Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
laffite

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:53 pm I should add that Grant Williams achieved science fiction screen immortality by playing the title character in THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN. I am sure film fans (of any genre) would prefer to remember him there.
Well, we might as well remember him. We can't see him. :lol:
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Back in the good ole days, I was dating someone in the biz who worked on DEATH TO SMOOCHY '02. He was embarrassed by it and kept telling me it was "the worst movie ever".
Years later, I pulled out the old VHS review copy* & watched it-I thought it was the cutest & funniest movie! I couldn't BELIEVE no one liked it-didn't they get it? It's a black comedy. Just DeVito's evil talent agent should tip anyone off-he's hilarious! Nope, it was called "worst movie of the year".

It's the story of children's TV show hosts fighting for stardom- just the subject matter should tell you it's not supposed to be serious. And "Rainbow Randy" as played by Robin Williams has some pretty risqué lyrics to his kiddie songs, if anyone paid attention. I could not stop laughing every time the lead charactor (Edward Norton) name was said; Sheldon Mopes.(Mope is PO term for saggy pants street hood)
This movie has so much talent packed in with support by Harvey Fierstein, Vincent Schievelli & the criminally underused Pam Ferris.

*review copies had random scenes in B&W so it wouldn't be sold on the secondary market, heh.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

I just watched one of my favourites again for the fourth time. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970). I don't even know if I would call if a bad film. But its tendency to appear a bad film and the way it excels at that put it in my top ten films of 1970. It's incredibly fun.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite wrote: January 26th, 2023, 12:17 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:53 pm I should add that Grant Williams achieved science fiction screen immortality by playing the title character in THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN. I am sure film fans (of any genre) would prefer to remember him there.
Well, we might as well remember him. We can't see him. :lol:
BADABING!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:15 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 8:36 pm In a Bad Movies You Love pantheon, SUSAN SLADE is, if not quite "up there", then pretty darn close. It has a favorite movie quote of mine (Connie Stevens to aspiring novelist Troy Donahue): "One of these days there'll be a plaque -- Robert Louis Stevenson, John Steinbeck, and Hoyt Brecker" There isn't a hint, however, that she has read any of his work. The idea that an endeavor Troy Donahue's character could embark upon be described as immortal is truly mind-boggling.

We are supposed to believe that upon first glance, dashing mountain climber Grant Williams falls helplessly in love with shy, stammering, socially inept 17 year old Susan. A forbidden shipboard romance between the two (Connie: "We've been sinful") produces, shall we say, complications. Cognitive dissonance with a simutaneously warm yet coldly rigid Dorothy McGuire, who in certain scenes looks unnervingly like a chic gargoyle, and good old Lloyd Nolan, play Susan's parents. There are drool-worthy scenes of the gorgeous modern Asian-decorated cliffside Northern California home which Nolan's grateful boss Brian Aherne bestows upon the family. It also seems to come complete with a beautiful young Chinese housekeeper who you will probably think is Aherne's mistress given all those mature rogue-ish characters he was so effective at playing.

The terminally earnest Troy is around in the background, trying to clear his father's name. Did this "actor" ever crack a smile in any of his films?)
Bronxie, did you notice the truly hideous mustard-colored dress Dorothy McGuire wears in an early scene? You could not possibly pick a worse color for Dorothy. In A Summer Place the costumer gives her some shades of blue which make her look quite pretty.

I am also a big fan of Troy Donahue as the obvious choice to play the Great American Novelist, and that house in Monterey is so beautiful.

Oh yes, kingrat! Truly unbecoming for Dottie. I guess after marrying Lloyd Nolan (she was supposed to be a former fancy-schmanzy sophisticated model) some of that fashion sense went out the window. Her wardrobe (and character) in A SUMMER PLACE is much more flattering.

Troy pecking furiously away at his typewriter, such creative energy.

How long did they actually stay at that house before scurrying back to Central America in disgrace?
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on January 26th, 2023, 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:18 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 4th, 2022, 1:55 am ScreenPix has been running THE CARETAKERS.

Please be advised that Miss Joan Crawford plays the asylum's nursing administrator who gives judo lessons to her staff (all of whom, including Joan, wear black Danskins) so they will be physically equipped to deal with surprise attacks by violent patients.
And let's not forget that Joan has Constance Ford as her assistant!

Oh yes! Ups the camp value to eleven!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hi, TikiSoo and Feinberg!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Cool new avatar, laffite!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:18 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 4th, 2022, 1:55 am ScreenPix has been running THE CARETAKERS.

Please be advised that Miss Joan Crawford plays the asylum's nursing administrator who gives judo lessons to her staff (all of whom, including Joan, wear black Danskins) so they will be physically equipped to deal with surprise attacks by violent patients.
And let's not forget that Joan has Constance Ford as her assistant!

With Connie around, who needs Judo lessons?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 8:36 pm In a Bad Movies You Love pantheon, SUSAN SLADE is, if not quite "up there", then pretty darn close. It has a favorite movie quote of mine (Connie Stevens to aspiring novelist Troy Donahue): "One of these days there'll be a plaque -- Robert Louis Stevenson, John Steinbeck, and Hoyt Brecker" There isn't a hint, however, that she has read any of his work. The idea that an endeavor Troy Donahue's character could embark upon be described as immortal is truly mind-boggling.

We are supposed to believe that upon first glance, dashing mountain climber Grant Williams falls helplessly in love with shy, stammering, socially inept 17 year old Susan. A forbidden shipboard romance between the two (Connie: "We've been sinful") produces, shall we say, complications. Cognitive dissonance with a simutaneously warm yet coldly rigid Dorothy McGuire, who in certain scenes looks unnervingly like a chic gargoyle, and good old Lloyd Nolan, play Susan's parents. There are drool-worthy scenes of the gorgeous modern Asian-decorated cliffside Northern California home which Nolan's grateful boss Brian Aherne bestows upon the family. It also seems to come complete with a beautiful young Chinese housekeeper who you will probably think is Aherne's mistress given all those mature rogue-ish characters he was so effective at playing.

The terminally earnest Troy is around in the background, trying to clear his father's name. Did this "actor" ever crack a smile in any of his films?)

I am not a fan of Max Steiner being perky.

The baby burning scene is too DIE for!!!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LOL It most certainly is.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Speaking of bad movies, did anyone catch Portnoy's Complaint last night? I was amazed this popped up on TCM. I hadn't seen it since its release (I recorded it, too late for me). Was it a TCM premiere? I don't remember it being shown before. Ernest Lehman's first and last directing effort.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I was prepared to stay up for the entire line-up (Christopher Walken unforgettable in BILOXI BLUES, lol) but fell asleep during the first five minutes of PORTNOY. Don't know if I should be happy or sad about that.