Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 9:40 pm Wait a minute -- I think I did see MANOS.

One of the very worst!
I think I saw it on Mystery 3000. I miss that show! :( In all fairness though, it looked like it was made for less than $10,000. It's not like they thought they were making a good movie!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

lol, I miss it too.

By the way, have you seen THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR? My comments on it actually didn't go far enough in emphasizing the badness -- I was probably too kind but didn't mean to be, ha! Lana alternates between shellacked, steely self-absorption and breathy little-girl neediness (to Burton's Dr. Safti: "When did you know you loved me?") Her worst scene comes with the actual rain -- Ranchipur is physically crumbling and so is she, reduced to a puddle of tears as she screams at Fred MacMurray: "LET ME GO!! I NEED TO SEE HIM!! YOU'VE ALWAYS HATED ME BECAUSE I HAVE MORE MONEY THAN YOU!" This is indeed a bad movie to love. Whenever it's on I cannot stop watching.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 14th, 2024, 11:49 am lol, I miss it too.

By the way, have you seen THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR? My comments on it actually didn't go far enough in emphasizing the badness -- I was probably too kind but didn't mean to be, ha! Lana alternates between shellacked, steely self-absorption and breathy little-girl neediness (to Burton's Dr. Safti: "When did you know you loved me?") Her worst scene comes with the actual rain -- Ranchipur is physically crumbling and so is she, reduced to a puddle of tears as she screams at Fred MacMurray: "LET ME GO!! I NEED TO SEE HIM!! YOU'VE ALWAYS HATED ME BECAUSE I HAVE MORE MONEY THAN YOU!" This is indeed a bad movie to love. Whenever it's on I cannot stop watching.

No, I've never seen the Lana version. I like the original a lot and felt it would tarnish my feelings about it. Plus Richard Burton playing an Indian??? But your description has me vascilating now (LOL)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

If you get the Fox channel, it's on rotation there. Richard does not look happy in this role. With Burton's history of romancing his leading ladies, I wonder if a possible fling with Lana made everything a bit more tolerable.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

JackFavell wrote: May 11th, 2012, 7:28 pm Yesterday I watched Battle Cry, a movie I knew only from having read that James Dean was somewhere in it. I watched because I have an unreasonable liking for Aldo Ray.

The movie really struck me, because it didn't actually seem to be about war at all. It was more like some of the glossy soaps from the fifties. I enjoyed it very much, especially after I realized that it was kind of like a male version of The Best of Everything, with war substituting for the work world of a New York magazine empire.

BATTLE CRY SPOILED

Tab Hunter gets the Hope Lange lead from TBOE, trying to make it through basic training, becoming a good soldier instead of a business exec. He comes complete with love interest back home and complications involving the older but maybe not wiser Dorothy Malone, who managed to be trampy, overblown and sympathetic all at the same time. But in this film, Tab ends up going back to the home girl.

A cute actor that I liked a lot named John Lupton played the bespectacled Diane Baker type virgin, with a lovely Arlene Francis underplaying as his partner, who hides her past as a B-girl.

Hunky (not quite hulky yet) Aldo Ray was the Suzy Parker of the soldiers... a womanizer, too cool for school, and never going to let a woman get the best of him. He of course, falls hardest of them all for Nancy Olson, who is a war widow with issues, never planning to fall in love with anyone again. She makes lines like "Oh Andy! I'm afraid!" sound realistic. Olson seems to have always been a good actress, no matter how stupid her dialogue. Of course, her standoffishness makes her the perfect mate for commitment shy Aldo. Though Aldo doesn't do a nosedive from a skyscraper, he does lose his legs.

There was even a tough, hard driven boss who finally sees the light and connects with his young underlings.... Van Heflin in the Joan Crawford role.

James Whitmore is along to make it all seem a lot classier than it really is.

I was surprised when looking it up, that it's a Raoul Walsh film (!!!). I think he did fifties soap opera quite well.
Here's the BATTLE CRY review. Enjoy.