pound weight under her costume when March had to carry her in his arms. In another scene in which the two were photographed only from the waist up, Lake stuck her foot in March's groin.

Many scenes had to be reshot because of the unprofessional behavior of Veronica Lake. Fredric March, her co-star, found her annoying and started to call the movie "I Married a b****". Other Lake co-stars held her in the same low esteem.

Sounds like he might not have been the only costar she had problems with, she looks so sweet too.

Sometimes I feel like feasting of films that someone has made, this foray into Fredric March films is particularly rewarding.
charliechaplinfan

I was wondering what to watch tonight and I looked up Nothing Sacred on the imdb and saw this under trivia

After one fight scene with Fredric March, 'Carole Lombard' had to take the following day off to recuperate from her scratches and bruises. To discourage March's attentions, she invited him to her dressing room one night; after preliminary fumbling, March discovered to his disgust that she was wearing a rubber dildo. He never bothered her again.

One wonders if this was Carole's sense of humour and wicked tell all nature or was there more to it than that, I can't imagine any man bothering Carole when she was with Clark Gable, I mean Gable's boots are too big to fill.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Look what I found re-Carole Lombard Alison:

"Lombard's fable "blue" tongue was deliberate calculation on her part. Annoyed by men making sexual advances to her, she enlisted the aid of her two brothers to teach her all the vulgar and obscene terms they knew. Her ploy served her well.

And with relation to Fredric March I found this:

March was such a determined womanizer that one female hairdresser has stated she refused to go to his dressing roon to fit him with a wig unless she was accompanied by a makeup man. But once he got a taste of his own medicine. March became thoroughly annoyed at homosexual costar Charles Laughton while they were filming The Sign of the Cross ('32), Why? Because Laughton kept trying to look up March's toga to get a glimpse of his genitals.
charliechaplinfan

Fernando, where have you been looking? I suppose it doesn't surprise me that he was a womaniser, I wasn't sure if I'd read something previously but couldn't remember whether it was him I'd read about or someone else, I suppose it was unusual not to be a womaniser with so many beautiful women around. He was married to Florence Eldridge until he died, so she must either have known and not minded as long as he was discreet or completely in the dark.

I watched The Sign of the Cross last weekend, they were really revealing costumes on most of the actors and actresses there did seem to be a competition between the characters played by Fredric March and Claudette Colbert as to who could flash the most flesh. I wonder if looking up March's costume was a joke on Laughton's behalf, they starred together in Les Miserables.

I watched Nothing Sacred tonight, I'd forgotten how funny and outrageous it was. Fredric March and Carole Lombard were a good pairing, I think Nothing Sacred is Carole's most romantic screwball comedy.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Fernando, where have you been looking? I suppose it doesn't surprise me that he was a womaniser, I wasn't sure if I'd read something previously but couldn't remember whether it was him I'd read about or someone else, I suppose it was unusual not to be a womaniser with so many beautiful women around. He was married to Florence Eldridge until he died, so she must either have known and not minded as long as he was discreet or completely in the dark.
I look it up in a couple of books full of saucy data about actors, actresses, quotes et al titled "Did He or Didn't He" & "Did She or Didn't She"...

Apparently Mr. March was a quite a womanizer, but on the other hand he was committed to his wife Florence Eldridge. Many men of that age -actors and non actors- had their homes and wives and at the same time had plenty of affairs. It was not unusual in those days.

March and Laughton starred together in "The Sign of the Cross" (1932), "The Barretts of Wimpole Street" (1934) and "Les Misérables" (1935) and they worked well together on screen...in spite of the shenaningans behind the scenes; in fact there's another anecdote concerning the filming of "Barretts...". According to these books Mr. Laughton shouted "The Man is shameless!", professing outrage because March wore no underwear beneath his ultratight, crotch-hugging trousers in that film...
charliechaplinfan

Those books sound fascinating Fernando. Not always the kind of information that crops up in biographies, I can imagine some names are mentioned more than others.

His affairs can't have threatened his marriage they were probably sexual affairs only.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Dear Alison, I bought those books in 1998 and 2001, they're kind of amusing in a gossipy way, although they list several sources for their entries, I tend to take some things with a grain of salt.

Re. Fredric's marriage to Florence Eldridge, I think theye were happy together and that they led a rather peaceful life. I have the feeling that if he had adventures or flirtations while he was married, they were strictly "studio bounded" and kind of unimportant flings on his part. In fact in this book (Did He or Didn't He) he is quoted as having said:

"I do not believe in matrimonial vacations. I am conservative, perhaps old-fashioned, domestically speaking. I like being married."