Zoo in Budapest (1933)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Zoo in Budapest (1933)

Post by moira finnie »

Zoo in Budapest (1933), directed by Rowland V. Lee is being shown on TCM early Monday morning on 12-6-10 at 3:45am ET. We have discussed this film in the past here, but this may be the first time that many people have a chance to see this rare film starring Gene Raymond as a man who has grown up in the zoo. He's not normally an actor whose later work is palatable to me, but this may be one of his better characterizations. A tremulous Loretta Young appears as an orphan teetering on adulthood who seeks refuge in this isolated scrap of nature. This Fox film also has some great cinematography by Lee Garmes, which has a European atmosphere somewhere between a fable and an indictment against the world's indifference to the beauty within it. The movie seems as though it might have been intended as a silent.

I hope you'll comment about it if you have seen it.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Re: Zoo in Budapest (1933)

Post by feaito »

It's great news!! It's such a beautiful film. I hope that TCM will show the best available print, as they usually do :D
feaito

Re: Zoo in Budapest (1933)

Post by feaito »

Moira..Did you watch it? How was the quality of the print that TCM aired? I'm curious. :D