Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 11th, 2023, 6:41 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: July 11th, 2023, 3:56 pm
Hibi wrote: July 11th, 2023, 1:12 pm Speaking of bad movies, I was able to record and watch The Oscar a few weeks ago which I missed back in Oscar month! What a stinker! Even worse than I remembered. Cant decide which was worse: the script (Harlan Ellison co-wrote!!); or Stephen Boyd's performance. It's a close race! Tony Bennett is pretty bad too, but he's not really an actor (playing a character called HYMIE KELLY! He had a Jewish and an Irish parent!!) SOOOOOOO BAD. Some of the worst wigs/falls imaginable on poor Elke Sommer's head! BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes! I enjoy that one like THE V.I.P.s... terrific over-acting and melodramatic corn. :P
Terrific over-acting? Hey, Rod Steiger wasn't in The V.I.P.
There was another Rod, though. Rod Taylor! (one of the film's better performances along with Maggie Smith).
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: July 12th, 2023, 10:34 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 11th, 2023, 6:41 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: July 11th, 2023, 3:56 pm

Yes! I enjoy that one like THE V.I.P.s... terrific over-acting and melodramatic corn. :P
Terrific over-acting? Hey, Rod Steiger wasn't in The V.I.P.
There was another Rod, though. Rod Taylor! (one of the film's better performances along with Maggie Smith).
I agree those two give some of the better performances. Dick and Liz and Orson not so much.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

skimpole wrote: July 12th, 2023, 2:17 am ...
Considering that the movie is on this list (https://theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_rank1-1000.htm) (at #817) I'm not sure it fits into this category. It may be a great movie, an overrated movie, or a horrifying example of the atrocious collective judgement of movie critics. But is it really a bad movie you or anyone else loves?
Click on the link. I think within 90 seconds you could make up your own mind. It's BAD. And I LOVE it!
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

skimpole wrote: July 12th, 2023, 2:08 am
I suppose I would have found The Wife a better movie if it turned out that in fact it was Patrica Neal who wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But she didn't.
Sure. And I might have found "Bringing Up Baby" a better movie if it turned out that in fact it was CHESTER MORRIS who wrote "The Grapes Of Wrath" but he didn't.
:roll: :headbang:

Sepiatone
jamesjazzguitar

LostHorizons wrote: July 12th, 2023, 1:58 am “Bad movie” is one’s opinion but as far as cheesy B movies I really enjoyed Absolutely Quiet last week when it was part of the retrospective on B films. That was very suspenseful, tense and funny for a one hour movie.
Yea, it was a treat to watch the MGM "B" movie Absolutely Quiet. Interesting cast with a very young Louis Hayward and Wallace Ford, and other soon to be well known character actors like J. Carrol Naish and Raymond Walburn. As you note, a lot packed into its one hour runtime.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: July 11th, 2023, 1:12 pm Speaking of bad movies, I was able to record and watch The Oscar a few weeks ago which I missed back in Oscar month! What a stinker! Even worse than I remembered. Cant decide which was worse: the script (Harlan Ellison co-wrote!!); or Stephen Boyd's performance. It's a close race! Tony Bennett is pretty bad too, but he's not really an actor (playing a character called HYMIE KELLY! He had a Jewish and an Irish parent!!) SOOOOOOO BAD. Some of the worst wigs/falls imaginable on poor Elke Sommer's head! BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

A classic turkey to be sure, Hibi! I've always found Stephen Boyd guilty of overacting but here he definitely outdoes himself. I think Edith Head has a cameo which is never a good sign. (this also applies to Jose Iturbi; whenever he shows up in anything you know the film is a mediocre slog)
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Sepiatone wrote: July 12th, 2023, 11:59 am
I suppose I would have found The Wife a better movie if it turned out that in fact it was Patrica Neal who wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But she didn't.
Sure. And I might have found "Bringing Up Baby" a better movie if it turned out that in fact it was CHESTER MORRIS who wrote "The Grapes Of Wrath" but he didn't.

Sepiatone

Huh????

Obviously, you don't know what The Wife was about or you would understand the point that skimpole was making.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Hibi wrote: July 11th, 2023, 1:12 pm playing a character called HYMIE KELLY! He had a Jewish and an Irish parent!!
Kind of like this guy:
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 12th, 2023, 5:55 pm

A classic turkey to be sure, Hibi! I've always found Stephen Boyd guilty of overacting but here he definitely outdoes himself. I think Edith Head has a cameo which is never a good sign. (this also applies to Jose Iturbi; whenever he shows up in anything you know the film is a mediocre slog)

Also Hedda Hopper! Hopper died a month before the film was released so didn't get a chance to pan the film!
Last edited by Hibi on July 13th, 2023, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: July 13th, 2023, 6:00 am
Hibi wrote: July 11th, 2023, 1:12 pm playing a character called HYMIE KELLY! He had a Jewish and an Irish parent!!
Kind of like this guy:
LOL!!!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Saw Strait Jacket last week, and I think it qualifies. Joan Crawford playing a woman who did a Lizzie Borden to her husband and his lover returns to the outside world after twenty years in a mental institution, whereupon heads start rolling again. Crawford actually manages to give a wonderful performance in a William Castle production!
jamesjazzguitar

CinemaInternational wrote: July 13th, 2023, 10:17 am Saw Strait Jacket last week, and I think it qualifies. Joan Crawford playing a woman who did a Lizzie Borden to her husband and his lover returns to the outside world after twenty years in a mental institution, whereupon heads start rolling again. Crawford actually manages to give a wonderful performance in a William Castle production!
Solid choice. As for "qualifies": I understood this topic as meaning a film was generally consider "bad" by critics or audience ratings, but we still "love" them (find them entertaining). This one fits the mode to a T. From Wiki:

The film is listed in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book The Official Razzie Movie Guide as one of The 100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made.[8] The film also maintains an 88% rating on review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 8 reviews.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: July 12th, 2023, 11:29 pm
Sepiatone wrote: July 12th, 2023, 11:59 am

Sepiatone

Huh????

Obviously, you don't know what The Wife was about or you would understand the point that skimpole was making.
POINT? So enlighten me O sage.

Sepiatone